Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero leather Hooch Hauler Sizing Advice

Edward

Bartender
Be careful if you're looking at Thruston ordered Aeros as distinct from Aero direct sales; unless they've changed recently, Thurston I believe order all their stock jackets 1" longer in the back than Aero normally do them.

matchankh

One of the Regulars
Be careful if you're looking at Thruston ordered Aeros as distinct from Aero direct sales; unless they've changed recently, Thurston I believe order all their stock jackets 1" longer in the back than Aero normally do them.

Thanks for the reminder! Im ordering directly from aero with a custom length so should be fine on this matter

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
5'11 model. Im not too sure their meaning of this.

I'm 5'11. I wear my halfbelts with a blacklenght between 22" and 25". 26 would definitely be too long for the style.

CE3F9569-4D5E-459B-8C4C-B09E4AABEB1F.jpeg

23.75 - 24 - 25

55FA23BF-8A30-4085-A6F1-157F8B891894.jpeg

matchankh

One of the Regulars
I'm 5'11. I wear my halfbelts with a blacklenght between 22" and 25". 26 would definitely be too long for the style.

View attachment 357273

23.75 - 24 - 25

View attachment 357272

The crazy thing is all of them look good on you!Makes me wanna go shorter.

also the backs of the jackets are all so smooth. They really fit perfectly on you. Can you share some sizing technique?
Do you go by the raw chest +2"~3" way?

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here

View attachment 357273

23.75 - 24 - 25

View attachment 357272

I have found for myself that the back length can vary without problems, as long as the front length remains the same. A back length of 65 cm + 4 cm front drop works just as well as 68 cm + 1 cm front drop. Only when it becomes short in the front, I don't like it at all.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Can you share some sizing technique?
Do you go by the raw chest +2"~3" way?
I wear my jackets relatively snug. I have a 43" chest and wear my jackets with a ptp between 22 and 23.5. Second most important measurement for me is the bottom hem width. I've got no hips (low rise jeans size 30). I aim for a bottom hem width between 19 and 20".

A back length of 65 cm + 4 cm front drop works just as well as 68 cm + 1 cm front drop.
Good addition. Shorter back length needs more front drop. That 22" grey bird of prey has a 3" front drop.

0F92D4C3-7903-4A84-BA5B-D5D51E841AEA.jpeg

MrProper

I wear my jackets relatively snug. I have a 43" chest and wear my jackets with a ptp between 22 and 23.5. Second most important measurement for me is the bottom hem width. I've got no hips (low rise jeans size 30). I aim for a bottom hem width between 19 and 20".

Good addition. Shorter back length needs more front drop. That 22" grey bird of prey has a 3" front drop.

View attachment 357434

Funny. Almost the same dimensions as mine. Only that mine are distributed over more length.
Optimal is 19" hem, 23" - 23.5" p2p and 19.5" shoulder. Length + front drop 27" (68-69 cm).
This is then a tight fit T-shirt fit.

matchankh

One of the Regulars
Funny. Almost the same dimensions as mine. Only that mine are distributed over more length.
Optimal is 19" hem, 23" - 23.5" p2p and 19.5" shoulder. Length + front drop 27" (68-69 cm).
This is then a tight fit T-shirt fit.

so a 4" + raw chest measurement is the maximum you would consider to achieve a trim fit?

matchankh

One of the Regulars
I won’t go to short with the Hooch Hauler otherwise it may look boxy.
For reference I’m 5’8, 156lbs (173cm, 71kg).
I ordered a size 40, back length 25, sleeves 23.5. Got a jacket with a back length of 24.5. In my opinion there is no front drop. View attachment 357476 View attachment 357477 View attachment 357478 View attachment 357479 View attachment 357480 View attachment 357481 View attachment 357482 View attachment 357483 View attachment 357476 View attachment 357477 View attachment 357478 View attachment 357479 View attachment 357480 View attachment 357481 View attachment 357482 View attachment 357483

Nice! we have quite similar measurements.
what's your raw chest measurement?

Yea I noticed there is no front drop.No you wear low rise/slim trousers? I like my jeans mid/raise so maybe I will have the jacket a little shorter than yours. maybe a 24. but you are right I don't want to over alter the jacket to make it square/boxy.

MrProper

so a 4" + raw chest measurement is the maximum you would consider to achieve a trim fit?
I would say yes.
But that's just my personal preference. I can well imagine that it is too tight for many.
And then, of course, it depends on the lining. I always have heavy cotton drill in my jackets. With a much thicker lining I would probably add 1 cm.

hjv2

Familiar Face
I'm in the process of ordering a Hooch Hauler myself so I thought I chime in. I fall into that magical 5'11" category (182cm precise) and I'm targeting 26" length. If not including pea coats and parkas all my jackets are relative short so I want something a bit longer this time. As Marc demonstrated a half belt can work in various lengths. I would advise measuring the back length of one your existing jackets and wearing it with the trousers you're going to wear the Hoochie with. Then try to pin point / estimate from that at what height you want the new jacket to end. For me that area is below the belt line but above the back pockets. But as others have noted the Hooch Hauler has a very minimal front drop if any so I would also consider the front length at least that much that my belt stays hidden.

Olly from Blow Out the Cobwebs nails the fit for me and that's a loan stock jacket from Aero!

54247604_268438980789253_1412808949889356255_n.jpg

matchankh

One of the Regulars
I'm in the process of ordering a Hooch Hauler myself so I thought I chime in. I fall into that magical 5'11" category (182cm precise) and I'm targeting 26" length. If not including pea coats and parkas all my jackets are relative short so I want something a bit longer this time. As Marc demonstrated a half belt can work in various lengths. I would advise measuring the back length of one your existing jackets and wearing it with the trousers you're going to wear the Hoochie with. Then try to pin point / estimate from that at what height you want the new jacket to end. For me that area is below the belt line but above the back pockets. But as others have noted the Hooch Hauler has a very minimal front drop if any so I would also consider the front length at least that much that my belt stays hidden.

Olly from Blow Out the Cobwebs nails the fit for me and that's a loan stock jacket from Aero!

View attachment 358107

Besides length how are you appraoching sizing? 2-3" + raw chest?

hjv2

Familiar Face
Besides length how are you appraoching sizing? 2-3" + raw chest?

This won't be my first leather jacket so I have already formed an idea of measurement range that works for me. I'm going for CXL which is thicker leather and seeking a roomier fit. I have a 41" chest. A 40 would be too tight in the chest and hem so I'm getting a 42. I don't have personal experience but I have read Aero's Badalassi stretches or relaxes a bit more than horsehide so you can go a bit tighter fit it.

matchankh

One of the Regulars
This won't be my first leather jacket so I have already formed an idea of measurement range that works for me. I'm going for CXL which is thicker leather and seeking a roomier fit. I have a 41" chest. A 40 would be too tight in the chest and hem so I'm getting a 42. I don't have personal experience but I have read Aero's Badalassi stretches or relaxes a bit more than horsehide so you can go a bit tighter fit it.

Nice. I have a 40" chest so going with a size 40. Should be a trim fit from the start with badalassi and maybe it will stretch out a bit

Xysterz

New in Town
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this had a lot of great info. I'm looking at the HH (and trying to decide between this and the STF Bootlegger), and had.a question. Does the back pattern of the HH allow for some extra range of motion, kind of like bi-swing back panels? It looked like there is an extra leather fold in the middle. I want the jacket to be somewhat fitted but with decent mobility so it's easy to wear.

Last edited:

hjv2

Familiar Face
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this had a lot of great info. I'm looking at the HH (and trying to decide between this and the STF Bootlegger), and had.a question. Does the back pattern of the HH allow for some extra range of motion, kind of like bi-swing back panels? It looked like there is an extra leather fold in the middle. I want the jacket to be somewhat fitted but with decent mobility so it's easy to wear.

No, the back design is only decorative. It's plain single piece back with additional layers on top. However I think the Hooch Hauler pattern has a really good mobility as is with wide shoulders and high arm holes. Even better if you choose a flexible hide like goat or cow.

I have no experience in STF Bootlegger so can't comment on that how it differs from the Hooch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21