Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GREAT '30s Tie I Didn't Get !!

Wild Root

Gone Home
I totally understand... it will grow on you... trust me!;) I wear my ties on the short side some times... and I have a friend who loves them... he calls him self Mr. Five by Five! Hahahaha. He likes the short little tie look.

Give it time, you'll get into it!

=WR=

Zach R.

Practically Family
Is that one of the ties from the lot you won? I can't tell because the pictures in the link are missing.

BTW, I still have about 17 ties from that lot of Rayon ties I won a while back from Australia if anyone is interested, I need them "out, out, out!" before I move out next month.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No, that's a Mozart-themed tie from Austria that I got from Marc Chevalier. It's a wonderful little tie. The first few times I tried it, I couldn't even get a knot into it. After some fiddling I finally did. The trick is having almost no "short end" when starting the four-in-hand.

Wild Root

Gone Home
FOUR IN HAND?!? Oh Tony, that's why it's so short! Buddy, you don't use that knot on a vintage tie of the 30's or 40's... single Windsor is the knot to tie for early styled ties! You want a small knot, not big! Take a gander at all the movies from the 30's and 40's... you'll see small narrow knots!

Try a single and you'll see an amazing difference!

=WR=

Windsor is bulkier than 4 in hand, surely?

four-in-hand.gif

Windsor

windsor-knot.gif

bk

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oh, Hmmmmm, interesting... the knot looks bigger in the photo of Tony wearing the tie... I'm I wrong? If I am, I don't really care but, hummm, I thought four in hand was a double Windsor? I guess I'm wrong... no big deal.

=WR=

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
That knot is awfully big, isn't it? Maybe you aren't tightening it enough? It doesn't look like there is a dimple, so pulling the wider end down a little more should give you a nicely shaped knot.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I think the fellows are right. Try to get a smaller knot in your tie-it might give you a bit more in length and will look sharp in a vintage tie. Are your trousers high waisted? That will help if you don't have a 3 piece...either way I say it does look good on you. It took me a while to get used to the very short ties,but now I'm hooked--no going back!:D

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ah, neck sizes... I forgot to take that into account... I know this too well because I have a few bowties that are sized... not adjustable that I found at a thrift shop... they're rare... white with a nice undertone pattern I've never seen before on a white dress bowtie... also, I have a great black bowtie that came with the same lot... all too small for me! RATS!!! I need a good vintage black bowtie soon... I thought I had one but, the one I have isn't going to work.:cry:

=WR=

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I didn't really want to yank on that tie, I was frankly surprised that I got it tied in the first place. The "narrow end" is indeed fairly wide, but when I got it tied, both ends were fairly even.

When it cools down I'll get a pic in my 3-piece.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Can I pop in and ask a quick question? Got a 30s/early 40s tie pin (at least I think it is), the barrette kind, and it's too narrow for his ties. Were ties narrower back then? I'll make him one to fit, but should it stay narrow-ish to the bottom, or were they narrow to where you put the tie pin then flare out again. The pin is 2.25 inches long, but you'd lose 0.25 to the tie and the way it clips together. And where does it go? I'm guessing about 5-6 inches down from the base of throat. Thanks.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Sounds like you have a tie bar... it's a item much like a paper clip and it slides over the tie to hold it down. Those were popular in the 20's to the 50's. I have a number of them my self. Ties in the 20's were known to be some what narrow but, not stick skinny... depended on the style of the tie. In the 30's, they became some what wider... in the 40's they stayed the same till later on after the war... they got wider. In the early 50's they were wide but, by the mid 50's ties started to get narrow. By the 1960's most ties were very narrow.

If it's an early tie bar, those hold the tie some where in the middle of the tie when it's tied... that's where I wear'em. I do have some tie clips that are short, they have a small spring clip on the back and they're from the 50's. They were designed to wear lower and not cover the whole tie.

Hope that helps,
Rob.

Caledonia

Practically Family
That's exactly it, a paper clip! It's not spring loaded so it would have to clip to hold in place. Sounds like an early one then. If I make one to fit, should I still widen it out towards the base, but elegantly, not like a sudden fit and flare job?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran