Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Gate Western Wear Hats - BEWARE!!!!!!!

msm007

One of the Regulars
Golden Gate Western Wear, known also as Knudsen Hat Co. My criticism, here, is more about the service than the quality of hats.

I started getting into western hats about a year ago. I wore an Akubra Snowy River hat to help get me used to the larger western style hats (4 inch brim and 4+ inch crown), and wear older/vintage Resistols (Diamonds) and Stetsons on a regular basis. At the time I did not know very much and just wanted some well made hats for my free time. I searched the web for both price and quality and thought that Knudsen might be a good combination of the two. I even called them for information about the hats. Because of the long waiting time - 28 weeks (yes, 28 weeks!!) I decided to take the plunge and order two hats.

I ordered a Gus style hat 10X with distressing on it and a Josey Wales hat with distressing 10x.

After about 28 weeks the Josey Wales showed up. The quality of the felt seems good and it holds up well to rain. But the hat was not my size, I had to stretch it a least one size and the cavalry cord around the crown was not really centered. After waiting 28 weeks you want it to be done correctly. I also noticed that the outside cord was glued, not sewn, so hopes of fixing it were not too good.

The Gus style hat was nowhere to be seen and they had not informed me of any delays. I called the store and was told that the hat bodies had run out and it would take a while to get more from the suppliers. During this time I was trying to decide if I should cancel the second hat. I took a few days, but when I contacted the store was told that it was too late.

Ok, after another few weeks the hat shows up. (A note, as I live in Sweden, my relatives sent the hat to me from Texas.) Upon receiving the hat I notice that it is not finished - there is no distressing which I paid extra for! I immediately call the store tell them the problem and ask if they will cover shipping both ways (as I live in Sweden). The girl checks with the boss and he says OK. I ship the hat off the same day for 40 dollars.

They receive the hat and say that it will be fixed shortly.

After 2 weeks they contact me by email and tell me that the saleswoman misspoke - they would only cover shipping to Texas not Sweden. I explain that they already agreed and that I should not have to pay for the saleswoman's mistake or the stores. That hat was only returned because it was not finished. They stand fast - only payment one way (which is what shipping would cost to and from Texas). I also asked them not to state the value of the hat in the shipping label - otherwise I must pay taxes. They would not cover those expenses.

3 weeks goes by with no word. I call the store and am told that the hat maker decided to remake the whole hat. They say that the hat will be sent shortly. Another couple of weeks go by and after repeated requests by email, I decide to call the store. I speak with the owner and am told that the hat is ready and will be shipped the next day. The distressing is done. I ask him if the crown is distressed and he says yes the whole hat. Only problem is I asked for no distressing on the crown via a letter sent back with the hat and per telephone with the store.

I received the hat today and had to pay 100 dollars in taxes + 40 dollars for shipping that they would not cover (although they said that they would). The hat is rather nice, but it isn't worth 455 dollars!!! The price of the hat + shipping and taxes.

Moral of the story - Golden Gate Hats - BEWARE!!!!!!!

I would not recommend them.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wrote Mr. Knudson a short missive (slow day for me).

SUBJECT: Customer Service means you are here for them, not the other way round, eh?

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 10:59 AM

know that fella over in Sweden that you done dirty over his two hats?

Yeah, him. How many Swedish orders do you get & then repeatedly screw up?

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=53644

Makes ya'll sound like the three stooges, not to mention unwilling to stand behind your products, services or personnel.

Hell of a way to run a railroad.

Guess I'll head over to Major Moore for my custom western needs.

Way to alienate 16,301 potential customers. Well done.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tiger of Svenska

Tiger1.jpg

tiger2.jpg

Love the liner!

Whats the matter, msm007, home-grown not good enough? Tiger Hat ;) Looks nice from here. I wanted to bid, but my budget is soooo busted! Do you know anything about them? I have never seen one. Do you know if they make 100% fur felts?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Hmm, that's a shame. From what I've seen, they have very interesting hats, based on many of the classic western films between the 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s, beyond as well. They seem to make what appears to be an accurate representation of The Man With No Name hat as well. I was considering them for the [distant] future, but I'm holding back for now.

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Bad news travels fast

Many thanks for sharing your bad experience with us.

I was going to use them when the exchange rate was a bit better after a thread on here. They were cheaper the "The Last Best West" who had a hat I liked but hey bad service is bad service.

So the lack of paying $40 (that was mistake on their part) has lost a $300 order! and possibly more orders. Where's the bussiness sense in that, eh?:eusa_doh:

thank goodness for the FL on saving me money and stress. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails