Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goodwear Jackets why the attraction

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
What’s GW’s most comfortable pattern block? I have the Arcadia and it’s very comfortable. Is the Ventura similar or better?

My custom Arcadia from the Classifieds, comfortable, fits good and has a good )Y( shape without using the cinches, came with a nice c&c zip. If I go custom I’d want a better lining though, wool or the double lining.
GW HB closed.jpeg

Last edited:

jchance

One of the Regulars
While I’m still considering Thedi, Himel, and FW as OTR options, my idea of a custom GW would be a 1930s Cossack pattern with Ventura details: (1) everything from the Cossack, except removing the right side pocket and moving the left side pocket up to become a top left chest pocket, and then (2) add the two handwarmer pockets from Ventura. (3) That in an unlined gusset goatskin would be perfect.

John already has the patterns and the skills…

Anyone knows if the Cossack pattern is comfortable to wear?

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What’s GW’s most comfortable pattern block? I have the Arcadia and it’s very comfortable. Is the Ventura similar or better?

My custom Arcadia from the Classifieds, comfortable, fits good and has a good )Y( shape without using the cinches, came with a nice c&c zip. If I go custom I’d want a better lining though, wool or the double lining.
View attachment 570249
I own both the Arcadia and the Ventura and they are very similar in terms of comfort and mobility. The Ventura has an action back while the Arcadia has the shoulder gussets.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I own both the Arcadia and the Ventura and they are very similar in terms of comfort and mobility. The Ventura has an action back while the Arcadia has the shoulder gussets.
That's good to know. Thanks. I missed out on a few Ventura's from the Classifieds. And I really dig the Arcadia's fit and finishes.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I've two GW''s one bought second hand from a Lounger who either out grew it or shrank out of it. With my weight loss it now fits me perfectly. It's an A2 the pattern of which I'd have to check. Other than a busted zipper it's served me well for about a decade. Mother GW is an ANJ-4 I had made for me, it's a Redskin and Horsehide creation. I waited almost 2 years for it and I wear it only when the temps are in the 20's and I'm tired of my D1. Love em both. I'd pass them on to my Son if I thought he'd appreciate them... Sigh.

1702576348923.jpeg

Whoops, I also forgot my "grail" jacket. It's a GW A1 made of Capeskin. It's gone through several hands before getting to me. I'll be buried in it.

1702576611025.jpeg

Worf

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Beautiful jacket. One of those to wear but also just look at mesmerized.
Thank you! Now that you mention it … I hang it in my office and do find myself staring at it from time to time. It’s the only leather jacket I’ve got, after a lot of trial and a lot of error lol

Edward

Bartender
Whoops, I also forgot my "grail" jacket. It's a GW A1 made of Capeskin. It's gone through several hands before getting to me. I'll be buried in it.

View attachment 570367

Worf

You look as if you're just DARING somebody to try and "take it outta my cold, dead hands!" here! :D May they not get any such chance for many, many years to come!

Jhon's jackets look great. I remember looking at buying one of his A2s in the early days, and then the pound dropped a fair bit in value (though still way higher than it is now!) and took it *just* out of my reach at the time. If only I'd known...

Worf

I'll Lock Up
You look as if you're just DARING somebody to try and "take it outta my cold, dead hands!" here! :D May they not get any such chance for many, many years to come!

Jhon's jackets look great. I remember looking at buying one of his A2s in the early days, and then the pound dropped a fair bit in value (though still way higher than it is now!) and took it *just* out of my reach at the time. If only I'd known...
Yeah, I love that A1, the sleeves are a bit short but it feels like butter and drapes like a second skin. Capeskin's a bit fragile so I only wear her in the late Spring and early Fall.

Worf

jchance

One of the Regulars
As for the Coassack style, I recommend having a look at Thedi leathers. You being based in the US, why don´t you have a look at the Thurston Bros. website. They offer pre-fabricated Thedis (basically OTR) and ca sort you out should you want to go custom in the end.

View attachment 570013

I’m so bummed that I missed Thedi twice when he was in Los Angeles at the Stronghold in April and December 2023. I hope he makes another California trip this/next year (someone please PM me if/when he does). I’d love to be able to see and feel some of the Thedi leather offerings in person, and try on the stock jackets before going custom or committed to buying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner