Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grail find: 1950s Buco J-24L

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I remember that one. I bid on it and was going to bid high. However, It was not my size. Now you need the proper belt and custom-made mouton. In my view the j24 has a very cool elaborate collar with a very usual strap.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Amazing jacket and the story how you found out about it and how it got to you doorstep and to how it got treatment just shows how good the community can be. Congratulations on your grail jacket, the jacket waited 70+ years to find its perfect fitting owner.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
tNguIrZ.jpg

@Carlos840 doesn't this remind you of something? I think Diamond Dave was actually pretty close to original with that beltloop on your JH-1 :p

eazLjng.jpg

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Thanks everyone for the awesome comments, congratulations and well-wishes! Without this forum, this dream would not have become a reality. That said, without this forum this jacket collecting hobby would not have spiraled out of control as it has. Oh, well. No matter, as I am an extremely happy camper for it! I promise you all I shall wear it in good health. Great thing about having a large jacket collection is that this Buco will probably still outlive me.

@Carlos840 where are you finding the busted seams? The only ones I am aware of are in the right sleeve at the elbow, the sleeve actually has a small opening there because of it. So the next conquest is to find a good leather craftsman/tailor in the area that I actually trust with my jacket.

@tmitchell59 the jacket indeed originates from Illinois! Galesburg, more specifically.

@photo2u In that case I am very happy you decided not to push through on your high bids! I'm personally not a big fan of mouton collars. The proper, thick and stiff leather belt would be awesome though. Any suggestions where I could land one of those? I'm a big fan of the belt Diamond Dave offered with his J-21 repro, as it is just the type of belt I'm looking for, and it also had additional straps on the belt that attached to the belt loops on the jacket, so the belt would be held in place.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
@Carlos840 doesn't this remind you of something? I think Diamond Dave was actually pretty close to original with that beltloop on your JH-1 :p

eazLjng.jpg

First thing i thought about when i saw the pics, "Maybe DD was right all along, he was emulating proper Buco craftsmanship?" I didn't comment because i didn't want to start dissing Mendel's new jacket, but i have to say attention to detail on most Bucos is pretty poor...

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic find there Mendel!! So glad this was able to make its way to you. Neat also that Marc is so close by and you guys obviously share a similar passion for leathers. Anyone who saw you both with your D-pockets on must have noticed.

I hope you get to wear it in good health and enjoy it fully! Fit is perfect and what a deal for sure. Just great it wound up on tha back of someone who will really appreciate it.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Thanks everyone for the awesome comments, congratulations and well-wishes! Without this forum, this dream would not have become a reality. That said, without this forum this jacket collecting hobby would not have spiraled out of control as it has. Oh, well. No matter, as I am an extremely happy camper for it! I promise you all I shall wear it in good health. Great thing about having a large jacket collection is that this Buco will probably still outlive me.

@Carlos840 where are you finding the busted seams? The only ones I am aware of are in the right sleeve at the elbow, the sleeve actually has a small opening there because of it. So the next conquest is to find a good leather craftsman/tailor in the area that I actually trust with my jacket.

@tmitchell59 the jacket indeed originates from Illinois! Galesburg, more specifically.

@photo2u In that case I am very happy you decided not to push through on your high bids! I'm personally not a big fan of mouton collars. The proper, thick and stiff leather belt would be awesome though. Any suggestions where I could land one of those? I'm a big fan of the belt Diamond Dave offered with his J-21 repro, as it is just the type of belt I'm looking for, and it also had additional straps on the belt that attached to the belt loops on the jacket, so the belt would be held in place.

Mabye "busted seams" was a bit much, it looks like there is one really busted seam on the left arm (first pic below), but there are a lot of areas showing 2 or 3 broken stitches.
Admitedly i don't have much experience with vintage jackets, but that kind of thing would scare me.
I read a few stories of vintage jackets with cotton thread that started to fall appart when people started wearing them again and seeing that many broken stitches would make me paranoid about wearing that jacket...
I would be afraid it was a sign of the thread starting to fail all over the jacket.

But i fully admit it might just be me being crazy, that jacket might be super strong!

FXySF9L.jpg

8y0gTYe.jpg

sGrMelG.jpg

mendelboaz

One Too Many
@AeroFan_07 Indeed, it's fantastic to have a similar jacket nerd live so close by. If Marc and I ever decide to hit the bars and paint the town red, I'm sure heads will be turning all night long.

@Carlos840 I appreciate the intent not to diss on my jacket! As for construction quality, in my eyes the lack of picture perfect laser accurate stitching can probably still guarantee a very well-built jacket. I'm sure the jacket will still hold up fine, and if not the image of the jacket falling apart completely while I'm wearing it on the street should be a sight to behold.

@Bfd70 I have to say, that got a genuine chuckle out of me. Well done.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
@AeroFan_07 Indeed, it's fantastic to have a similar jacket nerd live so close by. If Marc and I ever decide to hit the bars and paint the town red, I'm sure heads will be turning all night long.

@Carlos840 I appreciate the intent not to diss on my jacket! As for construction quality, in my eyes the lack of picture perfect laser accurate stitching can probably still guarantee a very well-built jacket. I'm sure the jacket will still hold up fine, and if not the image of the jacket falling apart completely while I'm wearing it on the street should be a sight to behold.

@Bfd70 I have to say, that got a genuine chuckle out of me. Well done.

I really hope it holds, cause it really looks super cool.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

Yes, Galesburg. Population 33,000. Railroad town surrounded by Corn Fields. I saw this jacket and just did nothing. I'm glad for you that I did nothing, you got a Grail jacket!

There was a Harley Dealer here that went back to the 1930s, motorcycle racing was all around here back in the day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21