Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Had lunch out at............

That applies here and with so many other things that were once great until someone thought it could be better. Many classic movies come to mind.
Oh, don't get me started. :D

Sticking with fast food chains for the moment, McDonald's (at least here in southern California) started going downhill the moment they decided to change the way they prepared their food to make it "healthier"; they never served the best food in town, but now they serve the worst. Then they decided they wanted to become a coffee shop, then an ice cream parlor, and now they've installed self-serve kiosks so customers can walk in, place their order, and pay, without talking to a single employee. What's next, we get to cook the food ourselves? :mad:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
8004.ngsversion.1467254465914.adapt.1900.1.jpg

The last time I was in an automat was as a child in the late 1960s in midtown Manhattan.

I had a cheese sandwich that contained 7, yes seven, slices of American cheese.
During my lunch break at work years ago I went to a very conveniently located "breakfast and lunch" restaurant where I'd eaten a number of times and ordered a "double bacon cheeseburger". Now, everywhere else in the English-speaking world that would be a cheeseburger with two burger patties, two slices of cheese, and two or three pieces of bacon. What I got that day was a regular cheeseburger with an absurd amount of bacon on it. o_O

During my lunch break at work years ago I went to a very conveniently located "breakfast and lunch" restaurant where I'd eaten a number of times and ordered a "double bacon cheeseburger". Now, everywhere else in the English-speaking world that would be a cheeseburger with two burger patties, two slices of cheese, and two or three pieces of bacon. What I got that day was a regular cheeseburger with an absurd amount of bacon on it. o_O

Sure, your terminology was spot on and, sure, not what you ordered - very frustrating, but Touch of Evil and I can think of worse things in the world than a single patty with cheese and a pile of bacon. :)

Just noticed this - I assume (Lizzie?) that people shared tables with strangers at automats (my only experience was at the last one in NYC in the late '80s when there were always too many tables for the limited number of customers, so you had no issue getting one for yourself - and letting the many homeless guys have theirs to themselves) - of the four guys sitting at one table in the lower right, three appear to have on suits and ties and one is very casually dressed with just an open-collar shirt, sleeves rolled up and, probably, chinos (?). My guess, they didn't come together.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I imagine you took a seat wherever you could find one -- the place where I get breakfast is kind of like that in that there's only a limited number of chairs, and when the tourists show up, you have to scootch in wherever there's one open, regardless of whether other people are at the table.

Sleeves-up Guy is probably a distribution rep for the Daily Worker, getting the riot act from some of Browder's staff about the need to present a more professional image on the job. (The skinny guy in the dark suit even looks a bit like Clarence Hathaway.) "At least I didn't wear the leather jacket," he argues back.

Sure, your terminology was spot on and, sure, not what you ordered - very frustrating, but Touch of Evil and I can think of worse things in the world than a single patty with cheese and a pile of bacon. :)
“Absurd amount of Bacon” sounds like almost enough Bacon to me. I’ ll have a double order of an absurd amount of Bacon with an an absurd side of Bacon.
:D

Oh, I love bacon, so my only real complaint was that, as F.F. noted, it wasn't what I ordered. And this place had been in business long enough for everyone working there to know what a double bacon cheeseburger is. I was a semi-regular, so my best guess is that the cooks were just screwing with me that day. On the other hand, it was owned and operated by a nice but somewhat odd Armenian family and "double bacon cheeseburger" wasn't part of their regular menu, so...who knows?

Pork sausage wrapped with Bacon sounds like a nice treat. :D
My wife used to make something similar. Take a package of hot dogs (pork sausage would probably work just as well, maybe better), slice half-way through the dogs length-wise, fill 'em with Asiago cheese, wrap them in bacon using toothpicks to hold the bacon in place, stick 'em in the broiler oven until they're nice and brown, then serve 'em with your favorite side dish. Dee-lish!!!

Last edited:

31 Model A

A-List Customer
Times up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dale Mulder opened up a Lansing, Michigan, A&W franchise in 1961.Mulder added to his menu in 1963 the bacon cheeseburger after a customer made repeated orders for bacon to be added to his cheeseburger. Thus A&W is credited with inventing the bacon cheeseburger. I remember it well when I first saw it offered on the menu. I remember it well when I first saw it on the A&W menue

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112