Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guayabera shirts

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I do on occasion wear linen guayaberas when I am in South Florida and the islands. I wear them with linen trousers and espadrilles or sandals, topped off with a panama hat.

I would highly recommend Ramon Puig of Miami for his custom made guayaberas, his work is sublime and he is something of a legend. From Calle Ocho to the Dominican Republic, complete strangers have introduced themselves, just to tell me that they recognised Ramon's work.

http://3guysfrommiami.com/guayabera.html

RedPop4

One Too Many
spiridon said:
I have half a dozen or so in a variety of colors......it is the "Costume de Riguer" along the Gulf Coast in the Summer months.:D

Spiridon turned me onto Blair (www.blair.com) they have a nice blend called TropiCool that sell for $19.95. They come in some very nice, bright colors, they're cool, comfortable and look really good.

They're also the vesture of choice for most of us who gather to smoke cigars as it's the preferred choice of those who grow tobacco and manufacture the cigars we enjoy, so it's our paean to them. A Panama hat goes especially well with a Guayabera, too.

The other factor is that while most of us in the U.S. find these casual, they are absolutely formal wear anywhere south of the Rio Grande, as they're designed for weddings.

REDKNIGHT1775

New in Town
I love my guayabera shirts; I don’t know how I would make it in the South Texas heat with out them. I have a good collection of different colors and embroidery styles. I think I will keep buying more for some time to time. I checked out the Blair.com sight, will be ordering some from there soon.

warbird

One Too Many
In the summer about all I wear is silk camp style shirts and guayaberras. I need more, now that I think about it.

They are very comfortable. In the summer I hate fabrics which fit too tightly, I want loose and flowing.

ortega76

Practically Family
I have an old turquoise one that I wear in warmer weather. Shh, don't tell my wife but I think I am getting this one for Father's Day. I have a penchant for Sugar Skulls (I have a tattoo of one lined up) so the image on the back is very cool to me.

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
Depending on who still would like to buy one, a store called Steve & Barry's stocks these in white. They call them wedding shirts. I happened to be perusing through their summer selection and when I found them for $7.89 each I grabbed up two! I'm tossing on on tonight with a nice pair of khakis and hittin' the patio with a nice cigar accompanied by music courtesy of the Duke.

Happy Memorial Day all!!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
A guayabera JACKET from the 1950s:

mayauctionphotosmore003.jpg
mayauctionphotosmore001.jpg

mayauctionphotosmore007.jpg

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
I started looking them up and they are indeed hispanic, primarily Mexican, wedding shirts. Pretty nifty. They are fetching a high price depending on who you choose to buy from. One such site had a line of them made with Irish linen and they were asking $125 American for them! Hold on to what ya have Marc!!

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
I have a few I picked up when I was in Mexico this past winter. I have a white one, a black one, and a light blue one. Paired with some nice trousers they're perfect for a "dressy without being dressy" summer night out.

Rosie

One Too Many
This is off topic

I was just reading a book, one of the characters was wearing a guaybera, I didn't know what it was, came on line to check it out but of course had to drop by the Lounge first and here is a whole thread with pictures and everything. Thanks guys! :)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I just saw that Lands' End has them on sale. I've always liked their quality. I'd get one of these shirts for my father, since his shirts always end up untucked anyway, but I'm afraid it isn't really his style.

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
I have a vintage blue one. Not sure if I have any pics wearing it though. I found it in a second hand store for about 10 bucks. It has some very fancy lace trimming and a small cigar pocket!!

Chad

griffer

Practically Family
Wedding shirts for...A WEDDING?!?!?

BUMP!

Mexican wedding shirts, not just for fat hipsters, now actually for weddings!

I need to outfit my buddy and his groom's men in matching guayaberas. When I say matching, I mean same pattern and stitching, but photo negative. His will be black with white accents; ours will be hite with black accents. Summer wedding.

I am looking at Penner's, but I wanted to hear if there was any more intel on this topic.

Love the sugar skull guayabera.

(Long time fan of the guayabera, but all mine have been gifts excet the first one I bought at a mexican grocer in Houston.)

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Irish Linen Guayaberas

I have one from myCubanstore.com in the short sleeve. When you sign up they keep you abreast of deals.

Don't bother about other materials - just go irish linen - once they are washed and rewashed they are real soft. They are not that hard to iron either with a spray of H2O.

It is real hot this year Down Under and mine leaves me real cool!

Now if only we could get myCubanstore or Puig or start making the lin cien 100 drill Cuban linen suits.

A few extra Mojitos this summer and awwwaaayy weee goooo!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner