Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

OldSoul

Familiar Face
Went down to my barber today and told him I had decided to go back to my flat-top. He was pretty happy, as I was running with it for quite some time before I tried longer hair, then got lazy and decided to do nothing with my hair for the past 5 or so months. A short time later I walked out like this. Pretty pleased with it myself. Please, don't mind the sunburn :p

Barchetta52

New in Town
Marc Chevalier said:
:( I had one barber go senile on me; the other dropped dead at the age of 50.

Sadly, the best barber I ever had committed suicide. It always hurts me to think someone found life that hopeless.

mattfink

Practically Family
Check out the last page of the "Hair Cuts" thread....there is a pretty good pictorial you might want to print off and give to your barber.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
For their deco era/golden era haircuts my husband and our 13yo son are now going to a Barber Shop too. I just took our son last week and met the gentleman that has been cutting his hair for him since Feb '09. Daniel gets a 1930s Fred Astaire style haircut, taking in a picture with him. It looks great on him.

This place must be an old shop alright, the old chairs have built in metal ashtrays at the edges of the armrests, with metal footplates.

Here's Daniel with his short haircut:
360023930.jpg
360023941.jpg

The Wolf said:
I was tired of going to Super Cuts so I started looking for a barber. My hair can't be "styled", I just need it short.
I phone a place and he says they don't take reservations; just come in and "by the way, we don't style". He wasn't rude just laying it down.
The shop had a red and white striped pole, boxing magazines, combs in blue liquid and two old guys cutting hair. I knew I'd found the right place.
The down side is the perfect barbers tend to die or retire.

The way to tell if it's the right barber for us is they have white hair and you can tell them you want a regular haircut. If they think you aren't sure they say "Do you want it blocked or tapered in back?" In my case I said tapered and his response was "Oh, a regular haircut." We had an understanding.

When the moon comes up, out comes,
The Wolf

OldSoul

Familiar Face
BinkieBaumont said:
I sported a Flat top in the early 1980's, I loved it, but it needed cutting every three weeks!, to keep it looking crunchy

Don't I know it! But, I enjoy going to the barber so I just grin and bare it :)

Highlander

A-List Customer
Floyd the Barber

On the Andy Griffith show, at Floyd the Barber's shop there was a "Haircut Style" poster on the wall with various types of cuts of the era. Has anyone seen that poster or a similar one?? I'd like to get a closer look at it.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I had read a while back that style is called a "Two Line". Why, I don't know. I think, in the UK it is called the "Short Sharp Shock", but I could be wrong on that one. Just something to pose to your barber to test their knowledge I guess. Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Dan

DC3

New in Town
For years I parted my hair over my left eye and fought with the hair in my crown. It was always sticking up and it took more than Brylcreem to keep it down. I left the USAF after 10 years, grew a full beard and soon after I tried combing my hair straight back. It took a few haircuts to get the hair trained to go back almost naturally. Out of the shower I use a little "Crew" forming cream to prevent fly away, brush it back and forget about it. Now I don't worry about my part being messed up or that damn crown hair coming unstuck. I also find it the best style for me since I always ride a motorcycle with a helmet, and I like wearing hats.

Oh, I found a great brush the other day made from boar bristle, like a good shaving brush. These bristles on these hair brushes though are short, stiff, and close together providing a great, smooth, finished look that a comb cannot. I also bought a slightly flatter style, just for my beard.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Highlander said:
On the Andy Griffith show, at Floyd the Barber's shop there was a "Haircut Style" poster on the wall with various types of cuts of the era. Has anyone seen that poster or a similar one?? I'd like to get a closer look at it.
!B(yb8ywB2k~$(KGrHgoH-CgEjlLl1Ej9BKeH!T6s3!~~_35.JPG

There's also another version that might actually be the one from Andy Griffith. Perhaps that's the one at Clotheshorse's Barber's shop?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot