Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grail Quest jacket found and delivered

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
This is a heart warming story about a jacket deal between two Forum members. One ends up with a Grail Quest jacket.

I buy, sell, trade jackets on a daily basis. I've got a youtube channel and now have instagram. I'm still learning instagram, but know how to respond to messages. Yes, I get a lot o messages about jackets; curious about leather, what size, who made it, and is it for sale. I advertise jackets here, sell on ebay too.

Recently I got a message on instagram about jackets that the writer seemed to know better than me! I was confused because these jackets were never for sale and not even shown for some time. Again, I do a lot of posting etc.,so I answered some questions.

The jackets he was inquiring about were closely held collectors pieces placed on the Top Shelf in my closet. This Cape Skin Californian was one he asked about. I was quick to tell him it was a size 44 and not for sale.

1680798586206.png

He told me his size, which was limiting in my inventory. Then he asked about another jacket in my vault. Never for sale and never priced. Certainly Top Shelf in my world.

I purchased this jacket years ago on ebay. Just an old black jacket with no label, torn lining in a smaller size. I knew it was a cool jacket, but no idea about the history or maker. I don't recall exactly how it was identified, but it got to Ken Calder at Aero. Ken and I exchanged some emails and he gave me the story on the jacket.

It is a Levi jacket from the late 30s, the same jacket that Ken based his Speedway model on. He recognized construction techniques used my Levi. He also said that Levi company did not make all the jackets with their label even in the 30s, but said this one was. Even the lining provided Ken with clues to the maker.

1680799240424.png
1680799268754.png

1680799337703.png
1680799356904.png

Way too small for me I stuffed it and put it in the closet. He was familiar with the jacket and the back story. I sent him an album of pictures since he was a curious sort. I ask him what he was looking for and what sizes worked.

I didn't have much but this guy I just bought. Beautiful leather, great interior, 1935 Talon Zipper, but too small for most wearers. The Cuffs and zipper made it a great fit for my collection if not me.

1680799721038.png
1680799750293.png
1680799790808.png

1680799834928.png

One comment got my attention when I ask what he was looking for: Top Shelf! That was exactly where he was going with his inquire. He knew what he wanted. He asked for a price on the Speedway. I thought; this guy is a serious educated buyer so I shot him a number for the Speedway and Town and Country. He accepted and the jackets went in the mail.

This whole time I don't know who I am working with!

I do all my instagram stuff on my phone and could not seen the picture of the buyer. I knew it was someone who knew me and knew what is what with vintage leather jackets. That is all I needed at the time, his money was good.

He gets the jackets and loves them! So I say, send me pics. I've never seen either jacket worn. Then I see his face! @jeo Then I realized his deep inventory of the finest jackets out there. He shared some pics of a new jacket.

I was pleased to work with such an educated buyer, one who knows his stuff and backs it up with the dough!

I've had another client come from nowhere and go to the top shelf. If he is listening; I've got a couple of more in your size.

By being able to wear the jackets he gave each a new life! I was amazed to actually see these two jackets being worn. I realized how cool and rare they are and how they are supposed to fit.

Thanks to @jeo!

Hopefully he can tell a bit of his side of the story!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Haha it's a small world. @jeo You've got a pair of real nice jackets there. I am surprised the Levis was made in it seems like horsehide. I've always thought these were goatskin back in the day.

Reactions: jeo

jeo

One Too Many
This is a heart warming story about a jacket deal between two Forum members. One ends up with a Grail Quest jacket.

I buy, sell, trade jackets on a daily basis. I've got a youtube channel and now have instagram. I'm still learning instagram, but know how to respond to messages. Yes, I get a lot o messages about jackets; curious about leather, what size, who made it, and is it for sale. I advertise jackets here, sell on ebay too.

Recently I got a message on instagram about jackets that the writer seemed to know better than me! I was confused because these jackets were never for sale and not even shown for some time. Again, I do a lot of posting etc.,so I answered some questions.

The jackets he was inquiring about were closely held collectors pieces placed on the Top Shelf in my closet. This Cape Skin Californian was one he asked about. I was quick to tell him it was a size 44 and not for sale.

View attachment 504932

He told me his size, which was limiting in my inventory. Then he asked about another jacket in my vault. Never for sale and never priced. Certainly Top Shelf in my world.

I purchased this jacket years ago on ebay. Just an old black jacket with no label, torn lining in a smaller size. I knew it was a cool jacket, but no idea about the history or maker. I don't recall exactly how it was identified, but it got to Ken Calder at Aero. Ken and I exchanged some emails and he gave me the story on the jacket.

It is a Levi jacket from the late 30s, the same jacket that Ken based his Speedway model on. He recognized construction techniques used my Levi. He also said that Levi company did not make all the jackets with their label even in the 30s, but said this one was. Even the lining provided Ken with clues to the maker.

View attachment 504933 View attachment 504934

View attachment 504935 View attachment 504936

Way too small for me I stuffed it and put it in the closet. He was familiar with the jacket and the back story. I sent him an album of pictures since he was a curious sort. I ask him what he was looking for and what sizes worked.

I didn't have much but this guy I just bought. Beautiful leather, great interior, 1935 Talon Zipper, but too small for most wearers. The Cuffs and zipper made it a great fit for my collection if not me.

View attachment 504942 View attachment 504943 View attachment 504944
View attachment 504945

One comment got my attention when I ask what he was looking for: Top Shelf! That was exactly where he was going with his inquire. He knew what he wanted. He asked for a price on the Speedway. I thought; this guy is a serious educated buyer so I shot him a number for the Speedway and Town and Country. He accepted and the jackets went in the mail.

This whole time I don't know who I am working with!

I do all my instagram stuff on my phone and could not seen the picture of the buyer. I knew it was someone who knew me and knew what is what with vintage leather jackets. That is all I needed at the time, his money was good.

He gets the jackets and loves them! So I say, send me pics. I've never seen either jacket worn. Then I see his face! @jeo Then I realized his deep inventory of the finest jackets out there. He shared some pics of a new jacket.

I was pleased to work with such an educated buyer, one who knows his stuff and backs it up with the dough!

I've had another client come from nowhere and go to the top shelf. If he is listening; I've got a couple of more in your size.

By being able to wear the jackets he gave each a new life! I was amazed to actually see these two jackets being worn. I realized how cool and rare they are and how they are supposed to fit.

Thanks to @jeo!

Hopefully he can tell a bit of his side of the story!

Thank you again for letting go of the jacket and the kind words. Dealing with you was a pleasure! You’re a true class act and the value of your posts here as well as your YouTube videos are immeasurable!

For me the story started years ago when I first saw pics/videos of the speedway. I immediately fell in love. As far as I’m concerned this is one of the coolest jackets ever made. The perfect black half belt. Sure there are jackets and labels that are more iconic and desirable by collectors, but for me this is Mt. Rushmore piece. It sits atop my mountain along with a few other jackets as the pinnacle of leather jacket design. I also knew that the speedway was a smaller size and would probably fit me.

I initially reached out about it a few years ago via private message here on the lounge. I could sense at the time you were hesitant to let it go as you never gave me a price. I know when to push and when not to. I did not push.

They say patience is a virtue. They also say life is all about timing. This seemed to be the case here.

Fast forward a few years. I’ve recently established a new IG account just for my leather jacket hobby. Of course I follow you Terry, so I reached out again and now I’m the new and proud owner of this spectacular jacket. You gave me a price for both jackets. I immediately said yes. To me the Town and Country was just a bonus. Although it on its own is a super rare jacket that I’m also happy to own.

For me the funny thing about all of this is that the whole time we were going back and forth I was communicating with you thinking that you knew exactly who I was haha!

I sent Terry some down and dirty fit pics of both jackets. They both deserve better. I’m currently in LA for Inspiration, but as soon as I get back I’ll be sure to post proper fit pics of both jackets.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Thank you again for letting go of the jacket and the kind words. Dealing with you was a pleasure! You’re a true class act and the value of your posts here as well as your YouTube videos are immeasurable!

For me the story started years ago when I first saw pics/videos of the speedway. I immediately fell in love. As far as I’m concerned this is one of the coolest jackets ever made. The perfect black half belt. Sure there are jackets and labels that are more iconic and desirable by collectors, but for me this is Mt. Rushmore piece. It sits atop my mountain along with a few other jackets as the pinnacle of leather jacket design. I also knew that the speedway was a smaller size and would probably fit me.

I initially reached out about it a few years ago via private message here on the lounge. I could sense at the time you were hesitant to let it go as you never gave me a price. I know when to push and when not to. I did not push.

They say patience is a virtue. They also say life is all about timing. This seemed to be the case here.

Fast forward a few years. I’ve recently established a new IG account just for my leather jacket hobby. Of course I follow you Terry, so I reached out again and now I’m the new and proud owner of this spectacular jacket. You gave me a price for both jackets. I immediately said yes. To me the Town and Country was just a bonus. Although it on its own is a super rare jacket that I’m also happy to own.

For me the funny thing about all of this is that the whole time we were going back and forth I was communicating with you thinking that you knew exactly who I was haha!

I sent Terry some down and dirty fit pics of both jackets. They both deserve better. I’m currently in LA for Inspiration, but as soon as I get back I’ll be sure to post proper fit pics of both jackets.

Good to be involved with a successful Grail Quest. The fit pics really opened my eyes to the beauty of both jackets. Jackets always looks best on the right fit!

jeo

One Too Many
Jacket season looks to be over. Was in the 80’s today. I’m kind of sad.

It was cool enough in the morning though to take these photos.

I’m over the moon with this one! I think I’ll eventually replace the liner and source a vintage Levi’s label. Not sure if I’ll replace the front zipper yet.

I’m usually not a pop up collar kinda guy but this collar just calls for it.

The last photo really demonstrates how cool of a fit this one has with that amazing front drop. To die for!

B40ECD93-8EC8-4E45-AD35-E06BF96FE8CB.jpeg
1887ED93-48EB-43E3-9F48-6093E04199D4.jpeg
4AE53897-14D2-4CC8-89CE-DE23B056C811.jpeg
3CF53A28-6A0B-4C6F-B411-77D8A6C03691.jpeg
D37078BF-8C6F-4C9D-BA8D-CD4B1DC78C71.jpeg
084443C8-4F13-458A-A25E-AAAC4C8B4A31.jpeg
96DA9D55-8FDB-4C35-A579-2DE662D1ACDC.jpeg

jeo

One Too Many
@Batoidea thanks, I agree.

@dudewuttheheck thanks brotha, doesn't fit as perfectly as your Sportclad but for a vintage jacket it's definitely good enough for me.

@Damon141 thanks man, I love every single detail on that back...the crescent yoke, the center vertical seam, the pleats, the location of the side adjusters centered in between the half belt and the bottom seam. One of my favorite back designs ever!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points