Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Some great haircuts, but very dodgy footwear, oh and turn the sound off your ears may start bleeding

[video=youtube;ChalHjqKcLY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChalHjqKcLY[/video]

[video=youtube;IlM2CnM7RLk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlM2CnM7RLk&NR=1[/video]

Short back and sides, is back, however , the Beckham/Troll Doll/Bedhead look is well and truly dead!!!

blake-fauxhawk.jpg

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I ended up getting my hair cut today, and went with a moderate pompadour style.

I did find my dad's comments on it pretty amusing though. He looked at me with a nervous, skeptical smile and told me that I look like the 1950s (not bad, that's what I'm shooting for), and said that I should "go with the flow," and seemed to talk down on wearing my hair particularly period looking.

Between your father and your brothers, its amazing that you have the fortitude to continue to do your thing. I think you look great. Keep it up, man.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
When have dads ever liked their sons' hair cut or style? This is an age old problem of generational differences. Your hair looks great. Others who see your hair and like it will start to copy your style, and before long you will have started a trend. :)

Between your father and your brothers, its amazing that you have the fortitude to continue to do your thing. I think you look great. Keep it up, man.

Yes, thank you. That's the generation gap showing, isn't it... There have been times I've thought about wearing fedoras or slicking my hair less often (as well as wearing collared shirts most of the time), but such a conformist attitude doesn't appeal to me. I enjoy doing my own thing, although I try to tone it down at times where I'd feel more appropriate. The irony is, without going into a discussion of politics, I'm a conservative if that means anything, and even so, I might seem a bit rebellious to some of those around me.

But is that bed head or messy look still in fashion, or is it dying down a bit?

markthebarber

New in Town
The thing is, he thinks excessive use of hair products (I think he was thinking of gel) leads to hair loss, is that right?

Permanent hair loss, you mean? Like bald spots and receding hairline where the hair that was there stops growing back? No, that's not right. Our hair grows beneath our scalps, well below where any topically applied product can reach. All of the physiological stuff that would affect hair growth or loss happens there and only there. So it doesn't really matter what kind of hair products (shampoos, conditioners, grooming stuff, etc.) you choose to use. None of them can hinder hair growth--and despite the marketing claims they might be making, none of them can actually help it, either.

OTOH, you can certainly do temporary damage to your hair with products. Modern gels and sprays can dry out the hair to the point that it gets very brittle and breaks off. Oil-based products just sit on the hair-shaft and make it into a magnet for dirt, dust, smoke and anything else that's in the air, which is obviously not ideal. But both of those conditions are very temporary and easily fixable.

Having said all that, I'll also say that it's seemed to me for a long time that male hair loss is more prevalent in the modern gel-spray age than it used to be in the bygone Brylcreem age. Maybe I'm wrong about that--I wasn't around for the Brylcreem age--but in looking at photos from the 50s/60s, I don't see guys losing their hair at the same rate that I see them losing it today.

I've heard this before. My mother tries to claim that my Pomade use will cause hair-loss. She says as a 'former hair dresser' she knows, however I do believe it's just because she hates the Pomade use.

Permanent hair loss, you mean? Like bald spots and receding hairline where the hair that was there stops growing back? No, that's not right. Our hair grows beneath our scalps, well below where any topically applied product can reach. All of the physiological stuff that would affect hair growth or loss happens there and only there. So it doesn't really matter what kind of hair products (shampoos, conditioners, grooming stuff, etc.) you choose to use. None of them can hinder hair growth--and despite the marketing claims they might be making, none of them can actually help it, either.

OTOH, you can certainly do temporary damage to your hair with products. Modern gels and sprays can dry out the hair to the point that it gets very brittle and breaks off. Oil-based products just sit on the hair-shaft and make it into a magnet for dirt, dust, smoke and anything else that's in the air, which is obviously not ideal. But both of those conditions are very temporary and easily fixable.

Having said all that, I'll also say that it's seemed to me for a long time that male hair loss is more prevalent in the modern gel-spray age than it used to be in the bygone Brylcreem age. Maybe I'm wrong about that--I wasn't around for the Brylcreem age--but in looking at photos from the 50s/60s, I don't see guys losing their hair at the same rate that I see them losing it today.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
How much pomade a day do you use, exactly? I'm a "little dab" sort, myself, sometimes a little more than that too. When I style my hair like a pompadour, I use a fair amount of the Royal Crown, just a bit of Dax, and occasionally a little bit of Brylcreem. When I'm after a less "wet look," I'll use just a dab (more like quarter-sized rather than dime-sized like they advertise) of Brylcreem to help control my hair. There was actually a point in which I used even more than what I do now, and I did catch a bit of flack for doing it every single day.

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
When I slick my hair down, which is every day, I use a good fingertip full for every inch of hair at the front and then all the way down the parting. I just like it better that way. And it's shiny enough to blind passers-by in the right light too.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
When I slick my hair down, which is every day, I use a good fingertip full for every inch of hair at the front and then all the way down the parting. I just like it better that way. And it's shiny enough to blind passers-by in the right light too.

I like that. I say wear your haircut with confidence. If you feel good about it and show that, people will accept it as you. What kind of product are you using Matt?
By the way I like the suit in your Avatar, especially the collar.

Derek WC

Banned
"My mother tries to claim that my Pomade use will cause hair-loss."

Look at the heads of men who are in their 70's or older, you'll notice a recurring trend. They've almost all got hair, and I think it's from using pomade.

"Oil-based products just sit on the hair-shaft and make it into a magnet for dirt, dust, smoke and anything else that's in the air..."

I really notice this after I've been working in wood shop, and after I've been grilling. The scent of the charcoal stays with my hair until after I wash it - quite pleasant.

Last edited:

Slim Tim

New in Town
I got my hair cut recently, I went with short on the sides and back and longer on the top. I'm really going for the 1940's look.

230193_10150290179694097_676104096_9501880_7719122_n.jpg

The only thing I'm not sure about is the best way to style my hair. I generally just keep combing it until it looks good, which can take some time and be difficult because of the thick pomade.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
I got my hair cut recently, I went with short on the sides and back and longer on the top. I'm really going for the 1940's look.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the best way to style my hair. I generally just keep combing it until it looks good, which can take some time and be difficult because of the thick pomade.

There is no other way.. comb and shape it till you're satisfied with the result... then comb and shape it some more ;-)

That's the only way to go!

I've noticed this too. Bot my grandfathers are pomade users and both have hair. Dad's dad born in 1930 and Mom's dad in 1942.
"My mother tries to claim that my Pomade use will cause hair-loss."

Look at the heads of men who are in their 70's or older, you'll notice a recurring trend. They've almost all got hair, and I think it's from using pomade.

"Oil-based products just sit on the hair-shaft and make it into a magnet for dirt, dust, smoke and anything else that's in the air..."

I really notice this after I've been working in wood shop, and after I've been grilling. The scent of the charcoal stays with my hair until after I wash it - quite pleasant.

I think this cut looks pretty sharp, Tim.

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
I go to a real Barbershop that finishes their cuts with a straight razor that's down the way from me. This is the typical haircut I get there. It has a lower fade in the back. I have Murrays and a bit of Sweet Georgia Brown in it at the moment.

001-5.jpg

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Got a treat today... was in getting a shave and a cut and my barber whips out a comb from a packet, brand new and starts using on my hair. Looks like the NRA logo, no?? Blue eagle and all....

Really cool to be the first user after this comb was made 80+ years ago :)

ee2fa5de.jpg

2163c8d3.jpg

I went for higher cut that my usual low'n'tite....
c746a239-1.jpg

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Flat-top, somehow I knew you'd appreciate that. The machine/clippers was the Horstator.... at leasr 50 years old.... he got it deadstock and now swears by it.

Meanwhile his Oster 97 needs a part (the 97 is the 220w model; I think it's a better machine because the wattage makes the motor go better.)

Thanks Dude :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails