Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair colour advice

kerry

One of the Regulars
I got sidetracked and left my hair colourant on for 10 minutes over the stated time for retouch treatment. I havent dried it yet but does anyone know if I would have really wrecked my hair? Ive just had about 3 inches cut of and dye it with a permanant colour about every six weeks. It felt a bit dry before I conditioned it.
Im worried its going to eventually all break off:(

Sorry , I should have put this in beauty accidents.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As I recall you have brunette hair. It shouldn't cause it to break off, but I advise using the entire leftover tube of conditioner included with the hair coloring kit on the part that you over-colored only. This will deep condition it and remove some of the colorant. Deep condition the over-colored parts every time you wash your hair for a week, then your usual schedule thereafter. Don't deep condition the new coloring at the roots as this will remove the good color. I hope this helps.
Ash

kerry

One of the Regulars
Thanks Ash, I will follow your advice. My hair is red and I lift it about two shades which is why I was so worried. It seems fine but I will treat it with TLC for a good while. Thanks x

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You're welcome. Now I have no idea why I though you were brunette, :eek: maybe wishful thinking as that color doesn't need as much TLC as red does.
My hairdresser gets mad at me if I retouch any part of my red hair except the roots to blend the gray hair, as my ends get dry enough as it is and my hair is already red. She recommends the John Frieda luminous glaze for red hair that's left on for 3 minutes after shampoo and conditioning. It's available in England. This works great and brightens the ends without dyeing.

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
I've done that before and I just make sure I condition and avoid things like the blow dryer and curling irons for a little while.

kerry

One of the Regulars
Thanks ladies, Im definately going to try the John Freida stuff as I want to leave it as long as possible before colouring it again and try to just wet set it for a good few months...no heated rollers:)

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
kerry said:
Thanks ladies, Im definately going to try the John Freida stuff as I want to leave it as long as possible before colouring it again and try to just wet set it for a good few months...no heated rollers:)
Also if you swim,get your hair wet before you get in the water and dab in some leave in conditioner.
My hair lady tells me this will stop your hair from absorbing much of the chlorinated water. And that helps your color last longer and helps keep your hair from getting wrecked.
It seems to work for me.

sweatyspaghetti

Familiar Face
HAIRCOLOR,absolutley lost.

Hi ladies. I need advice here on hair color. My natural hair color is a medium brown with red in it. But a few months back,i started colouring my hair a dark red,but it soon faded and turned burgundy- i used L'Oreal Color Pulse in Red Pulse.

I am soon considering going a very light blonde. I want to get to a salon as soon as possible,but in my area, all the hair dressers are a little un-proffesional.

So,can anyone reccomend me good salons between the areas of Riverside and San Diego?? Or any brands of hair bleach that could be safe with scalps and people who are very sensitive??(i know im stupid,but it doesn't hurt to try:p )

anabolina

A-List Customer
kerry said:

I second the John Frieda red hair glaze. It is awesome and really intensifies red hair slightly and gives a nice shine. I'm sure your hair will be fine with a little tlc. :)

Hey sweatyspaghetti I don't know anything about your area, but you might want to try to google 'hair salon' in Yahoo Local, I think people can post reviews, I know I do. Yes, I would definitely hesitate to go from dyed red hair to light blonde at home. You may end up with a headfull of fried hair. That said, the clerks at Sally's should know of a sensitive scalp bleach. I know when I was getting rid of my medium red hair (I do kinda miss it some days) the salon used high lights and low lights to lift it to my natural color. It looked awesome for several weeks before becoming brassy :( As they say, red is hard to get rid of. Now, every month I try to use some semi-perm ash-blonde hair dye on the once-red bits and for a couple of weeks, my hair looks awesome before the brass comes though.Come to think of it, I am due for another go... Good luck!!!

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
kerry said:
I got sidetracked and left my hair colourant on for 10 minutes over the stated time for retouch treatment. I havent dried it yet but does anyone know if I would have really wrecked my hair? Ive just had about 3 inches cut of and dye it with a permanant colour about every six weeks. It felt a bit dry before I conditioned it.
Im worried its going to eventually all break off:(

Sorry , I should have put this in beauty accidents.

It may only feel a little drier - so yes, give it some conditioning and if its really dry, then sacrifice the length in a month!

The only time to really panic is when your hair gets that "jelly" feeling and starts to fall out!

If your really worried, give it a protein treatment to strengthen the hair, but beware of overusing it as it will make your hair brittle and snap. Also be aware that if you use a protein treatment, your hair will feel dry and yucky afterward - this is quite normal.

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Southern California salons

What a small world....I live in San Diego and I went to school up in Riverside.

Anyhoo, on topic

The Electric Chair in Ocean Beach SD- They do really nice work. It's very funky and ecclectic if atmosphere matters to you in a salon. www.electricchairsalon.com/

There is a retro type salon in Hillcrest (also SD) that specializes in rockabilly/retro hairstyles. I've never been personally but I plan to.
http://planethairbeyond.com/index.htm

Hope those help. Sorry they are limited to San Diego. I'm kinda sheltered hair-wise. :eek:

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
I have a question about dying hair.

I am a natural goldenish/mousy blond, but I've been dying my hair for a couple of years, first semi-perm. brown, then semi-perm. black. I'm starting to get antsy for another colour- do I have any options at all?

Growing it out is not an option - I have shoulder length hair - and neither is hacking it off to a crop, with my long face and not-exactly-feminine features. I know you can buy those home colour remover kits, but when I emailed the maker he told me that my hair might need three applications, which would damage it, then I'd need to re-dye, in which case I might as well pay for a salon visit. However, I am on a budget, as though my prospects couldn't get any worse!

What would happen if I were to bleach it?

Does anyone have any advice?

Antje

One Too Many
Your hair would probably turn out some kind of yellowish rusty kinda shade if you bleach it from black or brown.
What colour would you desire, maybe you could ask for a lighter shade of brown and then ad a lot of highlights to it, so the overal look will be a lot
lighter.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
What you are trying to do is called corrective color. It really is best done in a salon. Home color remover kits are not much different from bleach. There is no way to get back to your natural color without doing MAJOR damage. Are you just tired of the black or do you want a specific color? When I've done something similar (perm, then semi, then perm), I've gotten highlights to break up the color. This does less damage and will give you a new color. Another option is to do a temporary rinse (like Jazzin' or Roux Fanci-ful) that lasts a week, only on the new growth until it grows out. This would also require a trim once a month to cut off the old color.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Yes, I do think I've got no other option but to go to a hairdresser. I have a lovely lady who comes to my house and charges me absolute peanuts, so I'd really rather have her do it than spend a fortune in a salon, but I think she'd probably be too scared to go anywhere near my hair with bleach!

Well, I suppose ideally I'd like to try being blonde again, but I'm also tempted to go for a fiery red- do you think this would be less troublesome to do, given that my hair probably would go an orangey colour with bleach?

RockyHorror

One of the Regulars
if there's a hair school in your area i would suggest looking into that, I just got my hair bleached twice and toned for 30$, plus they generally know what they're doing and are supervised.

zombi

A-List Customer
Speaking as a natural blonde who has bleached years' worth of home-done blue-black out of her hair, I have to say, it is possible. I did mine myself and while I didn't lose my hair, it was in horrible condition and required major restorative care. It was very brittle and broke easily, it was hard to work with, difficult to wash because of the straw-like changes in the hair texture, and hard to style. I honestly point to henna dye as the saviour of my hair's condition at that point, and it is NOT for everyone (it's not removable via bleach and is red).

I strongly suggest you see a hairdresser to have more hope of better hair condition when you're done. In the meantime you might try doing dilute vinegar rinses after you wash because the acid might help pull out some colour, and it won't hurt your hair (actually it's very good for it).

GoddessMama

One of the Regulars
As a gal who has many of hair disasters, I will advise if you are going more than a couple shades different get thee to a salon. I do my own almost platinum, but it has been a lot of trail and error and orange hair. LOL. I'm only going from dishwater blond to platinum too, so its an easier switch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy