Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gramophones, Phonographs, Victrolas....

moustache

Practically Family
They did!

max the cat said:
I wish the Pearl transfers had been better-but many were early in the digital remastering age--I remember some great classical transfers by Ward Marston-he the John RT Davies of classical transfers-but for all that, hearing these early recordings would override any petty objection.Both (the late) Davies and Marston didnt attempt to improve and digitize but I think respected(when they were worthy) the work of the original engineer-not to mention correct speed.-
just a thought- a 1922 recording of Mahler could have easily involved musicians (and or conductor) who played under or at least witnessed Mahler
1st hand.--

There were musicians in that same orchestra who played under Mahler's baton
There were many from the NY Philharmonic who played as well.They were part of a program in the late 60's wherby they gave their impressions.It was released with a Bernstein 33 LP of the Mahler 5th.
Then re-released by Gil Kaplan on his Mahler 2nd back in 1993.

m2.jpg

There are 40 minutes of "Remembering Mahler" on that disc as well as a cd of Mahler cylinders by Ward Marston from 2001.I have all of these and listen to the memories once a year or so.
t's just ike being there.As far as i know,there are no longer any musicians alive that played under Mahler.They would be at least 116 or so.

If any Loungers are interested in such a cd of these interviews,i would be
more than happy to burn some.Just let me know.

JD(A follower of Mahler for 25 years!!!)

moustache

Practically Family
Maybe

Fletch said:
Got to be a rare make, too. (Durable goods made west of the Rockies back then weren't sold nationally - it was too expensive to ship them.)

I would like to find out more of the history.Alas,i have not seen much about Harris online.But i will keep trying.

JD

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A quick aside...

In Britain, RCA (Radio Corporation of America) is known as HMV. Their logo is the dog "Nipper" looking into the victrola speaker. He is responding to "His Master's Voice", which of course is HMV.

HMV.jpg

And now you know the rest of the story!

-dixon cannon

Vince C.

New in Town
I am a new member and used to come here much more often... have not been here in a while. Then tonight I happened upon your Victrola post.

I have been collecting phonographs for about 10 years now. I have a smaller collection (in comparison to others I know in the hobby).

Anyway I thought I would post a few pictures for you of the collection.

http://home.comcast.net/~vtm12/collection.html

Not all the machines pictured are stilll owned by me. I have sold a few here and there over the years.

The last one pictured is a Regina music box not a phonograph. It dates to pre-1894.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Nice indeed

It's obviously a super nice machine, Moustache. I wish I could find more specific information, but so far no luck.
There were hundreds of small companies that sprang up once the Victor patents began to run out (and before they did). Portables such as yours continued to be sold into the 1930's, well after the electrical pickup was the norm. They saw service again in the War.

Lizziemaine? Your thoughts?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
VINCE!
Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

W O W

What a beautiful collection! I see a Pooley, "oriental finish" cabinets, a walnut cabinet model, schoolhouse, Orthaphonics - much of the stuff that anyone would covet. An excellent collection. And SO beautifully displayed. What is the painting above the Credenza? I've not seen that before.
I hope you'll hang around, be active. I look forward to learning more about you and your machines.
And I'll happily defer to your knowledge. Thanks for sharing!!

moustache

Practically Family
Too bad

scotrace said:
It's obviously a super nice machine, Moustache. I wish I could find more specific information, but so far no luck.
There were hundreds of small companies that sprang up once the Victor patents began to run out (and before they did). Portables such as yours continued to be sold into the 1930's, well after the electrical pickup was the norm. They saw service again in the War.

Lizziemaine? Your thoughts?

Too bad dates are not imprinted on the plates.

JD

Vince C.

New in Town
scotrace said:
VINCE!
Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

W O W

What a beautiful collection! I see a Pooley, "oriental finish" cabinets, a walnut cabinet model, schoolhouse, Orthaphonics - much of the stuff that anyone would covet. An excellent collection. And SO beautifully displayed. What is the painting above the Cradenza? I've not seen that before.
I hope you'll hang around, be active. I look forward to learning more about you and your machines.
And I'll happily defer to your knowledge. Thanks for sharing!!

The print above the Credenza is one of the few pieces in the room that is new. We just liked it a lot so hung it up there. A birthday present from my wife.

The Asian case machine is a VV-XIV Victrola. The walnut is a Circassian Walnut machine a VV-XVI.

max the cat

Familiar Face
mahler

I wasnt aware of Mahler cylinders - orchestral?? piano?

I am most aware and fond of Mahler symph 1- (any idea of the earliest recording of this?) gotta love that bass solo- the most intriguing historic recording to me is the Brahms cylinder-I think it is now generally supposed the the voice before the music is that of Edison rep -not Brahms-but we do get to hear a little improvisation/embellisment from Brahms-but to follow up on your point it is interesting thatmusicians /conductors who performed w/ or at least saw Brahms and Mahler would live on and participate in the recording era.

max

moustache

Practically Family
max the cat said:
I wasnt aware of Mahler cylinders - orchestral?? piano?

I am most aware and fond of Mahler symph 1- (any idea of the earliest recording of this?) gotta love that bass solo- the most intriguing historic recording to me is the Brahms cylinder-I think it is now generally supposed the the voice before the music is that of Edison rep -not Brahms-but we do get to hear a little improvisation/embellisment from Brahms-but to follow up on your point it is interesting thatmusicians /conductors who performed w/ or at least saw Brahms and Mahler would live on and participate in the recording era.

max

The Mahler cylinders are of Welte Mignon piano player rolls.No acoustic cylinders.
And as far as i know,the first recording of the Mahler 1st was in 1958 under Boult. I have a few cd's of pianists who were born in 1839!!One was Francis Plante.Born in 1839,he was 10 when Chopin died and was 21 when Mahler was born!
He died in 1934 at age 96. Now that man saw history!!!

JD

The real Henry

Practically Family
I actually don't own this one... well... not yet!:)

I'll get it as a Christmas present. I know I'll get, because I had to bid on it. My parents just told me to do as they didn't quite know what I wanted. Here it is:

a07d_1.JPG
a3ef_1.JPG
a7c6_1.JPG
ab7c_1.JPG
b656_1.JPG

What do you experts think?
I doupt it is older than 40s or 50s, but what do I know!?

Regards,
Henrik

max the cat

Familiar Face
mahler

thanks for info moustache (and other info re John Helmer)

This (ist rec of Mahler 1st late 50s Sir Adrian-)kind of makes Mahler revival a post war phenom--having looked over many lists of records, Victor Columbia etc from 20's 30's I dont recall much Mahler listed--staple in orchestral repertoire now. I suppose viewed as classic in the last 50 years fueled by lp era. More Mozart post 1957 I undrstand as well-viewing old symphony programs(got to do this in St Louis) bears both out-
lot of Brahms Beethoven schubert performed 1910-40 very little Baroque not much Mozart except #40 maybe-interesting cello concerti Davidoff, Herbert not much performed today but programmed then- more French Ravel Debussy etc than you might think so it wasnt squaresville but dont recall Mahler Bruckner listed in programs. I guess I often wonder is what we view as classic typical then -(maybe sartorially or)
musically

max

moustache

Practically Family
max the cat said:
thanks for info moustache (and other info re John Helmer)

This (ist rec of Mahler 1st late 50s Sir Adrian-)kind of makes Mahler revival a post war phenom--having looked over many lists of records, Victor Columbia etc from 20's 30's I dont recall much Mahler listed--staple in orchestral repertoire now. I suppose viewed as classic in the last 50 years fueled by lp era. More Mozart post 1957 I undrstand as well-viewing old symphony programs(got to do this in St Louis) bears both out-
lot of Brahms Beethoven schubert performed 1910-40 very little Baroque not much Mozart except #40 maybe-interesting cello concerti Davidoff, Herbert not much performed today but programmed then- more French Ravel Debussy etc than you might think so it wasnt squaresville but dont recall Mahler Bruckner listed in programs. I guess I often wonder is what we view as classic typical then -(maybe sartorially or)
musically

max

Bruckner was performed and recorded more than Mahler.Being Catholic,Bruckner always had adherents.Mahler,being Jewish,never had the following and was banned by the Nazis.
Jascha Horenstein recoreded some delightful bruckner in the 20's and 30's.I have some of these symphonies.Good material.

My favourite "vintage" Mahler comes from 1938-39 and then the 50's and 60's.The Mahler 9th with Walter from Vienna,1938,is amazing.One of THE best M9's ever.

JD

max the cat

Familiar Face
suitcase phonos

this is a dandy machine probably 30's judging by reproducer- they used this rca style on portables after the orthophonic era.

not a bad repro- Iknew guys that retrofitted these w/ some rubber gasteting onto pre 1925 (pre Ortho) Victrolas to play later(electrically recorded)
78's- and they played well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner