Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

Jerekson

One Too Many
It's not necessarily 'period accurate', but I think it cuts the bill as a vintage-style haircut.

This is what I have had for the past year or so...easily the best haircut I've ever had and I plan on keeping it for as long as my head permits me to. :rolleyes:

The Indiana Jones haircut:
078.jpg

Medium length all-around and parted on the left.

What's cool about this haircut is that it can either be styled as above (my favorite) or I can do it like this:
PDVD_019.png

This is obviously more 30's looking than the other. I like, and wear, both.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Captian, sometimes the cut may vary and look different from the shape of your head. The photo you posted shows a guy with what I would say has a rather long head. I mean, look at the space from the top of the ear to the top of his head~ and he has a high forhead. Not all guys have this much space. His also seems quite blended to me.

My best advice is to keep looking for the perfect photo to take to your stylist, but also keep in mind your hairline and head shape.

If you hair is thick and you need it to be not so blended on the sides, yet it still looks mushroomy when left long, many times I will just take the bulk out some in that area, yet leave the length. Hope that makes sense! Texture shears and a razor do wonders!

Some hair types just cannot go from say, a number 3 to long because of the texture. You may need and actual barber or a stylist that really knows how to taper without clippers.

Nikki

VictorAtomic

Familiar Face
There is nothing like going to a Barber who knows how to cut! Its been a few years since Ive been to a barber since I have a friend who works at Super Cuts and only charges me $5 for a cut but ... I cheated on her the other day and visited a local shop just on a whim. Got my hair cut by a lady who did a excellent job on the sides ( nothing from the top ) and the best part was having the back razor shaved!!! It just makes you feel soo clean and sharp.

I will def. be back and also to see if she can manage the part up on top with the next visit.

-Victor

Barry

Practically Family
I went to the barbershop today and and asked for a medium pompadour, part on the left, tapered in the back and pointed sideburns. I'm quite happy with the results - I'll get a photo up tomorrow when I have some better lighting. It came out something like #33 in this thread (the nice guy haircut).

Barber

My friend Morgan prefers a flat top buzz and has been going to Andy's for years.
This February Andy's sold to one of the barbers and is now Sweeny Todd's.
I asked him where it was.
It reminded me of the first barbershop I'd been to as a youth.
I pointed to a vintage barber chart and product advertisment card (the black, gold
& red one in background), haltingly stammered something about "pre-war"
and was happy with what he called a "Banker's Cut".
Self portrait to follow later. Todd is a more cheerfull fellow than pictured
here with razor, this day the A/C was out AND his awning had
just been vandalized with street gang placa spray paint.
I may just become a regular customer.

Todd-of-Sweeny-Todd.jpg

Sweeny Todd's
4639 Hollywood Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90027 (323) 667-9690

Riley Dee

One of the Regulars
Fedora Lounge inspired haircut.

After lurking on The Fedora Lounge for months and finally joining up I was inspired to take the vintage haircut plunge. Here is my attempt at a Golden Era-ish haircut which replaces a longer messier look. I'm not real certain what part of the Golden Era I am emulating, just went for clean and classic.

DSCF0079.jpg
DSCF0061.jpg

DSCF0064.jpg
DSCF0075.jpg

I have been experimenting with Murray's super light pomade and have learned a little goes a loooong way.lol

Valhson

One of the Regulars
Riley Dee said:
After lurking on The Fedora Lounge for months and finally joining up I was inspired to take the vintage haircut plunge. Here is my attempt at a Golden Era-ish haircut which replaces a longer messier look. I'm not real certain what part of the Golden Era I am emulating, just went for clean and classic.

*photos clipped*

I have been experimenting with Murray's super light pomade and have learned a little goes a loooong way.lol

I think that is a great look! I wish I could get my hair to do the like.

Riley Dee

One of the Regulars
Hey thanks guys!

Scotrace and Valhson,

I appreciate the comments, as the haircut was inspired by the posts here, compliments coming from Fedora Loungers, is high praise indeed!

My new barber is really neat. I really like him and his shop. He bought the shop from his boss about ten years ago and is young by barbering standards at about 50 years old. The shop has checked tile floors, hunting pictures, and great barber chairs that are all decades old. It was really a much better experience than going to a trendy and/or cut rate (pun intended) hair salon.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Riley Dee said:

That's definitely a classic look.... You got the perfect hair for it, very sharp. After sporting a rockabilly type pompadour for a few years, I opted for the same type of cut when I changed jobs a few months ago....
But unfortunately the barber I found ended up retiring shortly after my 1st visit and I have slowly grown back the pomp, which sometimes I think is a little extreme for my workplace. Good to see another Okie on here, I hail from Tulsa myself.

... And your right about the Murrays super lite... a little goes a long ways, myself I use alot to keep the sides slicked tight and real shiny,here's my pomp featuring Murray's Superlite......Pardon the cheezy grin.
picture11hf0.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
Riley Dee, Your barber NAILED that haircut! It looks great!
Sound's like you found a really classic barbershop as well. There aren't many of those left in Dallas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats