Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Had lunch out at............

One hope I have for immedite ascension is that I have dealt with the public for a large part of my working life. Purgatory is already marked off my list.

Having worked with the public for four years in college (mainly sales in a department store), I made it a mission to never work with the public directly again. Despite some very good offers over the years to advance my career and compensation by working with the pubic, I avoided any role which required such interaction - it has made my life meaningfully better.

I consider myself fortunate that the only job I've had so far where I had to "work with the public" was when I sold tires for a Goodyear retailer. Tires are a rather specific need, and they're something most people don't think about until they have a flat tire or need to replace them. As such, many of them weren't happy about the usually unexpected expense, and explaining why this more expensive tire would be a better choice for them than the less expensive tire that they want to buy more often than not fell on deaf ears. Just so there are no misunderstandings, I never once "upsold" tires to anyone who didn't need them, and for a lot of people the less expensive tires met their needs. But trying to explain to some people why the smaller (and less expensive) tires suited for a sub-compact car won't fit on their two-ton 1983 Cadillac Coupe DeVille land yacht can be frustrating.

31 Model A

A-List Customer
Cheeseburger Cheeseburger Cheeseburger!!!!!!!!!!!!! The power of suggestion this thread has become, compelled me to grill a burger today with cheese and three slices of bacon. That was the first Cheeseburger I've had over 50/60 years. Yesterday I had a blizzard at DQ in my home town that as a boy was A&W. I sat in the car and ate the blizzard while my mind wandered back many many years sitting in the backseat with my siblings having a root beer and a small cheeseburger with bacon in the very same spot. That didn't happen very often when I was a kid here in the mid-West. My parents just couldn't afford it. It was a nostalgic day ………..:)

Cheeseburger Cheeseburger Cheeseburger!!!!!!!!!!!!! The power of suggestion this thread has become, compelled me to grill a burger today with cheese and three slices of bacon. That was the first Cheeseburger I've had over 50/60 years. Yesterday I had a blizzard at DQ in my home town that as a boy was A&W. I sat in the car and ate the blizzard while my mind wandered back many many years sitting in the backseat with my siblings having a root beer and a small cheeseburger with bacon in the very same spot. That didn't happen very often when I was a kid here in the mid-West. My parents just couldn't afford it. It was a nostalgic day ………..:)

Fun story. How did you like your fist bacon cheeseburger in 50 or so years?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk