Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Graffiti on a church.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting that you don't see Christians, Jews, other theists, or even atheists spraying graffiti on places were Satanists "worship." Although I don't agree with the concept of "hate crimes," this would fall under the accepted definition. Has it been defined as such, John?

The deputy listed it as satanic symblos on a church so it does carry a little more weight than simple graffetti.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The best response to most any undesirable behavior is setting a better example. Graffiti of the sort John complains of here is almost certainly the work of a fundamentally unhappy person. If he or she or they are caught doing such a thing, well, there ought to be legal consequences. But if it's a kid (which seems likely) who is released to the custody of his (or her) drunken, abusive father, we can bet that the kid will be back at it soon enough.

Graffiti and stuff like by kids that tends to occur in places where kids have nothing better to do- be that the inner city (where there is no work and no opportunities) or the suburbs (where kids don't have to work and don't have boundaries set), or rural towns and the country (where there is no work unless you live on a farm or your parents own a business). I don't think the economy helps either- a lot of jobs that "kids" used to take are being filled by adults, which leads them to have too much time on their hands.

In many cases, you're right that the problem is the parents don't care. They either don't care because they are absent (for one reason or another) or they think their child can do no wrong. Either way, they are absent from being real parents. It doesn't matter if it's because they skipped town when the baby was little, they spend all day looking at the bottom of the bottle, or they simply don't have time to spend with the kids because of their high powered job. Either way, the kid ends up with one (or even two) less parents.

We have had our share of break ins, theft and vandalism in the past 6 years. They have stolen emergency funds that were kept on the premesis for repairs, they stole a huge refrigerator, a microwave and the copper from a chill type water fountain. they pored paint on the Narthex floor. Broken about a dozen windows and broke the garden hose spigots. They have smashed inside door looks in both buildings.

The graffiti bothers me in this, they went out of their way to do it and chances are it is a youth or young adult that is considering this as an homage or offering to the dark side in exchange of something they want, power, money whatever. However they do not understand that their actions don't give them what they want really (love, acceptance) but leads to more bad behavior and choosing a side that won't be good for them they way they think it should.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I don't think the economy helps either- a lot of jobs that "kids" used to take are being filled by adults, which leads them to have too much time on their hands.

Or it's parents who don't *allow* their kids to work, because an after-school job will take away from all the hoop-jumping they're expected to do in order to get into The Right College. I've noticed in just the past few years I get fewer and fewer teenage applicants for jobs, and when I ask the kids I have now to talk to their friends about applying, one of the common answers I get is "so-and-so would be great here, but her parents won't let her get a job." Great preparation for real life.

As far as the satanistic aspects of grafitti goes, I'm also of the camp that thinks it's just kids trying to come up with "shocking" imagery. If they weren't chalking up upside-down crosses and 666's it'd be swastikas, but that wouldn't make them actual Nazis. It'd just make them idiots who need to be sentenced to summer school at hard labor.

I'm inclined to agree with John in finding this whole thing quite worrisome. Because this seems to be the kind of mindset that draws people such as Adam Lanza who announced, "I am the Devil" just before opening fire on the children at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

Last edited:
Well, you're talking about well-adjusted folks. There're plenty of people who'll use symbols just to get under the skin of other people, without necessarily adhering to the thought of the group whose symbols they're using. Not everyone who would paint a swastika is a neo-Nazi, they may just be out to annoy people.

One does not use the symbols of a group as a hurtful thing without being attached to that group whether a little of a lot. The fact that they acted made it clear what side they are on.

If you're talking about male teen drivers, they do in fact have maladjusted or underdeveloped decision making centres in their brains that make them prone to doing dumb shit in cars (taking risks in general in fact). This is why their insurance premiums are higher.

To say otherwise would be like saying teen drivers that speed aren't speeders or speeding because they don't really understand the concept of speeding and what the results might be.

My guess is that the graffitist is just trying to anger you folks and/or hurt your feelings. If I were in your position, John, I'd be angered and hurt by it, too, but I would hope I would recognize that by so doing I'm playing the little twerp's game.

None of us know this person or persons (seems a safe supposition), so it's all speculation. But still, there are likely and less-likely scenarios. Does the typical swastika or 666 graffiti painter know much of anything about Nazism or Satanism? I mean, besides that most people find it morally repugnant? Which makes it just the symbol to use if that graffitist really wishes to anger people and/or hurt their feelings?

Too bad. Sounds like kids doing dumb-shit, like kids tend to. The same kids that kick over headstones in graveyards etc. I don't know what possesses people, but lack of good parenting is most likely in the mix …

It's got to do with unsupervised time, being unhappy, the need for a feeling of well "power" having a sense of control over ones life.. People feel that things aren't going well and they're getting shortchanged in general the frustrations of teens and some young adults which leads to acting out.

Teens get frustrated and smash things or ruin stuff usually when no one is looking. I think it has to do with the concept of hunter teams going on a raiding party, a channel for the energy they have and nothing to do.

One of the great things i heard was when a kid said I'm bored an adult said if you are bored it means you are boring which is something you need to change about yourself. Hopefully in a good way.

If you're talking about male teen drivers, they do in fact have maladjusted or underdeveloped decision making centres in their brains that make them prone to doing dumb shit in cars (taking risks in general in fact). This is why their insurance premiums are higher.

Just because they tend to be that way is not an excuse, to explain it away is like saying juvenile delinquents are JD's because they are disturbed. You are what you do. Whether it is carefully deliberated weighed in as a personal social subscription or you simply do something that is clearly wrong, no sad soap story changes this type pf act.

... One of the great things i heard was when a kid said I'm bored an adult said if you are bored it means you are boring which is something you need to change about yourself. Hopefully in a good way.

Sounds to me that what the kid was saying, whether he realized it or not, is that what he really wants is some attention.

It's understandable how an adult might grow weary of a youngster who seemingly requires constant attention, especially if that kid is getting a bit old for that sort of thing. But it doesn't follow that a bored person is a boring person, no matter how clever one might find that expression.

Last edited:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Or it's parents who don't *allow* their kids to work, because an after-school job will take away from all the hoop-jumping they're expected to do in order to get into The Right College. I've noticed in just the past few years I get fewer and fewer teenage applicants for jobs, and when I ask the kids I have now to talk to their friends about applying, one of the common answers I get is "so-and-so would be great here, but her parents won't let her get a job." Great preparation for real life.

That's horrible. Last time I checked, working sets you up to get into college. And to get a job in college. Which sets you up to get a job out of college. But then I knew several people in college who were not allowed to work by their parents, and they had plenty of trouble getting jobs after college.

If you can show you can handle 10-20 hours of work a week and keep good grades, employers have no concerns if you'll be able to balance a 40+ hour a week job with your life.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I agree with it being kids that have lackadaisical parenting. Perhaps someone raised by the author of this "article?"
http://www.babble.com/kid/child-development/damaging-kids-self-esteem/I can't help but share this, it sums up what is wrong with many parents of today.

So disturbing. The only thing I agree with is not force feeding your kid and I've seen some parents do that (there is always one more spoonful and lots of guilt if the child cannot finish a large meal). My parents had a rule that I had to eat a spoonful of everything on the plate, but if I was full, I didn't have to keep eating. Of course, if I got hungry later I was re-offered my plate before I got anything else during the day (until the next meal).

ThemThereEyes

One of the Regulars
So disturbing. The only thing I agree with is not force feeding your kid and I've seen some parents do that (there is always one more spoonful and lots of guilt if the child cannot finish a large meal). My parents had a rule that I had to eat a spoonful of everything on the plate, but if I was full, I didn't have to keep eating. Of course, if I got hungry later I was re-offered my plate before I got anything else during the day (until the next meal).
I agree! I remember it as a kid, and it still makes me tense if I think too closely on it, and it was literally food spooned so rapidly into my mouth I had to do the chipmunk thing. I do the re-offer plate thing for my boys too.
I honestly thought, perhaps that article is either a) a joke or b) some kind of social experiment. However, it seems as real as the parents we see out there doing these rude things as well as the comments in support of letting kids be total self absorbed brats. Tickling as torture? Wow, try telling that to victims of real abuse.

Last edited:

Yes, I remember the whole guilt trip thing. To this day I've never figured out the connection between eating all my veggies and fighting world hunger. :p

Mom: You didn't finish your vegetables, Victor. Think of the starving kids in Africa
Me: Well, they're perfectly welcome to it! This swill would choke a buzzard!

Yes, admittedly, I was a bit of a difficult child.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21