Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great songs remade

Kadri

Familiar Face
Being a bit patriotic,I must mention Mart Sander and his Swing Swindlers-from Estonia,obviously-who specialize in the sound of 30's and 40's German Schlagers,but also do mean versions of Tin Pan Alley tunes.I like his authentic approach-can't help feeling hostile towards 'modernized' versions of old songs.

Sander's short film 'Berlin 1945',channeling the downfall of the Third Reich shows us a musical evening in a hideout,where people go to forget the war.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f6jJFLJ8Uc

Mart Sander is the only single dominant person in Estonia right now,who promotes vintage music.
He's also a painter and author of three books.
Once a member of the 80's cult bigband Modern Fox.They were wonderful,before they faded into a 'call us to your wedding reception or birthday party' band.

http://www.estmusic.com/index.php?0113372123145

http://www.estmusic.com/index.php?0113372123113

Count me in as a fan of Max Raabe,too,though I'm slightly oppposed to his 'novelty tunes'.

And then there's Julverne,the obscure Old World movement in Prog rock wich goes in for swing,classical,blues and all the other good old stuff.

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3n0lyZm5xM

crazydaisy

Practically Family
I've looked up your recommendations Kadri and I think they sound lovely!

Kassia mentioned earlier Diana Krall - she is great!

And although a lot of people will hate me for this I have to say I quite like Aguilera's version of Candyman - and this does not come from a fan! [huh]

DeCorslee

New in Town
Night and Day

Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66 did a really good version of Night and Day (if you like the Sergio Mendes style of Latin Jazz).

I love the original and Sergio Mendes' version too. A well-conceived conversion of a vintage classic to Latin style.

Its worth listening to and is probably on youtube somewhere.

Herr Hitman

One of the Regulars
Kent Allard said:
For the best remake of a classic song I'd have to go with Melora Hardin's cover of Begin the Beguine on "The Rocketeer" soundtrack.

Wow, only three posts on here and two concerning The Rocketeer. I'm gonna need to branch out more.

Favorite movie. I listen to the score when I am driving around in my car.
Reminds me of better days.

Melora Hardin is gorgeous in the Rocketeer and she has a voice on her too.

Herr Hitman

One of the Regulars
kamikat said:
I'm not much into the crooner stuff, but there are a few good remakes out there. I love Big Bad Voodoo Daddy's version of Minnie the Moocher and Brian Sezter's Mack the Knife. Big Bad Voodoo Daddy's original stuff really swings. They've done a good job of giving swing a modern feel. Brian Setzer is more rockabilly than swing.

Have you heard the new album of Cab Calloway songs?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
Back in the late 30s or early 40s, there was a songwriter (ASCAP) strike, so some of the big bands swung classical music. Glenn Miller did "Song of the Volga Boatmen," "Moonlight Sonata," and there were several others.

Turning that inside out, Rod Stewart has done some four albums of standards. I love standards, and I love Rod Stewart, but I don't like Rod Stewart singing standards.

Songwriter's strike of 1942-1943, I think that's what you're referring to.

I have the 4-CD set of Rod Stewart singing the GASB, and it's really incredible. Such beautiful music. I think he sang each song just masterfully.

I wish he would do more!

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Shangas said:
I wish he would do more!

And oh, how I wish Rod had done much, much less.

But that's what make the world go 'round, I guess -- different strokes, and all that.

Me, I can't imagine choosing to listen to Rod Stewart (whose early '70s music I very much enjoy) singing standards, when I can instead hear Nat Cole, Frank Sinatra, Billie Holiday, etc. etc.

I'd as soon put on a Rod Stewart standards album as I would a Sinatra album of classic rock hits.

Can you imagine it? Ol' Blue Eyes croons 'Maggie May'

My favorite (relatively) contemporary album of standards is Harry Nilsson's A Little Touch of Schmilsson in the Night, on which the great Gordon Jenkins did the arrangements. Nilsson was a great vocalist and shows a real facility for the standards.

There's a CD version of that album with bonus tracks available now.

A cool story: My buddy was in a crowded tavern some years back, visiting a friend who was a bartender. His friend put Nilsson's album of standards on the stereo, and my buddy complimented him on his choice. "That's a great album you're playing," he told the bartender.

From directly behind him, my buddy heard a voice utter," Say, thanks, pal."

My friend turned around to find himself face to face with none other than Harry Nilsson, who was throwing back a few himself that night.

It's a good thing my buddy liked -- and spoke well of -- the album. Imagine how embarrassed I'll be if ever I'm in a bar where one of those Rod Stewart standards albums is playing, and Stewart happens to be standing behind me.

JennyLou

Practically Family
I love ska music! Some ska bands have done covers of songs from the 1930s and 1940s that are very good. An example is Hepcats cover of Caravan.

Barrelhouse

One of the Regulars
Wow, this is really much too big a topic for me to even wrap my brain around....so many songs so little time!!! So I'll confine myself to just one CD that I just happen to pull off the shelf this very afternoon: Pink Martini's Sympathique. It's a mix of original tunes and standards such as "Amado Mio", "Que Sera Sera", and "Brazil". Pop on your Panama, mix up a Cuba Libre, and bosa nova the evening away.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Linda Ronstadt

I'm amazed that in a 5 year old thread nobody's mentioned Linda Ronstadt's 3great albums of standards, made with Nelson Riddle. They're pretty old now, but I don't think there's ever been an album that boosted the "American Popular Song Book" (to use Jonathan Schwartz's phrase) as much. Great albums with wonderful arrangements by one of the great arrangers.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How life imitates art...
nod%5B1%5D.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd5vvoWcQ4A

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto