Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

fashion frank

One Too Many
I got some Murray's today (originally went to Walgreens to get Royal Crown, but they didn't have it, despite their website saying it was in stores). I like the smell, it smells like coconut a bit. It seems pretty hard to get out of the can however, but once I put it in my hair, I noticed it had a very nice super shine, and it seems to hold pretty well. I didn't really put enough in my hair though, I will tomorrow however.

Does anyone have some tips on applying Murray's? I am not too used to pomades, since I usually use Brylcreem (I will use Brylcreem and Murray's or Royal Crown in the future).

Check out this web site : http://www.artofmanliness.com/ and also this one for general ref. http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
Art of Manliness is a good website, I actually read there quite a bit before coming here. Gentleman's Gazette looks pretty interesting, and I assume they have much better information on clothes than Art of Manliness.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I got some Murray's today (originally went to Walgreens to get Royal Crown, but they didn't have it, despite their website saying it was in stores). I like the smell, it smells like coconut a bit. It seems pretty hard to get out of the can however, but once I put it in my hair, I noticed it had a very nice super shine, and it seems to hold pretty well. I didn't really put enough in my hair though, I will tomorrow however.

Does anyone have some tips on applying Murray's? I am not too used to pomades, since I usually use Brylcreem (I will use Brylcreem and Murray's or Royal Crown in the future).

I heat it in the jar with a blast of hot air from the hair dryer, then scoop a little out and spread it around with my fingers. Then a hot dryer on my hair at low speed to distribute the goop. Then comb.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I don't have a hair dryer unfortunately. However, I have noticed that I can make it softer by rubbing it in my hands. Are there other ways to heat it without a hair dryer?

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just don't put the tin can in the microwave.:eeek: Hairdryers are cheap. Before you heat up pomade in the oven or a bowl of warm water every day...just get a cheap hairdryer. It's less complicated.

I've found Murrays too strong for my thick hair. I use black and white for years now.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Miland.gif

Miland2.gif

From Tumblr.

Metatron

One Too Many
Ray Milland it is. That's what I usually ask for. It's hard to make them understand.

Me too. The great thing is you have a style which can look clean and professional but will start to 'express itself' after hard work or play. ;)
To describe this to the barber I place two fingers above my ear and say 'fade to number two from here and don't cut anything off the top' and that seems to work.

Last edited:

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
To describe this to the barber I place two fingers above my ear and say 'fade to number two from here and don't cut anything off the top' and that seems to work.

I describe my cut in the same way - a 1 at the ears, skin fade on the back, and none of the top. But they always complain about the top remaining uncut - because they say it prohibits them from blending the sides properly, particularly on the side opposite the part.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have heavy, thick, straight hair like that. But I´d prefer it a bit wavy... go figure.:p

Makes me think of a friend of mine, of Italian descent. In our younger days in the Rockabilly scene, every second guy was trying to pomade his straight hair into a wavy/curly Gene Vincent look, and there was my buddy who already had that look naturally spending all his time trying to straighten his hair!

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I still cannot find Royal Crown anywhere. Would a local pharmacy be more likely to carry it? Or should I just order it online?'

I have a made curious discovery. Murray's doesn't seem to like Brylcreem, as it seems to come out when I apply Brylcreem.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko