Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Greta Garbo Makeup Suggestions

cashun

New in Town
I've recently become obsessed with the stunning Greta Garbo. I've desperately searched the internet for the amazing makeup that was used on GG to create the equisite perfect poreless skin she has. I've seen many tutorials on her eyes (layer of vaseline, followed by a layer of nude powder, dark shade in crease, kohl and petrolium lining top). Personally, I can't use that much vaseline, my makeup would slide right off.

Does anyone have a more modern suggestion to achiever her fabulous eyes, as well as any idea of what GG used on her face (foundation, powder, blush, and lipstick)?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I'm not certain about actual products, but looking at photos, I'd say the first thing you need is a perfect complexion! I would look for a really good primer to even out your skintone and give the "poreless" look and then top it with a powder foundation.

I found this info online, which may help some:

Greta Garbo is the best example of the 30's make-up trends. The most representative visual icon of the decade, who exemplifies this make up, is Greta Garbo as she was in the ‘30s. Harmonizing was with very white rice powder. A black line was outlined over the upper line of the eye, from the tear duct to the end of the eye, which created something like a hill in the middle. On the side opposite the tear duct, in the corner of the eye, an upturned triangle was traced in black pencil, and not filled in. A banana shape, covering the upper eyelid’s crease in brown, lengthened the eye socket downwards. This shape was blurred and gone-over with a brown form. The mobile eyelid typically bore an ivory, beige or cream color. The same color as on the mobile eyelid went in the arc of the eyebrow. The entire upper lashes were very strongly marked out with mascara, while lower lashes were only marked in the center, a quarter either way. Lips were very fine and stretched. The top of lips were round and sometimes the upper lip was made up to look longer. Blush was very discreet and usually in brown tones.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Does anyone have a more modern suggestion to achiever her fabulous eyes, as well as any idea of what GG used on her face (foundation, powder, blush, and lipstick)?

According to TCM film guide's Leading Ladies, offscreen she used just a bit of mascara, eyebrow pencil, powder and lipstick to look her best.

As for her film make-up, forthworthgal's quote sounds pretty spot on. It appears as though she uses a thin line of black eyeliner along the top lash line, shadow for quite a bit of emphasis on her eyelid crease, and of course, long (not thick) false eyelashes. It looks like she also shadowed her lower lash line, but I'll wager she didn't in the daytime.

Carefully study her studio portraits, keeping in mind that her make-up was applied much more dramatically for black and white film.

Greta+Garbo+Gallery+(3).jpg

Last edited:

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I read that Garbo's eyelashes were naturally that long (I have only met one other girl in real life who had lashes like hers) - here's a quote I found from Clarence Sinclair Bull:

“There has never been anything false between Greta Garbo and me,” he once said. But he was curious, as many were, about her famous eyelashes. “At the end of one long sitting ... I thought I heard myself say, ‘Are they real?' A slow smile drifted across her mouth ... the lashes fluttered ... a throaty giggle. ‘What are you talking about, Mr. Bull?' Are your lashes real?' ‘Pull them and find out.'” So he did – and they were.

DameWhoDrinks

Familiar Face
It looks like her natural lip shape, but lining your lips that defined and pronounced could help you look like Ms garbo .line out side your natural line and use concealer to help shape

Runa

New in Town
I'm sure you've all seen this video, but it's by far the best and most authentic 1930s makeup video i've seen on the net: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8usi3ovetY

Now for the crease, I would wet an angled brush first to create the heavier line. Twiggy used this technique!

For the brows, my advice is to look at your bottom lash line and follow the natural direction it goes.. your eyebrows should extend to meet up with that imaginary line. If you look at Gretas, her bottom lash line points right to where her eyebrow extends to. (did that make sense haha!) The video shows it extended further, that was a more common look. Gretas brows are not as dramatic as in the video.

Greta's crease line extends down to the same level as the corner of her eye. Her eyeliner goes parallel with the crease line, but extends a bit lower. And the "triangle" just goes straight across to meet up with the lowest point of the bottom lash line.

For the lips, take a close look at how and where she places the marks in the video.. The lips are a make-or-break-it part of a vintage look, if you ask me.. Sure you could just put red lipstick on but Gretas is definitely not just simply traced. In the video, notice the similarity of where the first lipliner "mark" is placed. The next ones are placed juuuust past the fullest part of the lip. Gretas lower lips are drawn on just a wee bit outside her natural line.

Antje

One Too Many
For the superpale complexion I really suggest, a primer, foundation and a settingpowder.
and you don't need to go for the vaseline option. maybe use some shimering eyeshadow instead

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner