Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got blocked by Simmons Bilt Instagram because my comment

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I'm off to Houston and Dallas right after Labor Day...Any insights Fanch? I hear that I should be looking for Vietnamese style Crawfish in Houston.
I dunno Handymike. I make every effort to avoid Houston, which has it all: Too many people, too much traffic that is even worse than LA, high crime, and high humidity. And Dallas is not much better, if any. :eek: From Union Station in Dallas, you can take the TRE train to downtown Fort Worth and then pick up a city bus at the Fort Worth Intermodal Station to the Fort Worth Historic Stockyard. Walk around the eclectic area. Visit ML Leddy's store. Eat at Joe T Garcias Mexican Restaurant or the Cattlemen's Steak House. Fort Worth is truly a Texas city, but Dallas is basically a lesser version of NYC located in the heart of N Texas. :D

Will do, Butte ;)
Fanch, I'm not sure I'm gonna have time for that...It's a work trip, and I need to fit adventure in between the job and client dinners.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Thanks!
where's the best BBQ? (best tasting, not fanciest)

Sonny Bryan's with several locations in the DFW metroplex, including downtown Dallas at the West End. The original Sonny's was just down the street from Parkland Hospital where I was an ENT surgery resident in the early 1970's, and it was the responsibility of the junior resident to get take out BBQ for himself and the intermediate resident also on call at Parkland.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Memphis! Cannot recall the name of the place, but it's within easy walking distance of the famous hotel ducks.

- Ian
The name of the BBQ place in Memphis is the Rendezvous that is in the basement of a building in an alley across the street from the Peabody Hotel, and was a frequent haunt of mine while I was in medical school there. IMHO the best BBQ places in the world are the Rendezvous in Memphis and Sonny Bryan's in Dallas. ;)

BTW this thread now approaching 15,000 views and 550 replies!

Last edited:
I've been to The County Line outside of Lubbock (and Austin). It was good but a bit touristy. Is Sonny's the kind where you wait in line and they pile brisket on your pieces of white bread? Then you go eat at the big picnic tables?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I've been to The County Line outside of Lubbock (and Austin). It was good but a bit touristy. Is Sonny's the kind where you wait in line and they pile brisket on your pieces of white bread? Then you go eat at the big picnic tables?
It is, particularly at the original Sonny's on Inwood Road where there are chairs on the inside like the ones used during grammar school and large picnic tables outside. When I was in medical school in Memphis, the Rendezvous was just a hole in the wall place then but has become a huge tourist attraction over the years, much like the Peabody Hotel ducks.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
The name of the BBQ place in Memphis is the Rendezvous that is in the basement of building in an alley across the street from the Peabody Hotel, and was a frequent haunt of mine while I was in medical school there. IMHO the best BBQ places in the world are the Rendezvous in Memphis and Sonny Bryan's in Dallas. ;)

BTW this thread now approaching 15,000 views and 550 replies!

That's the place! I almost mentioned that it was in the basement, but decided to leave that out.

My wife, who is from NYC, went in there with my family and myself saying that she really isn't a BBQ person. However, when they brought her ribs and put rolls on the table, she did not resurface for, at least, a half an hour.

- Ian

Stand By

One Too Many
Texas rocks. It's one of my favourite states, and I've been fortunate to visit a great many.
The food is superb. I went on a food tour of various restaurants and had the best southern fried chicken ever! Then it was to another place and it was the best pulled pork BBQ I've ever had! Then superb tacos. It ended with the biggest, best DIY S'mores that I had no idea could be a dessert unto themselves! Gorged. I'm no glutton but it was just a shame to be be full so I couldn't enjoy tasting more. And the people are so nice. Southern Hospitality isn't just a term of days gone by. It's alive and well.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
That's the place! I almost mentioned that it was in the basement, but decided to leave that out.

My wife, who is from NYC, went in there with my family and myself saying that she really isn't a BBQ person. However, when they brought her ribs and put rolls on the table, she did not resurface for, at least, a half an hour.

- Ian

One of the main differences between ribs at the Rendezvous in Memphis and Sonny Bryan's in Dallas is that the ribs at the Rendezvous are "dry" whereas the ribs at Sonny's are "wet" at least before adding BBQ sauce that is unique to each place. I will say that if I were pressed to make a choice between the two, I prefer dry ribs served at the Rendezvous over Sonny's, although both are great!

Does anyone recall the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes" and the statement "the secret's in the sauce" when a really nasty, bad guy was the recipe?

Last edited:
One of the main differences between ribs at the Rendezvous in Memphis and Sonny Bryan's in Dallas is that the ribs at the Rendezvous are "dry" whereas the ribs at Sonny's are "wet" at least before adding BBQ sauce that is unique to each place. I will say that if I were pressed to make a choice between the two, I prefer dry ribs served at the Rendezvous over Sonny's, although both are great!

Does anyone recall the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes" and the statement "the secret's in the sauce" when a really nasty, bad guy was the recipe?
Man I tried to do my own dry rub on some ribs...absolute disaster and a real shame. Tasted like eating the contents of a vacuum bag. And I can grill to the nuts. Ribs are a different animal though. You need to finesse the Hell out of them. I love dry ribs but can't get it right to save my life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred