Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

Jerekson

One Too Many
habberdasher said:
What does a hair brush for men do?

In my experience, brushes have a little more give than combs do. Brushes can be used to more easily achieve lift and volume, if one so desires. Also, brushes used lightly on top can straighten out tangled patches of hair, without being required to re-set everything as is often the case with combs.

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Jerekson said:
In my experience, brushes have a little more give than combs do. Brushes can be used to more easily achieve lift and volume, if one so desires. Also, brushes used lightly on top can straighten out tangled patches of hair, without being required to re-set everything as is often the case with combs.

Oh, OK. Might get me-self one of those!lol

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
habberdasher said:
Pretty strange usage. Why are they expensive?

Strange?

Brushes aren't expensive. Just like anything, there's a range of prices. There are cheap ones and expensive ones. Depending on what you buy, prices run from the $6.50 neighborhood up.

Schofields

Familiar Face
habberdasher said:
You wash your hair once a month?! I put a towel over my pillow to keep the goop off it. Although when I looked up "Dapper Man" it had a very 30s art deco packaging and claimed it was based on a formula invented in the 30s. I can't bring myself to believe that mainly because it wasn't petroleum-based!

hah. i havent legitimately washed my hair with soap or shampoo in a year and half lol

mike

Call Me a Cab
Forgotten Man said:
How about an all natural product with no petroleum products in it at all! Something that washes out with water and gives a nice shine, I'm talking about a hair treatment called "Dapper Man" and I have some if you'd like to try it out. It may work for you, it works for me great but, then again I have very thin straight hair.

The Valentino look is very classy but, if your finding that even if you're a huge fan of Valentino's style but your hair isn't, then maybe try another classic Hollywood actor's style who had wavy or curly hair! In the early 30s waves were all the rage!

PS: I have always believed that ghettos were color blind. There are poor people of every color the world over.

Who makes Dapper Man? I'd be shocked to find out it's not somehow connected to someone here?! I'm mighty curious myself to try it now. I use tresemme styling putty. It's ok. you can have it stay wet looking even though it actually dries or you can comb it through for a dry 30's wavy look. It's not perfect, but it washes right out and it's easy to find.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Haberdasher, you'll need to achieve 15 posts before you can utilize all the functions available here.

Marc, I salute your forbearance. (And Hemingway Jones' careful editing)

Forgotten Man - tell the tale!! :)

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
You must remember, Heavy pomades were not made for white people. They were made for African Americans who wanted straight hair. So in that regard, you might want to use it. What they would do is leave it in, and put a do rag over their head at night. I think you could also put a hot towel over it to soften it up, then let it get hard straight again.

I used to use some of these, when I sported a vintage do. But now I wonder how I ever stood it. Having a permanent thick glop of wqxy oil on your head all the time seems awful. But if you want straight hair, that is what you could do.

Or, you could have a hair person straighten it or use drug store hair straightener. Or, if you want to be real vintage, do a conch. (sp) I think it involves lie and turns your hair reddish. It is a crude form of hair straightening.

I would suggest a lighter oil like Tres Flores, which is mainly like vaseline, and doing a thirties do that is more in keeping with your hair. A thick, curling poof of hair is really period and really cool. Don't try to slick it back, go for the thick and high on top and maybe slicked on the sides. This is very period and cool.

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Thanks for the help. Why and when did whites start using pomade? Many people were racist back then, so how come they started using pomade to shine or hold their hair?

mike

Call Me a Cab
habberdasher said:
Thanks for the help. Why and when did whites start using pomade? Many people were racist back then, so how come they started using pomade to shine or hold their hair?

Ahem, we prefer to be called "them white folk" if you please :rolleyes:

I believe most people of all walks of life, if they could afford it, used some variation of a hair tonic or wax early on.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but pomade to me is more an Elvis thing. He was the first to take the African American conk, quiff or pompadour and cross the racial line, which was quite a statement as it was sadly a very wide and bold line at the time. To compliment the haircut, he also borrowed generously from the clothing and music styles of many of the rhythm & blues musicians at the time, especially Howln' Wolf's stage presence.

That being said, he still beats the Beatles hands down :p

Schofields

Familiar Face
habberdasher said:

thanks to you lol

not entirely, but when they saw the effect valentino had on women, men everywhere started slicking their hair back.

habberdasher

A-List Customer
The way I found out about pomade was I noticed in all the movies from the 20s-early 60s, the men (and sometimes women) had very unnaturally shiny hair. Many pomades were invented in the mid 20s-30s, around the time it started being used. If the white men didn't use pomade, then did they use tonic, or something specifically made for white folk's hair?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
habberdasher said:
If the white men didn't use pomade, then did they use tonic, or something specifically made for white folk's hair?

They started off in the early 1800s by using "dressing for the hair" with a liquid oil base -- the oil was extracted from plants and trees. One of the earliest dressings was called "Oil of Macassar" (hence the name for those doilies once put on the tops of chair backs: "anti-macassars"). Macassar oil is often made with coconut oil or palm oil combined with ylang-ylang oil (obtained by processing the flowers of the ylang-ylang tree, Cananga odorata) and other fragrant oils.

Macassar oil was so named because it was reputed to have been manufactured from ingredients purchased in the port of Makassar in Indonesia. It was touted as a cure-all for baldness, dandruff, brittle hair, lifeless hair, headaches, etc., and was sold to women as well as men.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Oh, if you had been referring to "Dapper Dan" instead of "Dapper Man", that would be our practically 13yo Fred Astaire wannabe son- Daniel:)
360023941.jpg

mike said:
... Dapper Man? I'd be shocked to find out it's not somehow connected to someone here?! .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes