Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grey fedora with this jacket?

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
I have a clone of yachtsilverswan's coat, but mine's from Jos. A. Bank. It is available in short, regular, long, and extra long. Be aware that the longer coat will have longer sleeves, as well as a longer hemline. With cuffed sleeves, alteration is a bit problematic.
6041e.jpg

Historically, this is known as a 'polo coat.' I wear it all the time, in the city and in the country?¢‚Ǩ‚Äùalways with a fedora. I don't feel the least 'in costume,' but then I must admit I am a bit of an exhibitionist about my dress.

Here's the good news: Jos. A. Bank is presently selling these at half price! Click Here. You'll also find a link to a more conservative, single-breasted model that's also selling at half price.

Regards,

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Wolfmanjack said:
I have a clone of yachtsilverswan's coat, but mine's from Jos. A. Bank. It is available in short, regular, long, and extra long. Be aware that the longer coat will have longer sleeves, as well as a longer hemline. With cuffed sleeves, alteration is a bit problematic.
6041e.jpg

Historically, this is known as a 'polo coat.' I wear it all the time, in the city and in the country?¢‚Ǩ‚Äùalways with a fedora. I don't feel the least 'in costume,' but then I must admit I am a bit of an exhibitionist about my dress.

Here's the good news: Jos. A. Bank is presently selling these at half price! Click Here. You'll also find a link to a more conservative, single-breasted model that's also selling at half price.

Regards,

Wow, that's a lovely coat. I've had my eye out for something like this for a long time.

Do you think that this coat coupled with a nice fedora would be a good '30s vintage look?

What's the workmanship like on these coats? Are they heavy?

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
vespasian said:
I went for the slightly shorter jacket as I dont want to look in costume, rather a modern look bringing the fedora fifty years forward rather than turning the coat fifty years back. I do really like the long coat look but I think in the UK it would just look too costume. The brim of the grey fedora/trilby I have already changed to 2" so its a bit more stingy looking.

Vespasian,

Good thinking. A 2-in. brim fedora and a shorter topcoat will produce the 'modern' look you're after. 'Modern' being Circa 1960. I'm old enough to remember this combo being very popular in the US at that time.

Regards,

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Mr. 'H' said:
Wow, that's a lovely coat. I've had my eye out for something like this for a long time.

Do you think that this coat coupled with a nice fedora would be a good '30s vintage look?
Mr. H.,
It works for me. Since the coat makes a strong statement, you need a dramatic (i.e., wider-brimmed) hat to coordinate with it. It's a bit tricky getting the right color of the fedora. The lighter browns are good for business. Dark mustard and olive work well for sports/'country. The greys are especially tricky. The darker greys can look too dark and the lighter greys (e.g., Stetson silverbelly) can look a little 'pink.'

Nevertheless, the coat is very versatile, I even wear it with my tux. Please excuse the goofy pose.
JMSasHolden.jpg

Mr. 'H' said:
What's the workmanship like on these coats? Are they heavy?
Mr. H.,
Excellent quality: Careful workmanship, fully-lined, 100% camel hair. It's very warm, yet light weight. It is light weight in the sense that it is not a thick, bulky fabric; and it is light weight in the sense that it is not heavy on your shoulders.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner