Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golf...the vintage way

koopkooper

Practically Family
Well for 2006 I've decieded to take up a sport and after much consideration Golf is the way to go because...A/ Dean Martin loved to play
B/ I can smoke while I play (and Drink too!!)
C/ I can wear at hat whilst playing
D/ They have bar at the club

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any pictures or suggestions about vintage golf wear and or clubs. I'm into late fifties/early sixties style of clothing so probably hints around this period.

Anyone else play who hangs out here

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I too am thinking about taking up golf, both my parents used to play and it seems like a great game.

If you are into 60's style golfing take a look at Goldfinger for one, Sean Connory's golfing attire would probably be just what you are looking for.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Vladimir Berkov said:
I too am thinking about taking up golf, both my parents used to play and it seems like a great game.

If you are into 60's style golfing take a look at Goldfinger for one, Sean Connory's golfing attire would probably be just what you are looking for.

Man Goldfinger is a great movie for mid-cenury golf. I would also recomend seeing the Leagend of Badger Vance with Will Smith for starters.

Bayern

New in Town
koopkooper said:
because...
A/ Dean Martin loved to play
B/ I can smoke while I play (and Drink too!!)
C/ I can wear at hat whilst playing
D/ They have bar at the club

Great "rational" If I didn't play golf already.....I'd take it up based on those same reasons!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I play golf. Here's a pic of a mural from my old high school with me putting (I was on the golf team). They took this pic from the yearbook and years after I graduated I became part of the mural. Funny thing is I didn't know about the mural until 2004 or 2005. A coworker who's son goes to my old high school, happened to be at the campus and said, "That sure looks like Holly." Upon returning to work, she asked me if that was me. I was like "I dunno because I don't know anything about a mural there."
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/wickie7/MHSmural_Holly1.jpg

Unfortunately, due to lack of time, I don't get to play very often, but I sure love the game.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Auric Goldfinger wore plus fours- James Bond wore what, for the time, was cutting edge golfing togs with designer logos.

Although, judging by what I see on the greens these days, Connery's look would be considered pretty conservative.

Check out some old photos of Bobby Jones for a real classy look. When was the last time you saw a golfer wearing a club collar shirt, necktie and a collar pin?!!!

Fu Manchu

One of the Regulars
Goldfinger

Ah you're right! I think that the plus fours were pretty great, actually. Now where can I get a caddy with a bowler like that?

Fu Manchu

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
This thread has been quiet for some time, but I couldn't find anywhere else to post photos of vintage golfing clothing:

1938 golf jacket (UK):
New-golfjackets-1938.jpg

Chowderhouse

One of the Regulars
It's amazing to see how much golf clothing changed between the early 1920s and 1940. See the man at far left in the first photo below (taken in 1940)?

JamesOviattLAExaminer005_zps679e0d6d.jpg

Well, here's a photo of the same man (below, at left). This picture was taken in Southern California in 1923. Totally different golf apparel:

Golfearly1920s.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles