Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great Voices

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
How about R. Lee Ermey? A ver commanding voice.
3aacac5d0ad74.jpg

I had a drill instructor just like him. Turned out to be one heck of a nice fella. Well that was after boot camp.;)

Cheers!

Dan

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
It's interesting -- many of us are now getting into character actors. Some distinct and beautiful voices, there.

John Carradine was one -- he played in many films in the 30's,40's and beyond, was Casey in Grapes of Wrath, also in Stagecoach. I saw him in a touring production of JB (he played the devil) and oh, what a voice!

Other character actors with wonderful voices: Jane Darwell, Hattie McDaniel, Claude Rains, Sidney Greenstreet, Peter Lorre.

Some who had distinct voices, recognizable anywhere: Walter Brennan, James Stewart, Andy Devine, George Ganny Hayes.

I love the voice of my very favorite actor, Sir Alec Guiness. Before he was Obi-Wan Kenobi, he palyed everything from priest detectives to classic characters in British films, to Arab princes and Russian revolutionaries in David Lean films. Alway, always, he had that distinct and wonderful voice.

I also loved the voice of the late Charles Kerault, who was on the CBS Sunday Morning show. I miss him, still.

Saw a show the other night on Edward R. Murrow, a distinct and great voice if there ever was one.

I could go on and on. Glad you are all mentioning the character actors out there. So many!

karol

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Watched 'V For Vendetta' last night. Great story. But I thoroughly enjoyed listening to Hugo Weavings voice through the Guy Fawkes mask. Now there is a supurb narrators voice that will keep you capitvated. Don't you agree "Mr. Anderson"?;)
hugo-weaving-V-for-Vendetta.jpg

hugo3.JPG

Cheers!

Dan

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Peter Falk has had a long career and a distinctive voice.

Though it was probably his pacing, enunciation and mannerisms that really made Columbo unique and created the voice we think of for the diffident detective.

For that matter his fellow "Princess Bride-ian" Mandy Patinkin can do everything from comedy to drama and sing a little to boot.

Jimmy Caan and Robert Duvall, you can tell when they're on screen from the other room.

Paul Newman in Long Hot Summer? Cat on a Hot Tin Roof? Cool Hand Luke? That man had (has) a hell of a voice. I'm surprised they weren't sweeping up ladies underwear in the theatres after the show. And he had the clothes again in Road to Perdition.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Roger said:
Is it just me or did Al Pacino's voice change as he got older? He had a very mello soft voice in The Godfather,The Godfather II, And for Justice for all(?). But, with Scarface his voice started getting more raspy.
And his performances and character choices have gone over the top. I rather miss the contemplative Michael Corleone.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hemingway Jones said:
And his performances and character choices have gone over the top. I rather miss the contemplative Michael Corleone.

Pacino started playing "Pacino" instead of his particular character. EveryTHing Had To Be EmPhaSized.

He's turned into the Michael Bolton of the screen, 0-120 in 0 seconds.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lincsong said:
I agree HemJ, the comtemplative Michael Corleone is far better than the yelling, raspy voices from the 1980's on.:D
Is there a way to bring him back for at least one more performance? I don't mean Michael Corleone (though it would be great to have The Godfather III be a dream sequence!), I mean the soft-spoken and contemplative Al Pacino.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails