Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goldtop England

Yellowperil

New in Town
As a little bonus, because I feel so fragile today and have more spare time than I need.
Here is a pair of vintage Goldtop boots I bought last week.

I have to say I am not a fan of the usual Goldtop boots, to my mind they look a little bit like Jackboots, I just don't like that style

Anyway, I spotted these on eBay last week and they are more the style I was looking for.
Again, I am unsure of how old they are, but probably the late eighties. The label is the original Styled by Godfrey's label.
These were unworn, although they weren't in the original box.

They have a Vibram sole, the interior lining is Cambrelle and I assume it has a Aquatex membrane.

The oversized tongue is attached to the shaft and the lining is one piece, so although it is a lace up boot it is sealed against water at the front more like a contemporary motorcycle boot. Also it would appear the whole upper has been sealed to the sole to keep water out.
forgive me if am not using the correct terminology for different boot parts.

anyway I will let the pictures tell the story.

Attachments

• IMG_20210115_153901.jpg
    IMG_20210115_153901.jpg
    481.7 KB · Views: 985
  • IMG_20210115_153928.jpg
    IMG_20210115_153928.jpg
    458.6 KB · Views: 956
  • IMG_20210115_153944.jpg
    IMG_20210115_153944.jpg
    498.5 KB · Views: 947
  • IMG_20210115_153954.jpg
    IMG_20210115_153954.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 953
  • IMG_20210115_154005.jpg
    IMG_20210115_154005.jpg
    497.9 KB · Views: 944
  • IMG_20210115_154116.jpg
    IMG_20210115_154116.jpg
    462.4 KB · Views: 935
  • IMG_20210115_154216.jpg
    IMG_20210115_154216.jpg
    451.9 KB · Views: 940
  • IMG_20210115_154244.jpg
    IMG_20210115_154244.jpg
    478.9 KB · Views: 1,011
  • IMG_20210115_154308.jpg
    IMG_20210115_154308.jpg
    461.1 KB · Views: 1,013
  • IMG_20210115_155648.jpg
    IMG_20210115_155648.jpg
    685.5 KB · Views: 971
Last edited:

Yellowperil

New in Town
Three?
That is just greedy.
One on,
one clean,
and one in the wash.

I have posted on the RAF jumper/Submariner thread about my attempt to purchase a Submariner.

Edward

Bartender
I have three GoldTop Merino wool Submariner sweaters and they are outstanding. My favorite sweaters.

Got my eye on a black one myself. Bought my dad one of those for his birthday a couple of years ago, and he was well thrilled with it. (He hasn't ridden for a while since a pal of his who was the one he used to take the bikes out with on a Sunday morning died about eight or ten years ago, but he still enjoys a good quality sweater!) Also liking their quarter-zip, American style racing sweaters with the BSA legend...

I have posted on the RAF jumper/Submariner thread about my attempt to purchase a Submariner.

Hope your migraine has passed! Thanks for going to the effort to post your jackets, they look great. I think the guys behind the Goldtop revival have been very clever in the line they've taken, not only in doing the 'British retro' vibe so well without veering too close to copying Lewis (an easy trap to fall into I'm sure given Lewis is such a huge name in these parts), but also in spotting the trend towards vintage looking riding gear with modern safety appointments. I very much have my eye on the 59 model, with an intent to patch it up and customise. Something that, tbh, I'd be very reluctant to do to one of my Aeros at the price difference.

Yellowperil

New in Town
The migraine has passed now, it took me three days to get over it though.

I concur with what you are saying about the Goldtop revival, they have somehow managed to find a niche in a niche market, very clever.
Having protection hidden in a classic looking garment is the best of both worlds and I do believe they are getting a good reputation for quality.
I do like Lewis Leathers, but they are a bit too pricey and to my mind they are maybe selling more to people that don't ride, not saying there is anything wrong with that, just an observation. I would love a pair of their flying boots.
I really am not a fan of Power Ranger type designs, but that used to be the easiest way to get gear with protection built in.
Not all of us want to look like a World Champion when we are just off for an afternoon ride.

Edward

Bartender
It just amazes me that it took, what, the guts of a decade of the retro bike trend being around before it seemed to occur to clothing companies to make jackets and - finally now - affordable (full face) helmets to suit!

Twit

One of the Regulars
My day to day bike jacket is a Goldtop and its a great jacket. It s a Bike Shed designed one so its not often seen on the main Goldtop website. It takes armour but off the bike it doesn't really show aside from the back panel and the leather is wearing well.

The only thing I would say is that they are not really all year round jackets, the designs are pretty trim and work on that basis, I don't think I could get a jumper underneath it but that isn't a huge issue as my days of riding all year round in whatever the weather are pretty much over now :)

In fact from a work perspective my days of leaving the house at all are just about over!!! I'll dig it out of the cupboard and some point and take some pictures.

Edward

Bartender
the-bike-shed-mc-bsmc-x-goldtop-mcnicol-jacket-black-22661594874007_800x1000_crop_center.jpg

Is this the one? Similar to their traditional belted design, but without a belt. Nice looking.

I think for colder weather the best option might be those kevlar undershirt / longjohns with armour padding built in, and a lot of layers over the top! ;)

Twit

One of the Regulars
Yes, that's it, only I have it in brown.

For really cold weather the best thing is a heated vest plugged into the bike. That keeps the core warm and hopefully blood circulating everywhere else! Add heated grips which are essential - I run them in even quite warm weather - and you are as set as you can be. The younger me would laugh at such 'essentials' but the younger me would also laugh at quite a lot of other things as well!!

Twit

One of the Regulars
I've taken a couple of pictures of the jacket, I had to dig it out of the cupboard...

I don't really take much care of this aside from clean it once in the winter to wash the bugs etc off! There areas till a few there... its wearing pretty well and although its not that obvious this is an armoured jacket. I am normally a 40 inch chest, of I wanted a really snug fit I can wear a 38 but 40 is nicer. This is a 42 to take account of the armour, especially in the back. Once its on it fits somewhere between a 38 and 40 would. On a bike that is good as the last thing you want is any fabric / leather flapping around!

resized_ab537c68-44a2-4349-b6f2-9da70e522dad.JPG

resized_e6495b41-bf49-4e8e-abdb-d3091c729225.JPG

resized_62f9d890-ed8c-4385-93f4-9931321adad1.JPG

resized_fd398162-5fa8-4406-9724-1393b346f83f.JPG

As a bike jacket its great but take the armour out and it works as an everyday jacket. The quality is really good, certainly up to the standard of any other jacket I have. I'd say in feel its closest to Lewis Leathers I have a Dominator, but not as obviously retro in its design.

Yellowperil

New in Town
That is a nice jacket, I have never seen one in the brown before.

How comfortable is it with the back armour fitted?
I have a textile with a spine protector in and it is always noticeable, I haven't got a protector in my Goldtop leathers, but i could swap it around between them all I suppose.

Edward

Bartender
I've taken a couple of pictures of the jacket, I had to dig it out of the cupboard...

resized_62f9d890-ed8c-4385-93f4-9931321adad1.JPG

Am I seeing this right - there's only one of the studs that has the logo on it, the rest are plain? If so, that's an extremely cool feature.

As a bike jacket its great but take the armour out and it works as an everyday jacket. The quality is really good, certainly up to the standard of any other jacket I have. I'd say in feel its closest to Lewis Leathers I have a Dominator, but not as obviously retro in its design.

I'm normally very cynical about "vintage inspired" designs, as typically they take away all the features I like to turn it into something modern I don't want, with some added marketing speak about "heritage". This, on the other hand, is very nicely done. There are a few companies have been making a version of the classic belted jacket but without the belt like this for a while - Vanson among them. This is probably the nicest version I've seen, really does maintain that vintage look without modernisation. To my eye it looks like it might be fractionally shorter as well than the belted version? A nice, midway point between the shorter, 'Mojave' style and the International / Trialmaster types. Looks like the armour pocket entry is nicely done in there too - an awful lot of 'retro' jackets really let themselves down with an uber-modern looking liner, imo. This is well done.

Twit

One of the Regulars
That is a nice jacket, I have never seen one in the brown before.

How comfortable is it with the back armour fitted?
I have a textile with a spine protector in and it is always noticeable, I haven't got a protector in my Goldtop leathers, but i could swap it around between them all I suppose.

Its not too bad with back protector in, but that is because when I tried it on I bought it to take into account the armour. If I had bought my normal 40 jacket I think I would struggle to get the jacket done up with the armour as it is pretty thick. Once on the bike I forget its there... Same as the elbow and shoulder armour. I have worn it without armour as well and its still a pretty decent fit. If I was just riding round town I wouldn't bother with armour but I do for any distance.

Twit

One of the Regulars
Am I seeing this right - there's only one of the studs that has the logo on it, the rest are plain? If so, that's an extremely cool feature.

I'm normally very cynical about "vintage inspired" designs, as typically they take away all the features I like to turn it into something modern I don't want, with some added marketing speak about "heritage". This, on the other hand, is very nicely done. There are a few companies have been making a version of the classic belted jacket but without the belt like this for a while - Vanson among them. This is probably the nicest version I've seen, really does maintain that vintage look without modernisation. To my eye it looks like it might be fractionally shorter as well than the belted version? A nice, midway point between the shorter, 'Mojave' style and the International / Trialmaster types. Looks like the armour pocket entry is nicely done in there too - an awful lot of 'retro' jackets really let themselves down with an uber-modern looking liner, imo. This is well done.

- Yes that it right, it just has the logo on one popper. That is also the only external branding anywhere which is very much one of is selling points!

- It is, compared to more modern styled jackets, a bit shorter. I don' ride sports bikes so a shorter jacket isn't a problem, if I did I might want a longer jacket as the crouch position can make jackets ride up a bit. The liner is really nice, very comfy and as you say once the armour is in its all pretty hidden. I'll see if I can get / find any pictures of it being worn. The weather has been that grim I don't think I've looked at a bike in months! Normally there is the odd crisp winter day that they can come out but this year is a disaster.

Alongside the bikes I also have a Caterham car... another toy... and even that hasn't been out this winter! Not good!

Edward

Bartender
- Yes that it right, it just has the logo on one popper. That is also the only external branding anywhere which is very much one of is selling points!

- It is, compared to more modern styled jackets, a bit shorter. I don' ride sports bikes so a shorter jacket isn't a problem, if I did I might want a longer jacket as the crouch position can make jackets ride up a bit. The liner is really nice, very comfy and as you say once the armour is in its all pretty hidden. I'll see if I can get / find any pictures of it being worn. The weather has been that grim I don't think I've looked at a bike in months! Normally there is the odd crisp winter day that they can come out but this year is a disaster.

Alongside the bikes I also have a Caterham car... another toy... and even that hasn't been out this winter! Not good!

The Caterham is a nice beast indeed. If ever I had the space and cash for that kind of thing, I have my eye on one of the humbler repops of the three-wheeler Morgans - even the simple 2CV powered version would be great fun. Flat black body, p45 style sharkmouth graphics.... ahhhhh ....

barnabus

One Too Many
I rode over to the newly-opened Goldtop bricks and mortar store today. It's a smashing little place with loads of stock jackets in, I think, all their available designs.

I spent over an hour and a half there chatting about what they've got in the pipeline and their plans for the range. Interesting that they will custom make jackets in any of their available leather colours - or in other colours to order. There was a gorgeous '76 Cafe Racer on the rack in a matt Olive Green, which they'd custom made for "an actor".

I tried it on, but it was a 38 and too trim for me. Beautiful though.

barnabus

One Too Many
Oh, also. I was asking if they might be able to make me one of their Lancer jackets in a sandy brown, with white sleeves. I had visions of something sixties-style Bates racer-esque. He was pretty positive about the prospect.

Might be something for the new year if I can pull some pennies together.

Edward

Bartender
I'm hoping to get a chance to get a look there myself in coming months. I do like the look of their midnight blue hide. Looking forward to seeing the stuff in person.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran