Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
repeatclicks said:
Precisely. Some people on here think they are the final word on a subject. Well, Id say Marc is anyway! lol

I don't think anyone could begrudge Marc having the last word on any vintage topic. lol Now he's someone that I learn from, and is gracious enough to share his vast knowledge of the Golden Era.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Carlisle Blues said:
How exactly did you get that cut? What instruments were used? I like your cut it looks great on you.:)

Why, thank you kindly sir! :arated:

Here's how:

Mr. 'H' said:
This is what I got earlier today: a pomp up top and shaved in around the edges with a straight razor:

IMG_1691.jpg

;)

McFarlaneNYC

Familiar Face
got my haircut today.
Went for a 30's 40's look, short on sides long on top.
My barber dropped out of school in Italy at age eight and started working in a barber shop, been doing it ever since. He used mostly buzzers with no guards, straight edge, and a sheer scissor to blend.

when I started:
IMG_0344.jpg

the finished product:
IMG_0464.jpg

Charlie

fallbackdown82

New in Town
As a barber in washington state, I would like to offer my 2 cents to the whitewall vs fade debate. In Washington among people in the hair industry I have worked with, whitewalls commonly is used to mean razor shaved sides. A fade is thought to mean a blending of hair length from shorter to longer gradually. Tapering is basically the same thing, however taper can also mean having the hair cut measurably shorter on the nape and temples, blending to a longer length. I have heard the terms used pretty much interchangeably. A lot of the barbershops in this area catering to a more ethnic or urban clientele use the term Fade to refer to a certain short blended cut. Ask your barber what they think, it is always interesting to hear the different schools of thought!

McFarlaneNYC

Familiar Face
fallbackdown82 said:
As a barber in washington state, I would like to offer my 2 cents to the whitewall vs fade debate. In Washington among people in the hair industry I have worked with, whitewalls commonly is used to mean razor shaved sides. A fade is thought to mean a blending of hair length from shorter to longer gradually. Tapering is basically the same thing, however taper can also mean having the hair cut measurably shorter on the nape and temples, blending to a longer length. I have heard the terms used pretty much interchangeably. A lot of the barbershops in this area catering to a more ethnic or urban clientele use the term Fade to refer to a certain short blended cut. Ask your barber what they think, it is always interesting to hear the different schools of thought!

thanks Fallbackdown82.

I am in the process of writing an article for the 90thidpg (http://www.90thidpg.us/) on the correct American 30's and 40's haircut, so I really appreciate it your tip on the terminology which is a key the article.
I have been using this page for most of my hair terminology, though the subject of the website may be controversial, http://www.ftmguide.org/haircuts.html

Here is a sample of my work:
http://www.90thidpg.us/Research/Original/FoodNormandy/index.html

Charlie

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
From what I've seen, and I asked my barber who I'd say specializes in 20's- 50's haircuts. (Sweeny Todds in Los Feliz for any Los Angelenos out there), and his response to the fade vs. taper argument is that a taper blends the hair like a fade does respectively, but the difference is that a taper starts the blend lower on the sides of the head, while a fade starts starts the blend higher up- more around the top-about a half inch to an inch above your ears rather than a taper that starts lower. Tell me if that didn't make sense....

Whitewalls I know about from the Rockabilly crowd which is when your skin shows through, or a few people call greying on the sides whitewalls also. [huh]

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I got my long hair cut in December, and wanted to go back to what I used to get: a very basic cut with a right part, all scissors. The girl who always cut my hair and knew how I liked it couldn't make it in due to weather, so someone else cut my hair. Not a bad cut, but too short in the front and too long in the back, so I'll probably get it cut again in a month. I think I'll try short back and sides, though I don't want the sides too short so they blend with my beard. Until then, I've been combing my hair back with a right part and putting in some gel wax to hold it.

I'm not sure where to go, I've never gotten a haircut in the UK. I may try the place in the University union and bring in a couple pictures of about what I want.

fallbackdown82

New in Town
McFarlaneNYC said:
thanks Fallbackdown82.

I am in the process of writing an article for the 90thidpg (http://www.90thidpg.us/) on the correct American 30's and 40's haircut, so I really appreciate it your tip on the terminology which is a key the article.
I have been using this page for most of my hair terminology, though the subject of the website may be controversial, http://www.ftmguide.org/haircuts.html

Here is a sample of my work:
http://www.90thidpg.us/Research/Original/FoodNormandy/index.html

Charlie

Any questions you have, I would be honored to do what I can to help. I have a great interest in vintage style haircuts as well, and I am trying to find more photos, articles etc as well. I plan on more or less specializing on the traditional and vintage aspects of barbering. The article you are referencing from is fairly accurate, maybe a little out of date, but has most of the basics. If you have any questions or want feedback or input, like I said I would be honored to help. I like your article on the period foods. I used to re-enact mountainman rendezvous and black powder shoot when I was a kid. I understand your passion!

fallbackdown82

New in Town
J.J. Gittes said:
From what I've seen, and I asked my barber who I'd say specializes in 20's- 50's haircuts. (Sweeny Todds in Los Feliz for any Los Angelenos out there), and his response to the fade vs. taper argument is that a taper blends the hair like a fade does respectively, but the difference is that a taper starts the blend lower on the sides of the head, while a fade starts starts the blend higher up- more around the top-about a half inch to an inch above your ears rather than a taper that starts lower. Tell me if that didn't make sense....

Whitewalls I know about from the Rockabilly crowd which is when your skin shows through, or a few people call greying on the sides whitewalls also. [huh]

That sounds about right. There is often a lot of confusion as to the difference between a taper and a fade. Yes a taper usually does start lower, and a fade generally is a blend beginning around the corner point of your hairline near your temple up to longer lengths at the top. There is also what is called a temple fade, where the hair around your ear towards the corner point is shorter blending to longer lengths, with the back of the neck tapered blending to longer lengths. I will try to find some pictures for you to reference. Look at Johnny Depp in public enemies, his temple area is tapered along with the back of the neck. A challenge to do with the hair being as long as it is on the top. As I mentioned before, some barbers vs stylists, will use different terms depending on their training, and regular clientele. As far as I have come across in my experience this is what it is called in my area anyways!

habberdasher

A-List Customer
I went in for the cut Sunday. I like to get the shortest I can on the back and around the ears (a 1) and taper it real well so it doesn't look like a bowl cut to long top that doesn't get cut. I tell the barber to bring up around the ears and back the highest they can. Also the back of my head pops out so I get a 1-2 on all of the back of my head and it gets tapered up to 5 inch hair very quickly on the edge between the back and top of my head-they usually do a great job; I like the real clean cut with still plenty of hair left on the side and top to style with.

maximiliani

New in Town
http://www.mart.trento.it/UploadImgs/807_26_Flash_Gordon.jpg

Anyone know how I can go about getting that kind of haircut or how to comb it to get it close to that? My hair is thick and has some natural wave to it so I'm pretty sure I can pull it off. My friend's started telling me this week I was Flash Gordon the other day, so I looked him up (I've heard of him lol, but never been a fan, which is weird because I'm a superhero/pulp nut!)

203104.jpg

203116.jpg

I got my haircut back in Dec. telling the hairdresser short on the side and back and kept the bangs and top long and am trying to grow the top out I guess, so I can get my corkscrews back. When I had mop-top hair I could sculpt curls a whole lot like those with very little product. I haven't gotten it cut since then, am probably due?

To do that, would you think part and then slick back? Or is it just a longer version of what I have now more or less with more bunching/curls?

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Your hair looks just like in that photo. You need a haircut at least once a month. I get a buzz 1 on the sides and back and taper it so I don't have to go in often. Also for your haircut get it tapered really well so you don't end up having a bowl cut. For a slicked, or pomaded style try for Bing Crosby's style, you have the exact same hair; look him up.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
McFarlaneNYC said:
got my haircut today.
Went for a 30's 40's look, short on sides long on top.
My barber dropped out of school in Italy at age eight and started working in a barber shop, been doing it ever since. He used mostly buzzers with no guards, straight edge, and a sheer scissor to blend.

when I started:
IMG_0344.jpg

the finished product:
IMG_0464.jpg

Charlie

Looks Great!! Now all you need to make it really authentic is to slick it down with pomade or brylcreem, wildroot, etc............. and get that part real sharp- make it shine.

Tim in Ohio

Familiar Face
High and tight?

Big Man said:
DSC01539.jpg

Not all "vintage" haircuts were high and tight. This is a picture of the 1941 Nebo High School boy's basketball team. My Dad is the tall one in the center.

Just reading thru old posts and saw this. What a cool old pic. The haircuts may not have been "high and tight" but the shorts sure were! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy