Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

Jan

One of the Regulars
Have any of you read the fac-fiction stories? I mean, REALLY read them? Yeah... I haven't gone to that site since...

But, I have to say, quite a few fellas on there, got good hair.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
The fanfictions, yeah that was pretty strange reading through some of them. I actually read through maybe two or three before that were fetish ones, but there was one I found amusing, which involved giving hippie kids haircuts and nice clothes or something.

The combover section though... Those guys should just shave it all off, and go bald. Just my opinion, no offense to anybody with a combover, I hope?

I wish that website would stop it with the fetish/fantasy stuff, and just get straight to the point of being a place where one could comfortably browse different slick hairstyles. They're just giving normal people "stereotypes" about some of us. One guy over there's cool though, he's actually someone I know from The Fedora Chronicles forum, too.

Last edited:

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
After around 20 years of the same hairstyle, I decided to change to something classier. I wanted something shorter, more hat-friendly, and a bit closer to a swing-era hairstyle.

And, when it's dry. It stays in place without any daily styling product, just a little wet combing in the morning.
haircut3.jpg

I'm pleased with it and have gotten all sorts of compliments on the change. My mother even did a double-take when she first saw it dry and finished, saying I looked just like pictures of my grandfather (which must be from the '40s or '50s, because he went bald later on). It suits my swing-centric style and I feel that much more complete (and even happier!) to have a hairstyle that feels like my own. :D

This is the way my hair has been cut since I was little. My father always liked this syle and so do I. It is really the only style that I know. The only difference is that I have longer sideburns.

=GG=

Last edited:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, that's a nice hairstyle. You're able to do that without any product at all? My hair certainly can't. Even if I wet it then comb it, it will dry up and just fall out of place, go a bit crazy, which seems to be a trend today anyway.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Yes, good hair cut Androiden! Here's what my hair's been looking like today.

Photoon2011-05-18at1940.jpg

It was a combination of a little Brylcreem, and some Royal Crown Pomade in the morning; the former spread throughout, but the latter focused mainly on the front fringe to make my hair a bit thicker and manageable, or else it's just thin and flies everywhere. This picture was actually after working a bit outside, and working out indoors, so it's got a wind-swept look going on. I should probably shave though.

I've been thinking, my hairline might have receded since the past couple of years, after looking at an older picture of myself, so this style covers my high/wide forehead a bit.

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Got my summer haircut today. Since pomade doesn't hold quite as well in hot weather, and slicked back hair will be harder to maintain working at my pool, I went for a more businessman style cut.

Photo94.jpg

R.G. White

One of the Regulars
Looks great Yeps! What exactly do you ask for when you're getting your hair cut like that. I have a feeling if I said "Business Style," they would have no clue what I was talking about.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Looks great Yeps! What exactly do you ask for when you're getting your hair cut like that. I have a feeling if I said "Business Style," they would have no clue what I was talking about.

I said short back and sides, with medium top and a side part with "just make it look neat and nice" added on, and the barber replied "just a regular haircut."

So you had your hair cut shorter in the front and top too, not just sides and back?

Yeah, I didn't want to deal with the longer hair this time.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Off topic, but I was browsing a couple of YouTube videos of The Godfather Part II video game; their character customization, and in particular the hair styles they had available for you to choose. The people behind this game sure haven't done their homework with regard to period authenticity... just about every mobster in the game looks like either a mid/late '60s mod (complete with shag or bowl-cut), hippie, or '70s disco dancer. Many of the hairstyles and maybe clothing, are not accurately representative of the late 1950s at all, which The Godfather Part II is set. Few mobsters were even wearing suits, it was mostly flashy, neon colored casual clothing. It's just a very anachronistic looking game. The actual game isn't that good too, for the matter.

From 1:25 to 2:10 for hairstyles.
[video=youtube;2m3cGFLaKHA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m3cGFLaKHA&feature=related[/video]

The first Godfather game was actually a whole lot better with regard to period authenticity. Lots of slick, combed back hairstyle variations; side-parts, middle-parts, pompadours, crew-cuts, and so on... Anybody ever play these games before?

Last edited:

djd

Practically Family
I need a haircut...

Ive been growing it out a bit as I have a tendency to just take the clippers to it when I get fed up with it. Trouble is, it's mostly grey now and so lifeless that it's very hard to keep in in any sort of style. I don't mind being grey from the colour perspective - it's the fact that my hair now has no body that bugs me. No one told me that about middle age! ;)

JimBob

New in Town
Hopefully someone can help.

I'm looking for a good 1950's barber in England preferably in the Manchester or Leeds area, I have been going to Mr Ducktails for the last couple of years but I live in Hull and because of work commitments I can't find the time to get down there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy