Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

good movies

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I watched the 'African Queen' but didn't think much of it....Last night I watched, 'Murder, My Sweet'..was really good...I read the book before watching the movie, I've noticed a lot of differences between them

Funny, man.

The Horn Blows at Midnight with Jack Benny
It's A Gift - WC Fields
International House - WC Fields and a great cast
The Big Broadcast of 1938 - Fields (Bob Hope first sings "Thanks for the Memories" here.)
Topper
Love Happy - Marx Bros.
lol
If they have any pick up the Log Cabin Series release of the Little Rascals / Our Gang comedies from Hal Roach, they'l make you laugh out loud.:p

Although not of the period, "Cat Balou" with Jane Fonda is funny and "Paint Your Wagon" is fun too.
:eusa_clap

decodoll

Practically Family
Lots of good recommendations here! I'll add Bachelor Mother, The Major and the Minor, Swingtime. hmmm....I seem to have a Ginger Rogers theme going here. :D Also, Roman Holiday and It Happened One Night (if you haven't seen this, it is a MUST see!)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Gregory Peck, now he was a hottie!
images

Love Roman Holiday..I've got that one here at home plus another one I don't ever tire of is, 'To Catch A Thief'
Watched 'Murder, My sweet last night....very good, I'm still kind of partial to Bogie though...and 'To have and have not'...I also really liked it, the beginning was a bit slow..but I love Lauren Bacall, she has a strange singing voice, it's almost what I would call bad but at the same time you kind of like it cause it's different

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Deadmen Don't Wear Plaid will air on Turner Classic Movies in a tad over 15 minutes from now, I just noticed. If you haven't seen it, it was shot it in black and white to match inserted clips from classic 30's & 40's films so you have Humphrey Bogart and Alan Ladd and Cary Grant and Barbara Stanwyck and Lana Turner (among others) turning up and "appearing" in scenes with Steve Martin & Carl Reiner & Rachel Ward. Considering it was done almost 25 years ago, and done without computer-generated things, they did a great job of matching costume styles, sets and the like.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
*sighs* if only I had cable....the mister won't allow it, and regular stations don't even come in :rage: can you tell it's a sore subject? I want my House M.D back!!! oh, well, always dvd's....sounds like you got yourself a good evening planned then Mike!

Hannigan Reilly

One of the Regulars
LOTS of good recommendations there. I definitely concur on "They Got Me Covered" the "Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer" and "Mr. Blandings Builds his Dreamhouse." These are absolute classics. Another Bob Hope, "My Favorite Brunette," (a semi-spoof of noir/detective films of the period) the superb "Double Indemnity" (does that one go without saying?), and what about, "The Caddy" with Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin.

*has not seen the Maltese Falcon, either*:eek:

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Jack Scorpion said:
Humphrey Bogart
My rule is: avoid Bogey if Lauren Bacall is around. The Big Sleep, The Dark Passage, To Have or Have Not...

WHOA, Son... Them's FIGHTIN' words! :rage: :rage: ;)
Those are some of the very the best of the Golden Era!

Jack Scorpion said:
Key Largo is a little better because Ed G Robinson is great in it.

He is great in that. And don't forget him in the enthralling essential-to-golden-era movie, Little Caesar (1931) - "You can't outsmart Rico, see!"

Swing High,
- Cousin Hepcat

Pilgrim

One Too Many
"*sighs* if only I had cable....the mister won't allow it..."

That is a phrase with null meaning in our home...on two levels.

1) I don't "allow" or "forbid" my wife anything (nor does she take those stances with me). That would be a good way to get in major trouble immediately. We make joint decisions.

2) IMO cable / satellite is part of today's social context. Not having access to it deprives one of news, current events, and entertainment that the rest of society around you has access to.

I may be over-reacting.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
ok, so where were you when I was single?! :D I'm a sad case, the only way I get my news is mainly from AOL or a newspaper. Otherwise, I'm very much out of the loop. The thought was, that if we got rid of t.v., there would be more family time...which I have seen little difference....just trying to be the submissive wife :rolleyes:

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
2) IMO cable / satellite is part of today's social context. Not having access to it deprives one of news, current events, and entertainment that the rest of society around you has access to.

I'm not deprived of news current events or entertainment, though, true, it's not exactly what those with cable have access to. So what? I prefer news with a little more depth than a television newscast can generally offer, but I can still watch news when I want to on the stations available without cable or satelite. I'm not quite living in a cave. My only regret is that I have to rely on friends to get me the latest episodes of The Sopranos. :eusa_doh:

I don't have access to the same cable bill either, which suits me fine.

I'm a sad case, the only way I get my news is mainly from AOL or a newspaper.

A newspaper!?!? :eek: Perish the thought.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
lol oh, stop picking on me...I should have clarified that a bit....the only time I've got a newspaper around is maybe once a month...otherwise it's whatever's on AOL..which I mostly ignore also since it all looks like crap...:eek:fftopic: In a lot of ways though, I don't miss the news cause I started noticing how desensitized I was getting plus...usually everything on there was really depressing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL