Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great Voices

G. Fink-Nottle

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
Golly, two pages of posts already, and nobody's once mentioned Ronald Colman? Check out "Bulldog Drummond" (1929), and try to imagine the impact his voice had on the picturergoers of his time....

I have to agree with this one. Ronald Coleman had a great voice.

I'd like to submit William Conrad. He had one of the richest voices of all time, perfect for radio as well as many of the bit-roles he played on the big screen.

150%20Crime%20Classics%20-%20William%20Conrad.jpg

Novella

Practically Family
Ghos7a55assin said:
I love Lauren Bacall's smokey voice- it makes you see why Bogie fell in love with her. Then again, Bogie had a very distinctive voice, too.

Definitely Bogie and Bacall!

I also think Rosalind Russell, but maybe it's more the manner she said things than her actual voice.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I would have to nominate Paul Robeson, who had a beautiful deep baritone voice, whether he acted or sang. I heard a recording of him portaying Othello. His voice was exquisite. Like James Earl Jones, he just had the deepest, most beautiful voice.

Others -- yes Katherine Hepburn, the ultimate boarding school Yankee voice. I loved the soft, melodic voice of the late Ingrid Bergman. Her daughter, Isabella has it, too, only Italian not Swedish.

Can anyone forget Greta Garbo's first speaking lines in Anna Christie -- "Gimme Viskey."

Then there was Richard Burton, who could recite Shakespeare so beautifully, I loved his voice. He was my favorite Hamlet -- and I've seen seven.

There are so many others, which many of you have already mentioned. But, the above were my absolute favorites.

karol

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Absolutely!

G. Fink-Nottle said:
I have to agree with this one. Ronald Coleman had a great voice.

I'd like to submit William Conrad. He had one of the richest voices of all time, perfect for radio as well as many of the bit-roles he played on the big screen.

150%20Crime%20Classics%20-%20William%20Conrad.jpg
:eusa_clap

William Conrad did the voice-over work for the T.V. series "The Fugitive". What a perfect voice for setting the tone of that show and Richard Kimball's desperate search for the 'one-armed man'! William Conrad; absolutely!

-dixon cannon

tallyho

One of the Regulars
For me Lauren Bacall has the sexiest voice ever! from the first time I saw To Have and Have Not at 2 in the morning when I was 14, I have been in love with her and her voice. My wife still gets jealous when she sees me get goose bumps when she says her first line in any movie i am watching with her.

funny little tidbit, her singing voice was dubbed in To Have and Have Not. and it was dubbed by a Man! Cant remeber who it was now, but it was a recognizable name.

for mens voices I have to go with Gregory Peck. In Twelve O'clock High and To Kill a Mockingbird, his voice sets the tone of the whole movie.

Hondo

One Too Many
K.D. Lightner said:
Then there was Richard Burton, who could recite Shakespeare so beautifully, I loved his voice. He was my favorite Hamlet -- and I've seen seven.

This I agree, whats the vote total count? Me thinks we have a lead in female votes, Katherine Hepburn (3 or 4?) In males, Richard Burton (3 or 4) followed closely by Gregory Peck, Ronald Coleman, James Earl Jones and Bogie.

Doh!

One Too Many
Great choices! Here are a couple of more:

Roscoe Lee Browne (the cook from "The Cowboys")

Taurean Blaque ("Previously on 'Hill Street Blues'..")

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
FDR is a good choice for voice and a better choice for speaker, though our original premise is of the great voices of film.

Perhaps, we should start a thread in The Observation Bar on the great speakers or voices of The Golden Era? ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails