Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Harrington or Barracuda Jacket..

Edward

Bartender
Sorry that I’m a bit late for the party here but being a Harrington fan for 60 odd years now I felt the need to share. Forget JTG, Merc and the likes. They’re not proper spec Harringtons. Baracuta may be nice but way overpriced. Also the company behind the brand name is not the original that introduced the Baracuta brand back in the 30’s. I have a vintage Baracuta that has nothing to do with the current company. The brand name then was owned by Van Heusen of shirts fame as is made clear of the label of my Baracuta. For my money I’d give this company my business I were in the market for a new one: https://www.realhoxton.com/product-category/outerwear/harrington/?amp

I've always been very happy with my Merc jackets - though of course the lack of a raglan sleeve is a dealbreaker for some. I will probably try a Real Hoxton next, though. The interesting thing especially there is they're the only affordable option I think I can recall seeing that has the open-vent on the back. It's a feature I've shied away from in the past, but am now curious to try. I very much like the look of their orangey-tan "pumpkin" model.

With all respect if it doesn’t have raglan sleeves and/or a knitted waist band it’s not a Harrington. I’m guessing that’s why the inverted commas on the name in your post.

The raglan sleeve element does attract strong views (which I understand - I don't think a Telecaster is a 'real' Telecaster if there are six rather than three saddles....). Notably, Jump The Gun do both, as there are those who prefer the slimmer fit that a set in sleeve can facilitate, apparently.

Lack of knits on the waist was another, associated style in Baracuta, wasn't it - a G4 rather than a G9, if memory serves?

It's interesting though how there has evolved a general notion (barring varying views on specific details) as to what a "Harrington" is, given that was never applied specifically to or as a single brand.

John_Z

Familiar Face
I've always been very happy with my Merc jackets - though of course the lack of a raglan sleeve is a dealbreaker for some. I will probably try a Real Hoxton next, though. The interesting thing especially there is they're the only affordable option I think I can recall seeing that has the open-vent on the back. It's a feature I've shied away from in the past, but am now curious to try. I very much like the look of their orangey-tan "pumpkin" model.

The raglan sleeve element does attract strong views (which I understand - I don't think a Telecaster is a 'real' Telecaster if there are six rather than three saddles....). Notably, Jump The Gun do both, as there are those who prefer the slimmer fit that a set in sleeve can facilitate, apparently.

Lack of knits on the waist was another, associated style in Baracuta, wasn't it - a G4 rather than a G9, if memory serves?

It's interesting though how there has evolved a general notion (barring varying views on specific details) as to what a "Harrington" is, given that was never applied specifically to or as a single brand.
Ryan O’Neil played Rodney Harrington in Peyton Place in the 60’s. He wore a G9. John Simmons opened a shop in London selling Ivy League clothes. He was a fan of Peyton Place so he sold G9’s as Harringtons. The origin of the G9 being known as a Harrington. So IMO any variation that does not conform to the G9 spec is not a Harrington, despite many sellers claims. An open back vent, amongst other details, is a must.

Edward

Bartender
Ryan O’Neil played Rodney Harrington in Peyton Place in the 60’s. He wore a G9. John Simmons opened a shop in London selling Ivy League clothes. He was a fan of Peyton Place so he sold G9’s as Harringtons. The origin of the G9 being known as a Harrington. So IMO any variation that does not conform to the G9 spec is not a Harrington, despite many sellers claims. An open back vent, amongst other details, is a must.

I remember the Simons story. Last time I was in the store in Covent Garden, years ago before it moved, they'd switched to selling the Grenfell version (which fifteen years ago was nearly £300..... eeps). It's interesting where different folks draw the line.... I'm indifferent on the open back vent and raglan sleeves, but for me if there's no knits, different pockets, different collar....

The open vent is the first thing I see typically discarded, I expect because it renders it more complex/ expensive to put together. Still, always a plus to have options available at a wide range of price points.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
The Baracuta company founded by John and Isaac Miller in Manchester in the 30s is still around and still making the same jackets.

Sometime in the 70s Baracuta licensed US production to Can Huesen. Quality on these jackets started out as equal to the UK product and declined rapidly. At some point I think Van Huesen moved production to Asia, which was the final straw leading to Baracuta pulling their licensing deal.

It is true that they are overpriced these days. Real Hoxton do a good version. Just as authentic as JtG. Merc is slightly less authentic to the original specs but is a good quality and has its own benefits.

Are your saying EU-made Baracutas are still the real thing, while US-made iterations are outsourced versions of lesser quality?

That could be one explanation for the “Baracuta is too expensive for what they offer” argument. I have a UK-made Baracuta G9 of ca, 2015 vintage which I absolutely love, and which I find to be of outstanding quality, so I never minded the price tag (whatever it was , back in the day; perhaps some EUR 290???)

Pandemic

One Too Many
Are your saying EU-made Baracutas are still the real thing, while US-made iterations are outsourced versions of lesser quality?

That could be one explanation for the “Baracuta is too expensive for what they offer” argument. I have a UK-made Baracuta G9 of ca, 2015 vintage which I absolutely love, and which I find to be of outstanding quality, so I never minded the price tag (whatever it was , back in the day; perhaps some EUR 290???)

My understanding is that all the cloth Baracuta jackets are now made in the UK.

Back in the late 1980s they withdrew the licensing deal with Van Huessen for the US market - partly because VH were outsourcing their production to Asia.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
My understanding is that all the cloth Baracuta jackets are now made in the UK.

Back in the late 1980s they withdrew the licensing deal with Van Huessen for the US market - partly because VH were outsourcing their production to Asia.

Thank you! Didn’t know that, but then it is some time ago. The ”Made in UK” Point was specifically raised when I bought the jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk