Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guidance in buying my first Fedora for winter

tealseal

A-List Customer
A low crown, with a brim as big as Indy's, would be a bit of a trick.
Personally, I'd take a serious look at the Akubra Sydney or the Akubra Stylemaster or the Akubra Fedora. These will have either customizable or shorter crowns, with a brim width of 2.5". Any bigger brim with a short crown may look wrong proportionally, for a fedora style hat.

Unless you're absolutely convinced that what will fit you best is a short crown, go for the Fed IV from Hats Direct. It's awesome; I love it. Mine is Imperial (cheaper) grade and it's been hiked in in 110F, soaked by Canadian blizzards and Arizona monsoons and never soaked through, and been run over by a bicycle (my fault; I was the one that ran it over). Maybe it's a gimmick, but Akubra says all their felts are rated to UPF50 sun protection, which (gimmick or not) is why my Fed is my outdoor hat now. Despite all the abuse, my Fed has a great shape, no shrinking or taper, and it's now super soft. I'm sure many Akubra's will exhibit the same durability.

Both David Morgan and Hats Direct have strong reputations here on the Lounge. I have experience with HD but not DM; they're a pleasure. My hat arrived in Ontario from Australia in 10 days!

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I bought a Moon Grey Akubra Stylemaster from Hatsdirect. I love it. In fact, I can hardly wait for fall to come so I can start wearing it again. If I can swing it, I'll get one in their Acorn Fawn around November/December. Super hats. Probably the best factory hat on the market.

June3rd.jpg

carldelo

One Too Many
I can't believe I did this earlier - I mentioned having a modern Strat in gray with a gray ribbon - however, what I meant to say was I have a modern Whippet in Caribou gray with a gray ribbon. However, I think both would work well, with the Whippet being more of a dress/city hat than the Strat. Oldsarge, that Stylemaster is looking good too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass