Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goodwill Hunting

dr greg

One Too Many
essay on the issue

I reckon the op-shop as we knew it is dead, I don’t know about Sydney, but in Nth NSW and Qld they no longer seem to see themselves as providing cheap clothes and goods for the poor.

I should declare an interest here, I am a “market trader’, (in the medieval sense) and being on the post-industrial scrap heap without super, sell clothes books etc at weekend markets rather than suffer the indignities of the dole office.

It is now becoming impossible to find those knick-knacks for 2 bux you can flog for 5, or the good jacket for 10 you can get 25 for. Brisbane is ridiculous, your corner op-shop there has anything “retro” going for 15-20 bux, and anything else older than the cheap Chinese invasion of the 90’s goes straight to the antique shops or is priced higher than King St Newtown.

I live in Murwillumbah, where I can assure you I haven’t seen a BMW for years, yet the local Sally’s thinks nothing of asking 120 bux for a beat-up suit that still has the original K-mart price tag inside saying $89.95, and prices are generally 5 times higher than they were 3 years ago.

And don’t get me going on hats…once upon a time a “bookie’s hat” could be picked up for 5 bux, but since rap stars started sporting them, it’s not uncommon to see them for 45 bux …at an op-shop!

Now I know this appears to be sour grapes at what is just basic market forces determining things, and the argument is no doubt valid that the higher prices mean more funds to take up the charity shortfall due to those same ideas holding sway at government level, but the system as it worked before benefited all. Now it’s being sharply targeted at the wealthy at the expense of those who don’t quite need food parcels, and the working poor.

I blame a viral internet malady I call ebayitis: every 2nd little old lady and church worthy now seems to think they’re an antiques dealer.

There is empirical evidence for my theory: I drive out into the country looking for odds and sods, camping out under the stars to keep costs down, and the bargains can be had out along the Condamine, where the tentacles of the Access Age haven’t yet spread, (those government policies again) and the old values hold sway. A man can make about a third of a living with the booty gleaned from the dusty plains. But that won’t last as broadband creeps across the land, and a noble tradition of bargain recycling will fade away, as will the quality of the weekend market. Think of the great cities of the world and their flea-markets, it’s on the way out here, I can tell you, and will go the way of the Rabbit-oh and the milkman.

Progress eh? What’s it really worth?

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh, I don't know. This represents new opportunities for some people. In a few years interest in the "golden age" may peter out (it seems to be enjoying a small renaissance now, at least in hats) and then it will be easier for diehards to find the stuff again.

Marc Chevalier said:
Time and time again, the best place for me was the "Children's Hospital Thrift Shop" in Los Feliz. Around since the '50s, that store was the donation place of choice for Hancock Park residents. In other words, rich and old.

Similar situation up here in the Caverns. Nice little charity thrift shop near a well-to-do neighborhood. Not much truly vintage stuff there, but no shortage of high-quality, "gently used" (they won't sell raggedy stuff) merchandise at very good prices.

Riley Dee

One of the Regulars
WWII boots?

I found these boots at a local thrift store here in town.

wwiiboots6.jpg

wwiiboots4.jpg

wwiiboots3.jpg

wwiiboots2.jpg

wwiiboots1.jpg

I think they are the original version of the What Price Glory? M1943 2 buckle boot.

What Price Glory?
http://www.whatpriceglory.com/pic/buckleboot.jpg

They were $37.00 and need new laces but were too neat to pass up.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Doran said:
Is Vinnies St Vincent de Paul?

No Vincent de Paul is my personal tailor who performs saintly works on my wardrobe....:p

In Ausssie we call 'em "the Salvos" as in "Thank God for the Salvos" which is supposed to be what the wounded soldiers said on the frontline...and it is their advertising slogan now on telly.

dr greg

One Too Many
and biscuits

cookie said:
No Vincent de Paul is my personal tailor who performs saintly works on my wardrobe....:p

In Ausssie we call 'em "the Salvos" as in "Thank God for the Salvos" which is supposed to be what the wounded soldiers said on the frontline...and it is their advertising slogan now on telly.
I think the actual story was that the Salvo's had kitchens set up behind the lines and served tea and biscuits to all troops returning from the frontline, but they weren't actually involved with the wounded as such beyond that or in any medical sense. (as I understand it).
http://ajrp.awm.gov.au/ajrp/remember.nsf/pages/NT000024EE

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Riley Dee said:
I found these boots at a local thrift store here in town.

I think they are the original version of the What Price Glory? M1943 2 buckle boot.

What Price Glory?
http://www.whatpriceglory.com/pic/buckleboot.jpg

They were $37.00 and need new laces but were too neat to pass up.

You're correct, they're originals. Not the best condition but a good find nonetheless. What size are they?
I've always looked for boots like these in thrift shops but never had any luck.

Riley Dee

One of the Regulars
thunderw21 said:
You're correct, they're originals. Not the best condition but a good find nonetheless. What size are they?
I've always looked for boots like these in thrift shops but never had any luck.

The best I could make of the markings inside of the boot is that they are a 9C. Yeah, they are definitely in rough condition. Tried them on again after work and one of the buckle straps came off!!! :rage: They are still pretty cool knocking around town boots.

Dr Doran

Those boots are (as my brother says) phatty-bom-batty. I'd rub Neatsfoot Oil in them (we used to recondition our steeltoe Dr Martens with that stuff) and let the leather expand.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I'm full of good will,...

Of all the various thrift stores that are or were around, I was never very lucky at a Goodwill store. Until tonight that is, when I scored this Olympus OM2 with various goodies attached on ebay. The macro lens alone usually goes for the price I payed for this whole deal. :D
GoodwillOM2.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Today's Effort was one of those Good Days

1. A Paul Smith suit size 40 for my son (he does not know yet!).

2 2 x Hackett London check shirts (look mint) One my size.

3. I x Marks and Sparks window pane shirt my size.

4. 1 x Zegna tie. 1 x Boss 2 x UK Lewins 4 x Italian silks

5. 1 x Duffer UK shirt.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Posted in the Display Case but why not again?
I usually don't find much at Goodwill but I've had some luck lately.

Size 12 Allen Edmonds for $4 at Goodwill. After a good shine:

DSCF1179.jpg

Dr Doran

thunderw21 said:
Posted in the Display Case but why not again?
I usually don't find much at Goodwill but I've had some luck lately.

DSCF1179.jpg

You are killing me.
I wear a 13, though, so those wouldn't fit.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
just ranting

My favorite Goodwill is undergoing construction...and decided to take everything off hangers and throw everything into piles without rhyme or reason. :rage: Tops, bottoms, beddings, toys....:rage: I was a very loud obnoxious person today. My fav Goodwill also happens to be a Goodwill outlet store so clothing is $1 each and everything else is 75% off so everything is usually kinda disorganized, but this was insane and beyond disorganized. It was like they just didn't care about what they were doing or how smoothly their store ran. It was insanity, insanity I tell ya, insanity!!!
Ok, now back to your regulary scheduled thread.

carter

I'll Lock Up

Do those AE's a favor and put some shoe trees in them. Don't wear them every day so they can dry out and breathe and keep trees in them. They'll last a lifetime with proper care.
HEY -- THEY ARE SPECTATORS, sensu stricto.

LOL! You are cracking me up! Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoEllis