Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

DoolittleRaider

Familiar Face
haha, ive got to go get my haircut very soon and i am planning to do just that. i have her as a friend on facebook, im going to go take her to a local swing jazz club.:D

thanks viperman for the advice.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
ive having these exact problems and it wasnt until i found my old magazine called Classic Style and i bought it to my nearest great clips and showed it to the girl that was cutting my hair, she was very pretty and i showed her what i wanted, it was a picture of Matt Deckard, she looked at it closely and started cutting, later on she started asking me what magazine it was and i told her. She then asked me what kind of style i was going for and i told her, that i was a reenactor or WWII and i loved the vintage style haircuts of old hollywood, she started to blush and said that i looked very sexy in my new haircut.

when it was all said and done, i thought of what to use to keep the shape because my haior has a tendency to want to fall and go forward into my face.

any suggestions fellas?

Yeah, my hair is like that too; if I don't use enough stuff, it'll fall on my forehead. Could I recommend that you give Brylcreem or Royal Crown Pomade a try? They can be both kind of soft and flexible products, the former more than the latter, and the Royal Crown has some more hold too. If you use both together, you can have a shiny look, and have it right in place. Even if you use a generous amount of Brylcreem, you could still achieve decent hold. It depends how long or short your hair is though. My hair for example is longer now, and if I use just a little bit, sometimes it isn't enough. When I had shorter hair it would be.

I tried Groom n Clean and did not enjoy it at all. I have thick hair and a lot of it, Groom n Clean just didn't do the trick for me.

I have been using that stuff too Tom, it leaves a nice sheen, holds better then Brylcreem, makes my hair feel thick, and has a nice lasting old school scent. It is a bit greasier than the Groom and Cleam I usually use, but it seems to hold better and make my hair feel thicker.

tomin8r

New in Town
Hey all,

I'm a new guy 'round these parts, so I thought I'd share my do.

My hair isn't thinning at the top as the picture might imply, it just looks that way do to my weird natural hair color [A mix of brown, blond and red]

Anyways, lemme know what you think,

cheers all.

hair1.jpg

hair2.jpg

Bad quality pics I know

:p

Last edited:

Jan

One of the Regulars
Clean up the styling a bit, (sharpen the part, make the hair sweep in one single direction,) and you should be good to go.

tomin8r

New in Town
Thanks Jan,

I got pretty thick curly hair with cowlicks in the front so it just kind of grows all over the place. I try and keep it in check though. :p

Definitely will work on sharpening the part though, I've only recently got hooked on the retro craze, and wearing my hair like this.

Cheers all.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
The Fedora Lounge Standard.

Exactly, kind of like your picture from a couple pages back. For the first time, I actually bothered to print out a picture to bring. I think it shows the front and sides well enough that he may get a good idea of what I'm after.

I like how in the picture, it is sort of the 1930s equivalent of the "messy look" that's so prevalent today, because his hair isn't perfectly combed, and it's a little rough around the edges. It strikes a balance between between classy and rugged, still a good enough look for nicer clothing like suits, ties, dress shirts, waistcoats, and such.

_Nightwing

One of the Regulars
A few weeks after a cut. Tight fade on the sides and a bit shorter on top than I usually do. Keeps it clean longer and prevents my ends from starting to flip up.
269103_10150221866843811_642563810_7509708_2891306_n.jpg

Great haircut, great look. I've gradually read my through the entire thread today, trying to decide on what my next haircut will be, as I haven't had one since 2005. I particularly like the short back and sides and "the Ivy League," as its called, which seems to be a shorter variation. It's nice to finish the thread on a cool example of the kind of thing I'm looking for. Looks very good with the dark hair too. Mine's lighter.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
If you do that, just make sure your barber is actually adept at the use of thinning shears. This technique of thinning the sides fell out of favor a long time ago.

As for more pictures, here you go. I don't know how we'll they'll print--they're pretty small and low-res. But I included several different angles.

CutStrip.jpg

Thanks Mark,

I have seen these photo's before in their original resolution. It seems they came off of the Life Magazine Photo's and were from the early to mid 1960's, yeah I really like this cut, I am going to try and find them. let me know if you have anymore like these, my barber likes to collect them as well as he does alot of retro classic styles like this

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy