Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Google Earth

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
A bit outside The Lounge, though still awsome. Check it out, then check out everything else.

www.googlearth.com

The dark house in the center.
Home-vi.jpg

Home2-vi.jpg

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, Google maps is good, and

NASA World Wind is also supposed to be a good one, but it is a huge download with many patches that must be added to make it work right.:eusa_doh:

Shows lots of promise though when they work out all the bugs and actually get it right. It has a 45 degree angle view feature that looks way - cool.

Serina

New in Town
Impressive! I didn't realise you could zoom in that close on Google Earth.
My computer is a bit too much of a dinosaur to handle that programe I think, so I'll have to wait a while. Does it take live sat photos?

matei

One Too Many
Google Earth cool, but not everywhere has the resolution like you see in Matt's pics.

For example, you can't zoom in to our house in Balbriggan, Ireland - but you can see high detail in London. Even Dublin is a bit blurry.

Granny's house in Focsani, Romania is not visible whatsoever. However our friend's address in Moscow is clear as day.

If I zoom in to our old address in Noo Yawk I can even see my old MGB parked out front. That tells me that this pic is from the mid 90s.

shamus

Suspended
I've tried it in the past too. It is a cool thing, but makes you wonder, since the photos are about 10 years old... Just how good is the "real" version.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, same here.

Zach R. said:
I'm sure most of them aren't 10 years old?

I know for a fact that the ones from my neighborhood are current.

It seems that it's an ever-changing mosaic of images. Sometimes an area you want to view will be there, sometimes not. I could not find the pyramids at Giza in Egypt when I looked last! [huh] Maybe they can be found now.

Steve

Practically Family
I've had Google Earth for a while now, and I know for a fact that they don't update the images too often because according to them, there's been a cloud over my house for about eight months. :rolleyes:

geo

Some images are out of date for security reasons, since you can clearly see military installations, powerplants, etc.

shamus

Suspended
I wouldn't be surprised if everytime you try to look at something "sensitive" it sends your info to the powers that be.

Steve

Practically Family
Salv said:
The photo of my house shows my daughters large paddling pool in the back garden, but that hasn't been there for at least 5 years.
I've looked at the White House and National Archives in close detail and 3D view and nothing ever happened. Except for those big guys in sunglasses that always seem to be behind me...

shamus

Suspended
yeah dusty, you're right.

You know I also have delusions about my public library information being sent to the powers that be.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Try maps.google.com

It's pretty much the same thing, but you can pop back and forth between the satellite photo, a map or a hybrid version of the two. The only thing I've noticed is the addresses I've tried usually get pinpointed about 1 house off - my house, my childhood home, my partner's dad's house. And always a different direction off. But I know the current shot they've got of my house was taken on a Friday between about 10-11 am on odd week - the trashbags are at the curb (I carry them out 10ish, they're picked up 10:45-11) and there's no recycle bin. But it's fun to send a picture of a computer-novice friend's house to them and say you're keeping an eye on them..."Hey Fred, it looks like that lawn needs mowing!" or a shot of our place saying "So what do you think of my new fedora?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw