Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GREAT '30s Tie I Didn't Get !!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Marc, I think that first tie is probably from Halle Brothers, later Halles. (as in "Hallie"), not Fralle. Halle's remains a major department store in Cleveland (unless they've now closed).

At Christmastime, they used to buy time on Cleveland TV for their "Mr. Jingaling" show. Mr Jingaling was suposed to be the Keeper of the Keys to Toylanbd. A older guy in green leotards. This was in the '60's - '70's. You could then go see Mr. Jingaling live at the store.

"Mis-ter Jing-a-ling/ how you ting-a-ling/ keeper of the keys/ On Halle's seventh floor/ we'll be looking for/ you to turn the key,"

HA! Found a pic!

lore00.jpg

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
Marc, I think that first tie is probably from Halle Brothers, later Halles. (as in "Hallie"), not Fralle. Halle's remains a major department store in Cleveland (unless they've now closed).

At Christmastime, they used to buy time on Cleveland TV for their "Mr. Jingaling" show. Mr Jingaling was suposed to be the Keeper of the Keys to Toylanbd. A older guy in green leotards. This was in the '60's - '70's. You could then go see Mr. Jingaling live at the store.

"Mis-ter Jing-a-ling/ how you ting-a-ling/ keeper of the keys/ On Halle's seventh floor/ we'll be looking for/ you to turn the key,"

HA! Found a pic!

lore00.jpg

According to my sources, Halle Bros. closed in the mid 90's, regretably. I found this nifty comprehensive list of department stores past and present here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_department_stores#United_States_of_America

(I used to watch Mr. Jingaling on TV)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
WOW. That first one is brilliant. Very surrealist inspired. Makes me think of some of Adrian's designs in "The Women".

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:

AAARRRGGGHHHHH!

Take a look. Not '40s; it's actually from the '30s. What do you think of it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1930s-D...2QQihZ018QQcategoryZ52387QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've seen that beautiful tie in person, the seller is a friend of mine. He has one of the best private collections of vintage clothing I have ever seen, and I've seen some GOOD ones. His house is like stepping into 1942, furniture, reading material, kitchenware, everything. Closets BULGING with amazing threads. Even all his socks and underwear are 40's or earlier.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Lincsong said:
At least Chev didn't bid $2,500.01 on that tie.lol :D :eek: :eusa_doh: :rolleyes:

Oh, be quiet you!:p It wasn't my fault ebay made the mistake!:rage:

Any way, Marc, I wish you got this tie or let me know about it!!! I woudl have payed money for this!!!

atie51.jpg

I LOVE music styled ties!!!

=WR=

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
One thing to be aware of when dealing with vintage ties...

A 48" tie sounds long enough, but...

I love the tie, anyway. I'll probably put it in a picture frame or figure a way to display it. :)

(The hat? A Knox 20 in very nice shape, eBay, $15.50. Gotta love it!)

Wild Root

Gone Home
Noooo!

Tony, ever notice how men wore ties in those days? They were short! I wear my ties on the short side but, I also wear my pants much higher.

I don't think that looks bad, if you don't like it, just keep your coat buttoned!

Wear it, enjoy it, and don’t give a kick about what others think! It looks period correct man!

Trust me, I know what I speak!

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
Must remember that most men of your stature back then wore their ties like that! Also, most men in the 30's wore three piece suits... so, ties didn't need to be long!

Time to have Magnoli make you a three piece! ;)

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran