Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great Aero D-Pocket M/C Jacket!

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Hey guys,

Here's a great Aero D-Pocket jacket, complete with NOS Talon zips, slimmed back (this jacket fits super slim!!!), rust snap-on fur collar (second photo, below the base of the back of the jacket), length adjustments, leather facing, etc.

What we did was take the general model of the Buco J-24 and revise it with a slimmer type of back (just cressant gussets instead of a full-action back, a little bit like a Buco J-71 or Indian Ranger jacket), some added length to both the body and the arms, and a coin pocket that's more sturdy using a squared-off flap (most original Buco J-24s have the coin pocket flap all screwed up due to the curvature of the flap)...the straight repo would be cheaper to make, so if that's what peeps want, that's what we'd like to get for them....

Here are the photos...why don't we take a poll...Do you like this "adjusted" J-24 style better, or would you want us at Insurrection to just carry straight Buco J-24 Repos, with Buco Tag, full-action back, fuller fit due to the full-action back, etc.? To me, this jacket represents the best of the Indian Ranger, the Buco J-71, and the Buco J-24, each of which were considered one of the very best in motorcycle jackets in their day! Your response would really help us out...here are the photos...

J106Front.jpg

J106Back.jpg

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Looks like a great jacket, though to be honest I'm not knowledgeable enough about the different original Buco styles to really see what you've done from looking at the jacket in isolation like this. Great jacket, though.

JanSolo

Practically Family
If I was in the market for a classic motorcycle jacket I would buy this "hybrid" instantly!! Well done! Much better than the fuller and shorter original ones and the detachable fur collar in mid brown (?) looks adorable.
Is it a "Moira"- or "Janet"-Jacket?

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
If I was in the market for a classic motorcycle jacket I would buy this "hybrid" instantly!! Well done! Much better than the fuller and shorter original ones and the detachable fur collar in mid brown (?) looks adorable.
Is it a "Moira"- or "Janet"-Jacket?

We have a size run, so Moira made some, Janet others...yet each looks pretty perfect! I think Will made sure that this batch was something special, as each jacket is the best Aero craftsmanship I've ever seen!

The collar is what Aero calls "rust brown," which is very cool. The rust brown matches, quite accurately, what color Buco used for their collars on the horsehide J-24s!

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Here is the first shot Carrie got of me this morning in the Aero "adjusted" J-24 jacket...

Wadeinj10611111.jpg

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Looks good. You need another three guys in variations of the same jacket to pull off the photo perfectly, though....

the-ramones-rocket-to-russia-98778.jpg

;)

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
I wanted to put the jacket up next to an original Buco J-24, so that I could get some feedback. The great thing about this is that I'm the same person, but in different jackets, separated in production date by about 60 years. The first picture is of me in an original 1950s Buco J-24. The second picture is of me in the Aero-made D-Pocket, with many resemblances to an original Buco J-24. The changes to the original Buco J-24 are itemized above. What do you guys think...original Buco or Aero, as JanSolo put it, "hybrid" D-Pocket???

66005_1667887577944_1259942369_1749597_7206293_n.jpg

Wadeinj10611111.jpg

Last edited:

Chi-Town Co

Familiar Face
Mojo- have to agree with JanSolo on this one and go with the hybrid.. I think the added length and slimmer cut are much better..

Edward

Bartender
I like them both. The original would probably be a better option for my not-so-svelte-as-once-it-was physique, but for those who can carry it off and really like that form-fitting, cafe racer style, I can see the appeal for the modified jacket. The additional length I could take or leave personally - I'm not bothered by the notion of originals being "too short" as some feel, though I imagine if I rode a Far Eastern racing bike with a riding position crouched over the tank, I would appreciate an extra inch or two to ensure my lower back stayed covered.

bikerpoizun

New in Town
I think your hybrid is a nice-looking jacket, barely different from the Buco, but I prefer the shorter fit of a classic motorcycle jacket. If you make the jacket very long it will bunch up uncomfortably when riding a motorcycle, especially when made of Aero's heavy horsehide.
Both jackets in your pix seem to be of an equally slim fit.
My personal favorite motorcycle jacket is Aero's King of the Road, a near perfect copy of an old Sears Hercules style, which was certainly influenced by the Buco J-22.

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
I think your hybrid is a nice-looking jacket, barely different from the Buco, but I prefer the shorter fit of a classic motorcycle jacket. If you make the jacket very long it will bunch up uncomfortably when riding a motorcycle, especially when made of Aero's heavy horsehide.
Both jackets in your pix seem to be of an equally slim fit.
My personal favorite motorcycle jacket is Aero's King of the Road, a near perfect copy of an old Sears Hercules style, which was certainly influenced by the Buco J-22.

I definitely agree here, and I know where you're coming from, but in my humble opinion jackets were just way too short back in the day...it's like they were all made for guys 5'6" and under. For example, here's me fooling around (here you go Edward...LOL...) in my elongated Vanson Comet, which has a back length of 26". As you can see, there's certainly no bunching...just good movement and protection--

9614936.jpg

This Aero "Hybrid" D-Pocket is 26" in length too...here's the back! Nice and fitted to move with the rider on the bike...

J106Back11.jpg

The feedback has been great so far! It seems we might just have to replicate, stitch for stitch, the Buco J-24 for the riders who prefer the shorter length and full-action back. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

bikerpoizun

New in Town
Everyone is different in how things fit. I spent a few hundred on a made in USA Harley-Davidson D pocket jacket, assuming that since nearly all jackets today are 26" in length that that length would be OK for my average height........NOT!
It is far too long and looks especially ridiculous unbuckled and unzipped- hangs down almost to my crotch.
Not long after I bought it, I priced an Aero KOTR using a Bing and an Ebay combined discount of 40% but could not pull the trigger on the $417 price after having just wasted the money on the HD jacket. DOH!!!!!
The HD jacket has not been worn in over a year.

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Here's the jacket with the fur collar on it. We did it in black and white. This could almost be in an old Langlitz catalog...I really like this black and white style of photo...all grainy and all!--

DSC00551-Copy-111.jpg

I would totally mistake me in this photo for wearing an original 25 inch length (some actually were blessed enough to get one this long back in the 1950s!) horsehide Buco J-24...it just has that look...what do you guys think?

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I'm fascinated by the Insurrection takes on the Aero models - I think I've said before it reminds me of what Buzz Rickson did when they tweaked old US military designs to create the William Gibson collection. Nice too to see proof that they're just as good as the originals for the intended purpose, i.e. on the back of the bike! ;)

Everyone is different in how things fit. I spent a few hundred on a made in USA Harley-Davidson D pocket jacket, assuming that since nearly all jackets today are 26" in length that that length would be OK for my average height........NOT!
It is far too long and looks especially ridiculous unbuckled and unzipped- hangs down almost to my crotch.
Not long after I bought it, I priced an Aero KOTR using a Bing and an Ebay combined discount of 40% but could not pull the trigger on the $417 price after having just wasted the money on the HD jacket. DOH!!!!!
The HD jacket has not been worn in over a year.

Much as I am no fan of Harley, you can't know the resale power of the brand. You might not get close to all of your money back, but you could get a fair whack of it. At least over here now Harley is as much a fashion brand as it is a biker thing, with the end result that the market is pretty wide open for their products.

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
I'm fascinated by the Insurrection takes on the Aero models - I think I've said before it reminds me of what Buzz Rickson did when they tweaked old US military designs to create the William Gibson collection. Nice too to see proof that they're just as good as the originals for the intended purpose...

Edward,

I was taking a look at the William Gibson collection and the stuff is absolutely amazing! I loved the look and the quality level (at least from what I could tell)! Why don't we hear more about this William Gibson gear? I thought it was some of the best looking repo flight gear (even if it isn't 100% historically accurate) that I've seen...!!!

Edward

Bartender
Probably a combination of the fact that most folks in these parts prefer gear which does stick as close as possible to the originals (we're not the target market for them, really), and the fact that however nicely made they are, they're still very expensive. I mean, a black nylon MA1, however nice, for hundreds? Ditto the M65...

MetalPez

New in Town
Wow Mojo1975, that jacket is great!!

I'm thinking about purchasing an Aero J106 or a Black Stallion from Legendary (Yep, i know you all love Aero's and i know you work with them). The point is that I like fitted jackets, so I'll be pleased if you could help me with some questions.

Have this arms (on your jacket) been "adjusted" or original Aero's are just fitted like these in your jacket?

My chest is just 40'' so, would a 40 size Aero's be ok for me or would it look a little wide/loose?

Do you know about back lenght on a Type J106? I think 25'' could be a little short for me (i'm only 6 tall, but i realy hate hen a jacket looks short on me).

Mojo1975, sorry about my interrogation, but i really apreciate your help.

Thank you!

MP

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Wow Mojo1975, that jacket is great!!

I'm thinking about purchasing an Aero J106 or a Black Stallion from Legendary (Yep, i know you all love Aero's and i know you work with them). The point is that I like fitted jackets, so I'll be pleased if you could help me with some questions.

Have this arms (on your jacket) been "adjusted" or original Aero's are just fitted like these in your jacket?

My chest is just 40'' so, would a 40 size Aero's be ok for me or would it look a little wide/loose?

Do you know about back lenght on a Type J106? I think 25'' could be a little short for me (i'm only 6 tall, but i realy hate hen a jacket looks short on me).

Mojo1975, sorry about my interrogation, but i really apreciate your help.

Thank you!

MP

If you like fitted jackets, you won't like the Legendary jackets. However, if a little loose is your style, then Legendary could be a good choice. We don't give sizing help online, as we size differently than Aero and our patterns are different (i.e. slimmer). However, if you'd like to be fitted in a J-106, give us a holler at the shop!

Don't mind the earlier photos of me in the jacket...they're a bit distorted...don't know why...dumb photo editor...LOL...

Yet, here's a great photo of me in an Insurrection J-106 that went to one of our wonderful customers!!!

Wade1.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy