Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair rats

MissHuff

A-List Customer
Small Town Girl said:
Miss Huff,I can see where you'd think it strange.I'm not quite sure about it myself.I think the wording sounds gross, "wadding up dead hair."I have personally not tried rats, although I am saving some hair to try that.I'll try it if you do.I think that I can have enough hair ready pretty soon.What do you think,do you want to try it?[huh]

Ok Let's do it. I'm gonna start today, I have a little porcelain box that would be a great makeshift receiver.

Kim_B

Practically Family
epr25 said:
I'll have to try that. My real hair won't hold teasing. I could tease it to an inch of it's life and a few minuted later just put my fingers through it. This is a good option for me.

Epr25, I've seen your hair in person and it looks mahvelous, dahlink! ;)

Wow, that sounds a bit stalkerish...hehe, sorry! :eek:

Small Town Girl

One of the Regulars
MissHuff said:
Ok Let's do it. I'm gonna start today, I have a little porcelain box that would be a great makeshift receiver.
Excellant!!! I don't know why I didn't think about storing mine in a box,that's a great idea! I'll start tonight.Good luck!:)

kerry

One of the Regulars
jitterbugdoll said:
A friend of mine is actually giving me a couple of hair rats (made from real hair) from the 1940s. I suppose that it could be considered gross to wear someone else's hair, but for some reason it's not bothering me too much. However, I think I will avoid leaving them (or those made from my own hair) sitting out on my vanity or bathroom counter, because they do look rather icky. lol

Just caught up with this thread. My teenage son thought I was gross when I asked him to save me his hair (he has long hair). :)

MissHuff

A-List Customer
Just thought I'd give a little update on how my rat is going so far. I'm 3/4 of the way there to a good sized rat. Now the fiance thinks I have a problem with hair because I carry tweezers with me at all times to pluck my eyebrows and I have a box full of hair on my vanity.lol

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
For those of you who try foam rats, in order to get the pins to stick in it, you have to pull the plastic tips off of your hair/bobby pins. Then they'll stick in with no problem!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Miztorif said:
I found this site recently. I have not ordered from it so I dont know how good or bad they are, but I plan on ordering soon. I am still learning how to do rolls. I am at work right now & cant add my avatar picture, I looked like Mickey Mouse the first time I did them!

http://secure.ultracart.com/catalog/KREMB/up_do_rollers/

OK...I LOVE YOU!

LOVE LOVE LOVE with great big huge fantastical capital letters!

I used to have numerous sets of the corkscrew looking things, they were the only thing that held my curly hair up...over time, I lost all but one of them, and the store I got them at had long since closed.

you found them for me!

Have I mentioned that I LOVE YOU ?

Miztorif

New in Town
Miss Neecerie said:
OK...I LOVE YOU!

LOVE LOVE LOVE with great big huge fantastical capital letters!

I used to have numerous sets of the corkscrew looking things, they were the only thing that held my curly hair up...over time, I lost all but one of them, and the store I got them at had long since closed.

you found them for me!

Have I mentioned that I LOVE YOU ?

Wow, and this is only my second post!- Its good to be a noob :)

Miztorif

New in Town
Miss Neecerie said:
oh...and "Welcome to the Lounge"!

*pulls out the really posh velvety vanity chair and makes you a super swell drink*

Why Thanks
(I moved the rest to the appropriate thread-Thanks for the heads up

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Miztorif said:
Why Thanks :):eek:fftopic:
I didnt see an introduce yourself thread so here goes. I am 36 I live in Montery, Ca. I have been a life long fan of 1940-1950's style & culture. I am "recreating" myself. I have been trying to teach myself the hair & makeup techniques. So far I havent maimed myself too badly (My parents really wanted a boy, but I am able to work on cars but curlers perplex me)
However I am more into the pinup look :) I cant think of anything else now-so I am so glad I have joined this group & I look forward to meeting everyone.
Tori

There is one in the Powder Room: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=4323

and another one somewhere In the Observation Bar....

Monterey is a lovely town....I have fond memories of visits there.

Small Town Girl

One of the Regulars
I thought that I'd update my progress.I have one rat made already and am working on another.
Miss Huff I think that's so funny! I only just saw your post!Congratulations!

nyx

One of the Regulars
This is going to sound really dumb :eek: I've heard of rats before, but haven't used them. The idea of making my own sounds great since I lose crazy amounts of hair and need a lift when doing rolls. I get the general idea of them; however, would anyone mind posting a picture of one of your homemade rats, so I have a better idea of what I'm doing? I am a boob when it comes to sewing anything, so I need a picture to help.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
ROFL!! Well, I might take a picture tomorrow, eww.... they were are nasty looking little "critters".
I take a big wad of hair and kinda roll it in my hands sorta like making a play dough snake. Just till it's about 3-4 inches long or so and then pat the ends to make it more blunt. Hope that makes sense! I don't use them very often, and if I did I would proably put a few stiches in them, use the panty hose over them, or a hairnet to keep them together more. As it is, I just reshape them somewhat each time I need them.
Nikki

MissHuff

A-List Customer
As gross as it sounds I seem to have lost my hair rat somewhere in the chaos of rearranging my bedroom. I finally got enough hair to get it together and I kind of wadded it all up until it all kinda looked like a wad of steel wool and wrapped it up in a hairnet to keep it all together. I wish I knew where I put it.. [huh] Oh well, I lose soo much hair it won't be long till I'm ready to make a new one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran