Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goodwear cowhide

pjstrass

One of the Regulars
does anyone know if John Goodman/Goodwear made A2s from cowhide in addition to horsehide and goatskin at least when he started making A2s ?

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
does anyone know if John Goodman/Goodwear made A2s from cowhide in addition to horsehide and goatskin at least when he started making A2s ?

Yes, I recall passing on an early example of a Perry A-2 from JC in this material on Ebay. There weren't many steerhide A-2s though in my recollection.

Edward

Bartender
Yes, I recall passing on an early example of a Perry A-2 from JC in this material on Ebay. There weren't many steerhide A-2s though in my recollection.

Do you mean there weren't many made by Goodwear, or there weren't many originals? I know the debate still rages in some quarters about whether steer was ever used. It seems plausible to me (given the nature and demands of wartime production), but I'm not aware of having seen any conclusive proof one way or the other.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Hello Edward
I was referring to a Good Wear Perry in steerhide (I checked with John to confirm that it was steer). II've owned multiple examples of original Perrys - the goat is very distinctive and the horsehide heavy - more so than I would associate with steerhide.

Edward

Bartender
Hello Edward
I was referring to a Good Wear Perry in steerhide (I checked with John to confirm that it was steer). II've owned multiple examples of original Perrys - the goat is very distinctive and the horsehide heavy - more so than I would associate with steerhide.

Ah! gotcha. Interesting that contract had a heavier horsehide by the sound of it than the norm. My experience with originals is extremely limited, but I know many of them were lighter. Always interesting to see how different contractors interpreted differently the same basic specification.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24