Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gramophones, Phonographs, Victrolas....

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I have the usual phonograph collector's run of machines, Victors I through VI, Royal, Monarch Junior, Monarch, Victrolas IV, VI, IX, X, XI, XII (a rare one that), XIV, a coupel of XVI's, Victrolas 80, 90, 100, 110, 120, 125, 130, 400, 410, and Orthophonic models Consolette, Colony, Granada, Credenza, 4-3, 4-7, 7-10, 7-11, 7-25, 7-26X, 7-30, 8-30, 8-35, ans 12-25. I'm, looking for a Canadian 8-10, and perhaps a 5-30.

Not much Columbia stuff, just one of the big 800 Viva-tonal machines.

Add to this a few of Edison machines, a Fireside B,
and an Alva are my only cylinder machines, and of course one of the C-250 Diamond discs.

After that, just a few odd combinations from the late 1920's or early 1930's, a Philco 71, Victor RE-75, Philco 211, and a big Fada from 1931, and a couple of European machines, including a G&T Ionic and a Pathe Lumiere.

not very large as phonograph collections go, but the machines surely take up a lot of room! They are, I'm afraid, the reason that most of the house is not safe for guests.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Here are a few photos:

Victrola XVII (as it arrived, it is currently undergoing restoration:

houseandart003-1.jpg

Edison Fireside:

houseandart019.jpg

100_35021.jpg

Very late (1955) Silvertone, an inconsequential machine, but believed to be the last mass-marketed American acoustic talking machine, excepting children's models:

ebaySeptember112008006.jpg

Edison home model B:

Bannerhome.jpg

Clockwise from top left, Columbia graphophone Grand (plays 5" cylinders), Edison Standard Model A, Edison Standard model E, Victor Victrola 8-35

lastscan.jpg

Clockwise from top left, Columbia Grafonola Regent, Edison Business Phonograph, and two views of a Columbia Graphophone Grand:

lastscan4.jpg

Clockwise from top left, Standard X-2, Victor Victrola 215, Columbia Peerless, Aretino:
lastscan2.jpg

Clockwise from top left, Edison Standard model D, Victor Royal, Victor II, Victor I

lastscan3.jpg

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Very scarce RCA Victor model 301 Duo, (1934):

100_34891.jpg

100_34871.jpg

Equally scarce RCA-Victor model 300 Duo (1933):

ebaySeptember112008022.jpg

ebaySeptember112008024.jpg

Nice little Busy Bee (1907):

ebaySeptember092008021.jpg

British HMV hybrid:

eBayNovember262006019.jpg

A couple of modern machines, a 1956 Zenith High Fidelity portable, and a 1955 Trav-ler portable combination:

100_34651.jpg

100_34871.jpg

Sorry for going on so long, but I WAS asked fro pictures. I have many more machines, but this group should suffice, I think. Anyone interested in radio sets?

Brinybay

Practically Family
Show us your Victrolas and other wind-up phonographs.

I recently acquired one and am in the process of learning about these. Rather than go off-subject in the Yard/Thrift Store Finds thread, I thought I would break it off and bring it over here.

On steel needle use:

Lokar said:
From what I was told, replace them every play?

(If you have any tips on maintaining a gramophone they would be most welcome - I have no idea at all).

Me neither, really, other than what I found out about the needles. I'll share what I find out.

Victrola003.jpg

VictrolaCLad2.jpg

VictrolaCLad.jpg

Brinybay

Practically Family
More needle info:

Mr. K.L.Bowers said:
If you can find the tri-angular fiber needles, and your reproducer will accept them, they do much less damage and give a mellow sound. I have a needle cutter made by Victor that you can use to trim them, like an old tobacco cutter, and get many playings out of each needle.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Great stuff pictured here! :eusa_clap

I have a few, used to have more but recently sold two of them off to make way for other items. You can see them all here.
All of them operate well, since buying my first one about 15 years ago I've learned how to rebuild the reproducers myself and also how to maintain them in good working order.
Will be happy to give you as much advice as I can.

Here's the ones I still have:

3266315250_04c33e3247_b.jpg

1906 Edison Home Phonograph, Model B - with a "morning glory" style horn (Plays 2 & 4 minute cylinder records)

2717848074_0c801bcac8_b.jpg

1912 Victor Victrola model XVI-E

934945849_ac573a6e5e_o.jpg

And a 1927 Victor Victrola portable, model VV-2-60 (need to find the original Victor #4 reproducer head for this one and make a new internal record holder)

There's another portable in the collection but don't have pics of it yet to share.

I listen to them as much as I'm able to, there's nothing quite like listening to old 78s on wind-up players.
Changing records for most people is usually an unwanted chore, but these players make it into a fun task.

Brinybay

Practically Family
RetroToday said:
Great stuff pictured here! :eusa_clap

I have a few, used to have more but recently sold two of them off to make way for other items. You can see them all here.
All of them operate well, since buying my first one about 15 years ago I've learned how to rebuild the reproducers myself and also how to maintain them in good working order.
Will be happy to give you as much advice as I can.

I listen to them as much as I'm able to, there's nothing quite like listening to old 78s on wind-up players.
Changing records for most people is usually an unwanted chore, but these players make it into a fun task.

Makes such a difference when you hear a record played on what it was intended to play on and in good repair. I feel for a second as if I'm taking a trip to 1912, or maybe my imagination is just too vivid.

Awesome pics! And that's exactly the sound I'm looking for, the kind that will make me feel like I stepped back in time. I wasn't brave (or patient) enough to try to rebuild mine. Like you, I bought mine needing repairs, and thus it was priced within my budget. I found a local repair man who could do the job. The guts are currently in the shop, should have them back in a couple of weeks.

Lokar

A-List Customer
My record collection! All the records are shellac. Have 91 records, now.

Contains 12 records.

Contains 15 records.

Contains 15 records.

Contains 15 records.

Contains 8 records.

Pile totals to 26 records.

I also found some gramophone needles. Bought cheap, and works out much cheaper than buying new needles. Box was still sealed when I found them.

Reads:
"Use in the same manner as a steel needle. Once inserted, the needle should not be removed until it is finally discarded. It should play up to 60 record sides."

Anybody have any experience with these? I've given them a whirl, they seem fine so far.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I'm offering these for sale in the Classifieds. Are they of any use?

HarpPlayerGene said:
$10.00 shipped in U.S. (PM me if you want shipping elsewhere.) :)

The blue Miller envelope contains 24 needles.
The small, brown Recoton package contains 14 needles.
One of the silver RECOTON packages is unopened with 25 needles inside.
The other silver RECOTON package has been opened and taped closed - not sure how many are in there but I can feel quite a few.
The Wurlitzer tin is empty but it is great looking as a decoration or as a tool since it has a felt back/bottom for cleaning records.

NOTE: Some (apprx. half) of the needles I looked at while counting have some rust on them.

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

More pix:
http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/harpplayergene/SELLERS/Phonograph Needles/

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Bump!

I picked up a His Master's Voice gramophone (Upright Grand 157) for $200.00 last summer at an antique market. It works perfectly!

Victrola005.jpg

I'm having trouble getting the strong wood polish smell out of the inside cover, though. Tea bags aren't working. Anyone have experience with this?

Last edited:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Strong wood polish smell? Is it some sort of wax a previous owner applied? Or?

I would think it needs to "gas off," (haha) Meaning leave the lid up for as long as possible to let the solvents evaporate. But after a YEAR, that can't be the case...

(nice find)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Thanks! I believe it is wax. I washed the whole outside of it down with Murphy's Oil and that did the trick, but I don't want to use so much water around the turntable. So the smell remains. I have kept the lid closed about 80% of the time since I bought it, which might be the issue...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner