Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gran Torino- Clint Eastwood

Hondo

One Too Many
Definitely Eastwood can still kick some butt, he’s all it, everything, a great man, actor an director, take that Spike! Thanks for the YouTube and post.

Feraud

Bartender
Lincsong said:
Maybe, Clint is coming back from the foo foo movies of late. Welcome back Harry Callahan.:eusa_clap
Yeah. Flags of our Fathers is for girls. :)

So what is the plot of this movie? The trailer makes it look like one of the later Death Wish movies. I thought Eastwood had evolved as a director/actor enough to not stick himself in that type of dreck.

I just found a few words from the man himself.
When it was first announced, rumors began to circulate that Clint Eastwood’s Gran Torino was a new Dirty Hairy film. That rumor turned out to be bunk, but we haven’t heard much about the project since. That is until now. Eastwood spoke briefly about the film while doing press for The Changeling.

In Gran Torino, Eastwood plays Walt Kowalski, a racist Korean War veteran who reluctantly bonds with an immigrant Asian neighbor over a classic car - his 1972 Gran Torino. Eastwood describes his character as “unflattering and potentially controversial”, and says the film “slams both prejudice and political correctness.”

“I’m a weirdo in it. I play a real racist. … It’s a great time in life (to do that) because, you know, what can they do to you once you’re past 70? There’s nothing they can do. But it also has redemption. This Hmong family moves in next door, and he has been in the Korean War, in the infantry, and looks down on Asian people and lumps everybody together. But finally they befriend him in his time of need because he has no relationship with his family.”

Warner Bros is planning to release Gran Torino in New York City on Christmas Day, but no wide release date has been officially announced.
http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/10/10/clint-eastwoods-gran-torino-details-finally-revealed/

R.I.P. Dirty Harry. ;)

59Lark

Practically Family
clint eastwood rocks.

Just watching the preview on u tube, got my blood racing, darn darn darn. Finally a good movie, and my wife says all you watch is tcm or amc. About time, I Actually had friends that owned torino, and rode many a mile in one, and I have friends that are veterans and they usually arent people to screw with and most still have a gun, so this movie looks good. The movie is coming out here this week in Canada, if they dont release locally will go see long john silvers, 59Lark. :D

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I saw it last week.
Its fantastic. LOVED it. My new favorite film. I never thought it was going to be so funny! One of the best character driven films Ive seen in a long time.

LD

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Lady Day said:
I saw it last week.
Its fantastic. LOVED it. My new favorite film. I never thought it was going to be so funny! One of the best character driven films Ive seen in a long time.

LD

Thanks, Lady Day! Now I really can't wait to see it.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
You'd be hard pressed to find a guy tougher than Clint Eastwood.
I can't wait to see this movie! Thanks for the YouTube trailer.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The thing with this film, he plays his age. Hes not oblivious to the fact hes old. He takes a fall or two, he hurts his back, he asks for help when he cant lift something. But hes not decrepit.

He walks around the film with this permanent scowl on his face. It is so funny! (He looks like what the retired Bruce Wayne in Batman Beyond would look like to me.)

By largest issue is actually with his own family. I thought they made them too generic.

LD

Story

I'll Lock Up
Eastwood's Esquire interview

http://www.esquire.com/features/what-ive-learned/clint-eastwood-quotes-0109

I'm not even gonna post the best quote in it..
rofl.gif

clint-eastwood-0109-lg.jpg

Josephine

One Too Many
I first heard about this movie (and this type of car) yesterday with this thread, today we went to get a new car and they had a Torino on the lot. Hmmmm... o_O

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21