Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
I’m thinking about using Pomade or similar in my hair soon, I’ve seen it mentioned here that some products can damage hats.

So I have a few related questions; what products have a potentially adverse effect on a hat? What do these consist of specifically? And which will not harm a hat, if any?

B.Ross

New in Town
Dapper Dan

I hope that this isn't seen as too silly a question... I would like to incorporate a hat into my regular weekly dress, which is a suit and tie. The issue is my hair (fro-ish)....I need to put some product in my hair to keep it "presentable" for clients and a hat messes that whole thing up. Do any of you run into the same issue, and what do you do? Is it just a hat on the weekends?!

Thanks for the input!

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Unfortunately hats can dent hair. I recommend a wax with a strong hold so it lays flat. Then remove your hat by pulling it towards the back of your head instead of forward or up so it doesn't wreck your hair.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think you've identified a true tradeoff that is irreducible to a smaller problem. I think you just have to decide about hair shape versus wearing a hat. When I had a lot of hair until my 20s, maybe 30s, it might have been an issue for me. Not anymore. Two things happened--less hair, and eventually less caring about any hat dents. I just didn't care anymore. If that's not where you are, then it's a decision.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
I use 3 Flowers & no problem's & i use Lite-Felt Hats which most dont have a liner..But i do get a hair cut weekly & get the Whitewalls High & tight.
so the sweat band is just on skin.
When i was younger i always had a Pompadur & i just wore a Higher Crown hat & lined it straight not a tilt which i do now & that was with Pomade.....No Hat Hair Problems then or now...

Last edited:

TrustButVerify

New in Town
How in the world did men back in the golden age of fedoras not destroy their hats with hair product? Men back then definitely loaded up on pretty heavy duty hair product, but were also able to keep the insides of their hats in great shape. I've purchased hats from the 40s-60s that look almost brand new inside, but when I wear them with hair product i notice immediate buildup.

I ask because I am a fedora enthusiast who, by virtue of having some crazy hair with even crazier cowlicks, absolutely must use product, especially for shorter styles. I've been wearing my hair without product when I wear my hats out, and as soon as I remove my hat it is ridiculous. I basically have to have stuff in my hair to keep it under control. I'm very curious as to the way this worked when all men wore hats for long periods of the day, while also being loaded up with hair product. I'm at a loss. The only answer I can think of is that since good hats were so plentiful back then, basically nobody cared about destroying them often because they could just replace them. However, obviously these days finding a great hat is either very difficult or prohibitively expensive, so this just doesn't seem a realistic answer.

Any thoughts or insight most appreciated.

SirPandaEsq

New in Town
No surprise here, I wear my hair styled fairly classically with a left side part, medium length. I have been using Goon Grease pomade by Lockhart to tame my mane, I typically shower every other day, and use Goon Grease on day one. The second day I use the residual Goon Grease with a splash of Vitalis Hair Tonic and a spritz of Vitalis hairspray.
I find that some hats mess with my hair as I take it off when I get to the office, and my ACE pocket comb can fix it fine with the pomade, but on a hairspray day It doesnt do so well. Although I did just buy a Kent comb. Does anyone here wear their hair styled with a hat? How do you keep it from messing it up? Or is it just my hat is the wrong size? I have yet to buy a properly sized hat, being of the "XXL" Scala and Stacy Adams variety and not a 7 5/8ths that my head calls for. I am saving up for a decent Akubra or Stetson fedora. Would I have less of an issue of the hat pushing the sides of my hair down with a hat actually sized correctly and not the "catch all" sized of L, XL, XXL? Thanks all!

RicchRoss

New in Town
I don't think there is a magic hair product when you have to wear your hat. Any hair product is good as long as it leaves your hair clean. I do before wearing a hat to clean my hair first, twice, apply conditioner, and whatever you want. After that, I must blow my hair with a dryer to dry it thoroughly. I use one that doesn't damage the hair at all. Here is a list of the best hair dryers https://hairdryerfair.com/ And then I put on my hat carefully. That's it!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk