Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Growing Hole in my Akubra Snowy River

Chewing Wax

New in Town
Hi.

I've had the hat for about 15 years and wear it almost exclusively in the rain.

There's a small hole on the top front of the hat where the front point forms. I noticed it about a year ago when it was tiny. I don't put any stress on it so I don't know what started it and why it's getting bigger. Anyhow, is this something worth fixing? Right now the hole is still so small the rain isn't getting in. I'm considering it a part of the hat's patina. Is this common for felt hats?

Thanks for any input.

CW

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Hi Wax, Welcome to the Lounge
This is common only when using the pinch to remove your hat instead of the brim. There are exceptions but that's the normal reason. Also, over time with some felts the crease itself creates a weak spot and begins to deteriorate on it's own.
If you want to continue use of the hat just apply some cloth backed tape ( medical works) to the inside & keep going. If it's 15 yrs old maybe it's time to retire it. As hats go they are relatively inexpensive & easily replaced. I wouldn't expect this to happen to a higher grade hat though.

Chewing Wax

New in Town
Thanks for that. I don't believe I use the point to remove the hat. I don't think I ever touch it. I will try the cloth tape. Besides the hole, the hat is in amazing shape. The felt has faded in color a bit, but I still love it so I'm going to try and wear it forever.

CW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace