Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great Find! Don Gentile American Ace was near to me

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just been reading a book on the great Don, S. Gentile from Piqua, Ohio, who was the USAAF's top scoring fighter ace and the first to been Rickenbacker's WW1 score (although a few of Rickenbacker's were actually aerial recce balloons..go figure!).

Amazingly, Gentile was never decorated with the MOH, which to many has been seen as a slight, and should be rectified.

Anyway, while reading this biography on Gentile (sounded Gentilly, as it's Italian), he was trained on Spitfires (having joined the RAF early on in the war) at an operational training unit at RAF **********
But, unless you knew, there is no indication to its heritage or the famous people who have passed through its gates. Maybe this is something that needs rectifying too (a plaque or something).

Guys, call me easily pleased, but I am over the moon to discover all of this!!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just donated a photograph of Don Gentile.

I don't think half the folk in the flying club appreciate the historical aviation significance their flying flield has.

One of America's top scoring aces in the ETO, Don Gentile from Ohio, first learnt to fly Spitfires there at RAF ***** what's its name..?? LoL (see stand above), before joining his operational RAF Eagle Sqdn (well before the US entered the war).

He was the first to break WW1 ace, Eddie Rickenbacker's top standing score. Yet, there's not a 'dickie bird' to show that he was ever near this field.

So the other day, Paddy being a silly nostalgic Paddy as he is!...cycled an 18 mile round trip with a pic of Don Gentile in his day sack, to deliver with a note to the Flying Club. No one was there, so I just popped it in the post box. I just hope they realise the significance. But there were so many aces, USAAF and RAF, who passed through those gates to get familiarised on Spitfires, that there should be some sort of memorial.

Then again, maybe Brontasauraus Paddy here is just out of touch with the real world, and maybe memorials to heroes just isn't 'cool' anymore...! Anyway, they have their photo!! lol.:)

dalea

New in Town
You are so fortunate to live in the UK where you can visit the places of history right in your own back yard. Here in the states we have a few airports that were used as training bases and such where an old building might still stand, but not airfields that combat missions where flown from. We have numerous museums and airshows and a couple years ago I got to fly on the Experimental Aircraft Assn. B-17G "Aluminum Overcast" What a joy! The vibration and noise is incredible I will never forget that ride. Ive also logged numerous hours in my brother in laws AT-6 Texan. This a/c is my favorite of all the planes ive flown. The B17 was just a ride, the insurance wouldnt let me act as a pilot.
Maybe someday when us yanks are not hated so much I"ll make a jaunt over there and see some real history. Ill look pretty weird on the flight with my A-2 crush cap and jamming out to Glen Miller. My wife probably wont even sit by me let alone what my kids would think

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
British tunes and American lyrics...winning combinations!

Originally posted by dalea
Maybe someday when us yanks are not hated so much I"ll make a jaunt over there and see some real history. Ill look pretty weird on the flight with my A-2 crush cap and jamming out to Glen Miller. My wife probably wont even sit by me let alone what my kids would think

Ha ha! your poor wife!! I think you'll find that your cousins across the pond here in the UK will always have an open door and welcome fire in the hearth in your home-from-home.

Ironic that this was written all those centuries ago when the British were attacking an American fortress, yet...there's a poignancy to it today, when we do have to stand up and be counted, make difficult decisions in standing up to tyranny, for the sake of freedom and democracy. The tune is English by the way, the words are American, so maybe even this shows the long standing partnership, as do your flag's colours (taken from the union jack of the UK, red, white and blue), these are the colours that will never run.

Oh, thus be it ever when free men shall stand,
Between their loved homes and the war's desolation;
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land
Praise the Power that has made and preserved us as a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust";

So....get yourself over here soon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner