Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goodwear Werber A-2 fit pic advice

Kunja

Practically Family
Hi everyone, I just received this beautiful GoodWear A-2 from Regius. I've had a few A-2 now and always have trouble fitting one, I just seem to float inside of them. This 1933 Werber is the best A2 I've had so far, a gorgeous jacket in every respect, but I'm concerned its a bit large for me (although it is super comfortable as a result). Any commenst on the fit? Do I look like I'm wearing a potato sack? I need to decide to keep or sell before wearing it out in the world. Thanks for the honest advice!

goodwear-werber1933-a2-kunja.jpg

Gav

Practically Family
I’d say it’s too big but many might disagree. The shoulders are too wide and the zipped picture looks way too roomy.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
It's big yeah, but not potato sack big. I think you're doing better than 99% of how people dress nowadays. There was another A2 fit discussion thread recently describing the challenges of this style. It's a style of jacket that's never going to fit like other slim fitting styles. It would be like buying a sportscar and then complaining about lack of ability to haul lumber.

You could for sure go half size smaller, but I doubt you could go a full size without being uncomfortable some where.

wz1999

One of the Regulars
That looks really good on you. Maybe a bit large on the shoulder. I was considering buying it but not sure about the sizing.

Kunja

Practically Family
Thanks everyone, appreciate the feedback. Since its rainy here this weekend I'll wear it around the house a bit and decide to keep or sell. The A-2 has never worked for me, but a G-1 is usually fine. Go figure.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
In my rookie opinion, I think it looks great. I think most of these A2 type jackets look better on the wearer when they are a touch bigger, than smaller. YMMV.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Does your A2 have wider shoulder measurement from the front than the back?
Lots of A2 jacket actually have listed with narrow ish shoulder measurements, like 18” or less for size 42. I figured they’re always measured from the back. But a lot of them still ”seem” to be big from the front. So I ask the question, how wide is the shoulder, measured from front vs the back?

CBI

One Too Many
perhaps a hair large but it still looks great. we all know A-2 fits from the 40's are all over the map. it depends on the fit you are looking for. at least you will be able to sell it easily. I'll bet you already have some PM's saying if you sell, they will buy.

Kunja

Practically Family
Does your A2 have wider shoulder measurement from the front than the back?
No, same 20" in both front and back.
perhaps a hair large but it still looks great. we all know A-2 fits from the 40's are all over the map. it depends on the fit you are looking for. at least you will be able to sell it easily. I'll bet you already have some PM's saying if you sell, they will buy.
Thanks CBI, yes buying a Goodwear is usually a safe bet in all respects, including from a resale standpoint.

I have one of your jackets too, a Headwind A2 racer in buffalo leather with CR collar, size 42, and it fits trimmer and slimmer of course. In my opinion it is every bit as nice quality and manufacture as the Goodwear too, and with a very unique look to it.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
No, same 20" in both front and back.

Thanks CBI, yes buying a Goodwear is usually a safe bet in all respects, including from a resale standpoint.

I have one of your jackets too, a Headwind A2 racer in buffalo leather with CR collar, size 42, and it fits trimmer and slimmer of course. In my opinion it is every bit as nice quality and manufacture as the Goodwear too, and with a very unique look to it.
Yeah I think that’s the thing with A2. The front shoulder is as wide as the back.
I have a lot of jackets with 20” shoulders measured from the back, but the front always measures in the 18” range, max 19”, never 20” and none are A2’s. I think that’s why from the front fit photo it looks bigger in the shoulder but probably looks well fitted at the back on your A2.
4971E9E1-1AF8-4482-BCB2-B552F9D35677.jpeg

0AF8C784-835C-4399-871E-BED2420D7405.jpeg

A2 jackets are hard to fit. Good mobility and good looks seems to fight each other the most in A2 patterns.

MichaelRhB

One of the Regulars
Not a lot of mobility was required in a fighter cockpit back then, or a bomber cockpit for that matter. Even the enlisted positions of gunners did not require a lot of movement in the aircraft, nor for the radio operators, navigators, etc.

It is a close fitting jacket for the most part unless you are between sizes.

Liveinstyle33

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone, I just received this beautiful GoodWear A-2 from Regius. I've had a few A-2 now and always have trouble fitting one, I just seem to float inside of them. This 1933 Werber is the best A2 I've had so far, a gorgeous jacket in every respect, but I'm concerned its a bit large for me (although it is super comfortable as a result). Any commenst on the fit? Do I look like I'm wearing a potato sack? I need to decide to keep or sell before wearing it out in the world. Thanks for the honest advice!

View attachment 454696
This jacket definitely doesn't look snug but it does not look too big either from my perspective. That looks good to me. It is a very nice jacket and it fits you fine in my opinion, even with a bit of extra room, which is really not that much. I wouldn't say that is too big although this can be a subjective thing depending on the perspective of others. Most anyone seeing you wearing that on the street will most likely think "nice jacket" not "that jacket is too big for him." That is well within normal fitting range.

Liveinstyle33

One of the Regulars
Some people really like the tight leather jackets. As far as I know, tight leather jackets are ideal for riding 2 wheeled transportation. If you fall off, a tight fitting jacket will be less prone to riding up as you tumble, which expose the skin to the pavement, making for an extreme emergency, without needing to get into the details. (It will always be an emergency actually) Anyway, this is necessary if you wear leather as protection. These folks might tend to keep this tight fitting utility for all leather jackets, even ones that are worn without riding a motorcycle. I would say that is not necessary.

If this is not the only reason to wear tight jackets, let me know please, I would like to understand other reasons for doing this as well, if there are any.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ