Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good beret photo

Byrne Sherwood

Familiar Face
http://www.mensvogue.com/health/slideshows/2006/12/18/adolfo_cambiaso?slide=2
I saw this photo recently and thought I would share it around. Good to see younger folks (aside from soldiers, that is) sporting the beret. No guarantees that a beret will make you look like one of these guys. These guys are polo players from Argentina. I have seen some older photos of Gauchos (their cowboys) wearing berets, so it may be a headgear associated with equestrian activity in that region.

TailendCharlie

One of the Regulars
Viva la revolution!

Byrne Sherwood said:
http://www.mensvogue.com/health/slideshows/2006/12/18/adolfo_cambiaso?slide=2
I saw this photo recently and thought I would share it around. Good to see younger folks (aside from soldiers, that is) sporting the beret. No guarantees that a beret will make you look like one of these guys. These guys are polo players from Argentina. I have seen some older photos of Gauchos (their cowboys) wearing berets, so it may be a headgear associated with equestrian activity in that region.
Don' t forget CHE GUEVARA (1928-67)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Those are BASQUE berets. More than a century ago, the style was introduced to Argentina and Chile by immigrants from the Basque region north of Spain. Basque berets are smaller than French ones. You can still see horsemen and shepherds wearing them in Argentine and Chilean Patagonia.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Baron Kurtz said:
Just wait 'till you go off to college!
bk
Next week. . . It's spring break, which means It's college visitation time.
University of Toronto, McGill, RISD and Roger Williams.

Byrne Sherwood

Familiar Face
M.C.-thanks for the background on Basque immigrants to S.America-it brought some clarity.

Coincidentally, the aformentioned photos of Gauchos in berets were taken by Rene Burri, who also shot some famous shots of Che Guevara.

Sefton-try Meyer the Hatter (www.meyerthehatter.com); they sell French made Basque berets for $40 and should be able to accommodate your melon.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Czech this out. . .

Marc Chevalier, is that Ian Paisley on your avatar today? The old son of a gun sure has mellowed over the years, hasn't he? Good to see what's happening in Ireland right now. Anyhow, speaking of berets. About 15 years ago my mother ordered about a dozen berets from a catalog as Christmas presents. I still have a nice faded, and sadly stretched out of shape red one. It was a Basque beret, and of course it was made in Czechoslovakia. Go figure. I'd love to get a new one, so Byrne Sherwood, thanx for the link.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Paisley

This is the wrong thread, but to me, just sitting at the table with Adams is amazing. He does seem more mellowed to me the few times I've seen him lately. He's a real throw back!

Byrne Sherwood

Familiar Face
Thanks, I'll do the Google search.
I have one that Meyer sells and it has a 1" stiff leather (leatherette?) sweatband, which I prefer to the Kangol type elastic band. But, of course Kangols don't give you fits by shrinking, either. If you do get the Vrai Basque, I recommend cutting the half liner out b/c I found that the thread fades visibly, leaving a ring around the crown if the beret. If that sounds confusing, you will understand if you get the beret.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo