Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

good drugstore brand pressed powder?

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I'm going to be going to Europe for 3 weeks and I'm bringing just a backpack, so I gotta travel light! I wanted to bring some powder with me but I use Coty Airspun Loose Powder, and there's no way I'm packing that.

I've tried a Covergirl compact of pressed powder and it was too yellow and cakey for me, even though it was the lightest shade. I have very pale skin, so finding something that works can be tricky sometimes.

Can anyone recommend a good, drugstore-brand pressed powder? I will be forever indebted to you!

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I know you're wanting pressed powder, but I have an idea about a loose powder that might do the trick for you.

I use L'Oreal loose powder in their translucent shade as I am very pale. The beauty of it is that it comes in a small plastic container with a lid that screws on. There's a sifter between the powder and the lid, and it comes with a powder puff as well. One container of the powder lasts me 3-4 months. I've traveled with one of these containers in my bag/backpack many times, and had no problem with it coming open. I've also dropped it on the bathroom floor while closed, and the plastic container hasn't even cracked!

Lily Powers

Practically Family
KittyT said:
You could turn some of your Coty loose powder into pressed powder in an empty compact.

Or you could buy one of those brushes that stores loose powder inside - http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P205302&categoryId=S4600&shouldPaginate=true

This is a good idea. You'll be utilizing a product that you already know works well for you, and saving money for fun purchases in Europe! And with pressed powders, you should really apply to a moisturized face, otherwise, they can look caked on. Loose powder you can just brush on anytime.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Lily Powers said:
This is a good idea. You'll be utilizing a product that you already know works well for you, and saving money for fun purchases in Europe!

Also, a brush like this is a practical solution for carrying around everywhere, even after you return home.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Physicians Formula make a mineral powder in Light Translucent that is not too bad, I am also hella pale and it's passable. I can use it in the summer but not the winter, I have to cut the loose version of it half and half with my pearl powder in winter (I am even lighter then).

PixieGirl

New in Town
I've always had good luck with New York Color pressed powder. It runs about two dollars U.S and works (for me at least) better than any Cover Girl or Maybelline ever has.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Thanks ladies! I'm going to Target today so I'll check out some of your suggestions. I'm probably not going to make my Coty into a pressed powder because I'm running out as it is and don't feel like buying a new one before I leave. But how would you even do this? I'm not familiar with the process.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
pigeon toe said:
Thanks ladies! I'm going to Target today so I'll check out some of your suggestions. I'm probably not going to make my Coty into a pressed powder because I'm running out as it is and don't feel like buying a new one before I leave. But how would you even do this? I'm not familiar with the process.

You mix it with rubbing alcohol to make a very thick paste, and then you press it into the compact. The alcohol will evaporate, leaving you with a pressed powder. However, I've found that pressed powder made this way is more likely to break.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Not drugstore, but Urban Decay makes a translucent pressed powder that comes in a pretty purple floral-y compact. I'm pretty hard on compact/pressed powdered ANYTHING, but I've taken this to clubs and thrown it in the bottom of my bag and dropped it without ANY damage to the mirror or powder.

The translucent powder is really a PALE PALE PALE that I normally use to set my Studio Fix, so it's not a weird yellow or one of those damn "color-correcting" ones.

ValenciaCalling

New in Town
I have very fair skin as well, and I have trouble finding powder that isn't too powdery. I used to use the Sephora brand powder, but it got to be too expensive. My mom introduced my to L'Oreal True Match powder and I love it.
I use "Porcelain" (W1), but you could also try "Classic Ivory" (N2). The classic ivory may be a shade too pink for your complexion. It is for me sometimes.
Good luck and have fun on your trip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112