Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goodwill buys

Talbot

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
If you're a fella, don't forget to always check the ladies' section for men's jackets, suits, overcoats, and more. Sometimes Goodwill workers (and customers too) mistakenly hang men's clothing in the ladies' section ... and vice-versa, though not so often.

First time I did this my wife looked at me very strangely until I explained myself!

Worth also checking out the glassware and miscellany. Last week I picked up a set of 6 cut crystal drinking tumblers (think single malt advertisement) for 0.99 each.

Very pleased, they make all the difference to a good snifter.

davestlouis

Practically Family
I had some success today, sportcoat, "Embassy Square by Richman Brothers", dark blueish gray plaid, with faint teal and pinkish stripes , sounds odd but it's attractive. It's a heavy wool, not a real smooth, thin wool like you'd see today. $8 at Goodwill in Manchester MO. Charcoal gray pleated and cuffed wool trousers, some made-up Italian-sounding brand name, Made in China, $3 at Goodwill in O'Fallon, MO.

There was a Chesterfield coat at Goodwill, just wasn't quite big enough for me. There was also a medium gray wool coat that had to have weighed 20 Lbs. The label had "Alpa" in the name, like ALPACODA or some other made-up looking name, which I took to be a reference to alpaca. There was a picture of an alpaca on the label too. The label said "warm not weighty" or somesuch, but it was the heaviest article of clothing I've ever tried on. It was a heavy-looking wool, with a belted back and double breasted. Didn't fit either, but it sure was a strange looking item. Gave me a stiff neck just thinking about wearing it.

davestlouis

Practically Family
I've seen a coat that looks similar in shape and cut to the gray alpaca, referred to in another thread as a polo coat, if that gives anyone a notion as to what I'm describing.

By the way, the new sportcoat is Made in USA of imported fabric, has ACTWU label in the pocket with the obligatory 48L label next to it.

Edward

Bartender
davestlouis said:
Found 2 pairs of identical wool gabardine trousers, khaki in color, "Pronto-Uomo" on the label, 100% wool, made in Canada, with a Canadian union label inside. One pair was $6 at the Scholar Shop, the other was $3 at a Goodwill store 20 miles away, both today. They are lined to the knee, pleated and cuffed, seem like nice items. I didn't need 2 pair, but it seemed like serendipity to find them in two places, the same day, so I bought the second pair.

Good plan. It's all very well to say 'I don't need it', but very easy to regret that later on. I know I've passed on things that months later I think ' that would have been fabulous for X costume or Y outfit', by which time it is, of course, long gone....

jamespowers said:
I can't imagine buying it to burn it either. ;) :p I hate nehru jackets. :rolleyes: [huh]

lol I still have one in black velvet, thought it only gets worn with full-on goth wear, when I feel the need for that. Only ever worn it with a collarless shirt, though (and I'd never think of one in a reglar suiting fabric), as I hate the look of those jacket with a regular collar and a tie. I'm unlikely to throw out the one I have but that said, I don't see me ever being in a hurry ot buy one again.

MrBern said:
Baron Kurtz was in NYC this weekend.
While waiting to check into his hotel, he had a few hours to kill at Goodwill & Salvation Army.

So in less than 3 hours of his arrival, he'd found a `40s Hart Schaffner Marx jacket for a few dollars.

3787083956_0b34ac7d8b.jpg

And it was great meeting him in person.

Some folks just have the knack of falling over great vintage stuff! Course, it works in Pete's favour - and I'm sure he wouldn't mind me sying it - that he's closer to an authentic vintage size than most of us. Sharp looking jacket...

cookie said:
They are worth GBP25-30 new online - more in the highstreet shop. Pink is a high quality UK Jermyn Street shirt.

Yes, very nice stuff. I've often considered buying a few myself - they're one of those places where, a couple of times a year in end of season sales, you can pick up three shirts for GBP75. I do believe nice shirts are worth paying for (albeit that my favourite shirt - don't recall the name of the company, but Saville Row based - I paid £25 for on eBay, not the marked Row shop price of £135!) - you really can feel the quality. What has always made me stop short of Oink, like many others before now, is that they only seemed in my experience to do a very wide spread collar with french cuffs. Very difficult to find something more arrowpoint, even in a shorter 50s style, with French cuffs. As a result, most of my workshirts at present are from Sainsburys, pending such times as I can find all the options I want in something higher-level!

davestlouis said:
I had some success today, sportcoat, "Embassy Square by Richman Brothers", dark blueish gray plaid, with faint teal and pinkish stripes , sounds odd but it's attractive. It's a heavy wool, not a real smooth, thin wool like you'd see today. $8 at Goodwill in Manchester MO. Charcoal gray pleated and cuffed wool trousers, some made-up Italian-sounding brand name, Made in China, $3 at Goodwill in O'Fallon, MO.

I like Richman Brothers offerings that I have come across in my vintage searches so I am sure what you have is decent to say the least. For the price, you did great. Doesn't exactly sound like a new and it likely isn't since they were closed in the early 1990s. Perhaps you have a nice vintage example there. :eusa_clap

cptjeff

Practically Family
There are actually 2 of those sitting in the little thrift store here. In a town of around 10K. From the same person it looks like, $3 each. Way too big for me though, I would guess at a size 44.

That's okay though, I have one from bloomingdales that I got from a goodwill at home. Not quite as nice, but still a good jacket.

davestlouis

Practically Family
Minor success today...charcoal gray dress trousers at Goodwill in Chesterfield MO. "Lauren" by Ralph Lauren, good condition, "120s and cashmere" per the label, $3. There was also a HSM suit jacket, navy blue, no pants. It could pass for a navy blazer, except for the buttons...what is different about a modern navy blazer vs. a suit coat?

cptjeff

Practically Family
davestlouis said:
Minor success today...charcoal gray dress trousers at Goodwill in Chesterfield MO. "Lauren" by Ralph Lauren, good condition, "120s and cashmere" per the label, $3. There was also a HSM suit jacket, navy blue, no pants. It could pass for a navy blazer, except for the buttons...what is different about a modern navy blazer vs. a suit coat?
The buttons. The cloth and it's texture can vary as well, but there's no rule on what fabrics can be used for either. If you want it as a navy blazer, grab it up and put on contrasting buttons.

davestlouis

Practically Family
According to an old thread on AAAC, a proper "blazer" has a shorter body than a suit coat, patch pockets and top-stitching on the lapels. They differentiate between a blazer and navy sport coat. In modern production, there really is no difference, with most manufacturers...just a navy suit coat with brass buttons. I keep learning more and more every day.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
davestlouis said:
...In modern production, there really is no difference, with most manufacturers...just a navy suit coat with brass buttons. I keep learning more and more every day.

Right on. It irks me whenever I see a modern 'sports coat' that is exactly like a suit jacket (maybe brass buttons, but not always).

In the olden days you knew when a jacket was a sports coat as opposed to a suit jacket. Belted backs, patch pockets, really crazy fabric patterns and other features set sports coats apart from regular suit jackets. Anyways, sports coats were meant for sporting and needed those features. Rarely see that nowadays.

davestlouis

Practically Family
Shoot, I think I'll buy the silly jacket tomorrow, for $8, why not? I suspect I'll spend a lot more on the buttons than the jacket itself.

WH1

Practically Family
There was a Chesterfield coat at Goodwill, just wasn't quite big enough for me. There was also a medium gray wool coat that had to have weighed 20 Lbs. The label had "Alpa" in the name, like ALPACODA or some other made-up looking name, which I took to be a reference to alpaca. There was a picture of an alpaca on the label too. The label said "warm not weighty" or somesuch, but it was the heaviest article of clothing I've ever tried on. It was a heavy-looking wool, with a belted back and double breasted. Didn't fit either, but it sure was a strange looking item. Gave me a stiff neck just thinking about wearing it.[/QUOTE]

Was it Alpagora? If so that might have been a true vintage 1930-40's coat.
From the 1936 Apparel Arts Anniversary issue.

PICT1991.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
WH1 said:
davestlouis said:
There was a Chesterfield coat at Goodwill, just wasn't quite big enough for me. There was also a medium gray wool coat that had to have weighed 20 Lbs. The label had "Alpa" in the name, like ALPACODA or some other made-up looking name, which I took to be a reference to alpaca. There was a picture of an alpaca on the label too. The label said "warm not weighty" or somesuch, but it was the heaviest article of clothing I've ever tried on. It was a heavy-looking wool, with a belted back and double breasted. Didn't fit either, but it sure was a strange looking item. Gave me a stiff neck just thinking about wearing it.

Was it Alpagora? If so that might have been a true vintage 1930-40's coat.
From the 1936 Apparel Arts Anniversary issue.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t36/wh1fedora/AA 4/PICT1991.jpg

Passing things off as Alpaca was fairly common back in the day. I have an overcoat (similar to the description given above) that is made of Persian Lamb fur but has this misleading label:
Grayovercoat005.jpg

So it could have been fairly old. You might go back and check it out, look for a union tag in an inside pocket. Someone on the Lounge is bound to be interested in it.

davestlouis

Practically Family
Alpagora, that's exactly what it was. I'll take another look if I get a minute. It was at a different Goodwill location than the navy jacket.

davestlouis

Practically Family
Richman Bros history...

The RICHMAN BROTHERS CO. manufactured and sold men's suits, furnishings, and hats, supplying a national network of stores from its 23-acre tailoring plant and offices at 1600 E. 55th St. The firm began in 1879 when Henry Richman moved his manufacturing and wholesale clothing business to Cleveland from Portsmouth, OH. In 1907 the company took its present form when the founder's sons, Nathan, Charles, and Henry, opened retail outlets selling factory-produced men's clothing directly to customers, the first clothier to do so. All suits were priced at $10 until 1939 when men's furnishings and hats were added to the line.

Richman was a pioneer in innovative employee relations. Executives greeted employees by name, their birthdays were remembered, and there were no time clocks. It was the first industrial organization in the country to grant 2-week (later 3-week) paid vacations to all employees, and its company-paid benefits program and no-interest loans set an industry precedent. Under the direction of Geo. Richman, a cousin of the 3 Richman brothers, the firm became the largest clothing chain in the nation during the 1950s, operating 119 retail outlets. Major expansion programs included the acquisition of Stein stores in 1959, a chain of 91 menswear stores in the South; the formation of the General Men's Wear Corp. in 1962 to operate leased menswear departments in discount-store chains; and a mid-1960s experiment, Adam's Row stores, in which the trendier fashions were marketed. In 1969 the company was sold to F.W. Woolworth Co. of New York. By the early 1990s the firm had become unprofitable and at the end of 1992 Woolworth closed its Richman unit, including 9 stores in Cleveland and the Distribution Center located at the original plant on E. 55th St.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot