Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair rats

kerry

One of the Regulars
I am collecting my hair to make my own rats, but as this is going to take ages I wondered if anyone could advice me on which length to buy and also if anyone knows a uk website which sells them? I found this site, but it would save me on postage to buy from the Uk. http://www.adiscountbeauty.com/page73.html
Thanks
Kerry:)

Cheesecakecutie

Familiar Face
hi there i got one in a hairdresser supply shop called Sallys on hambridge lane Newbury...hope that helps...they may have a web site or you could ring them ! hope that helps x[huh]

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
There is a Sallys in central london too, I went there about a year back and I can't remember exactly where it was somewhere near Shaftesbury Avenue. I will find out for you. They had the spongey rats there when I visited.

I made my own out of hair stuffed into tights that I cut and sewed up. I didn't have a lot of hair saved up so I snipped up some tights and used that as stuffing too and it worked very well.The good thing about this is you can squash them about to change the shape of them if you need too by pulling the filling around.

Hope that's of some use.:)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Hi~
I think the stockings and false or real hair rats work much better than the foam ones. I have a hard time getting pins to stick into those, and also they're *so* pefrectly shaped that it looks unatural sometimes. The others you can mold to the shape of your head, where as the foam ones seem too stiff and can stick out from your head.
Best wishes!
Nikki

Sunny

One Too Many
ohairas said:
Hi~
I think the stockings and false or real hair rats work much better than the foam ones. I have a hard time getting pins to stick into those, and also they're *so* pefrectly shaped that it looks unatural sometimes. The others you can mold to the shape of your head, where as the foam ones seem too stiff and can stick out from your head.
Best wishes!
Nikki

I ditto that completely.

I actually use rats all the time for my 1860s hairstyles - I just got back from an event at which I did my hair (in a tent in the middle of the woods!) that way for five days straight. My rats are made from hair off my brush. I wadded it up and wrapped it in those super-invisible nylon filament hairnets. It's completely invisible, very moldable, and can be pinned through unlike the foam ones or even the stocking ones. And even if I miss hiding a little bit, it's still my hair and doesn't show up like foam. If it's taking a long time to gather your own hair, you can use a cheap hank of synthetic hair to stuff into the net. Sally's, over here, has hair hanks for $5.

Cheesecakecutie

Familiar Face
actually use rats all the time for my 1860s hairstyles - I just got back from an event at which I did my hair (in a tent in the middle of the woods!) that way for five days straight. My rats are made from hair off my brush. I wadded it up and wrapped it in those super-invisible nylon filament hairnets. It's completely invisible, very moldable, and can be pinned through unlike the foam ones or even the stocking ones. And even if I miss hiding a little bit, it's still my hair and doesn't show up like foam. If it's taking a long time to gather your own hair, you can use a cheap hank of synthetic hair to stuff into the net. Sally's, over here, has hair hanks for $5

That is a fabulous idea do you just sew the hair net up when you have enough hair??? I have very long hair as do my daughters should fill a hair net in a week i reckon. ooooh am excited....squeak:D

Sunny

One Too Many
Cheesecakecutie said:
That is a fabulous idea do you just sew the hair net up when you have enough hair??? I have very long hair as do my daughters should fill a hair net in a week i reckon. ooooh am excited....squeak:D

Well, "enough" hair is just up to you. :) The goal is to have a wad of hair (or two wads) that's the size and shape you want your rat to be. The nets are very, very fine, the "invisible" ones that come in little envelopes. All I did was put the hair in it and just wrap the net around it multiple times. It's hard to describe, but just do it and you'll see. There's no need to sew it or secure it in any other way.

I have long hair, too! And it's fairly thick, and a lot always comes out on my brush. It still took me several weeks to accumulate enough for my rats. I think I stored it in an old medicine bottle. A hair receiver would've been nice!

MissHuff

A-List Customer
I keep meaning to save my hair to make rats out of because I lose such a ridiculous amount throughout the day. You can literally find it everywhere in my house. The running joke is that if you visit my house you leave with a piece of me.. :rage: Although it's my own hair something irks me about making a rat out of it for the purpose of stuffing my hairdo. I don't know why. It's just dead hair.

Does anyone else feel a little weird about it?

Small Town Girl

One of the Regulars
Do I think it's weird?

Miss Huff,I can see where you'd think it strange.I'm not quite sure about it myself.I think the wording sounds gross, "wadding up dead hair."I have personally not tried rats, although I am saving some hair to try that.I'll try it if you do.I think that I can have enough hair ready pretty soon.What do you think,do you want to try it?[huh]

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I too have wads lying around, lol! They do look nasty!!
I'm waiting to find the perfect hair reciever for my vanity. There are some nice ones on the bay, but I need to stay off the bay right now... been very bad!!

Nikki

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
I bought a vanity set for my dresser that had the perfect hair recepticle (sp?) and in about a week I filled it with hair.

I have some hair rats that a friend gave me from when she used to dress vintage "back in the day" (that day being the height of the swing craze from 1996 to 2000) and whenever I use them, they seem so well, BIG. So I want to make my own a bit smaller as to not overwhelm my face.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
A friend of mine is actually giving me a couple of hair rats (made from real hair) from the 1940s. I suppose that it could be considered gross to wear someone else's hair, but for some reason it's not bothering me too much. However, I think I will avoid leaving them (or those made from my own hair) sitting out on my vanity or bathroom counter, because they do look rather icky. lol

epr25

Practically Family
I'll have to try that. My real hair won't hold teasing. I could tease it to an inch of it's life and a few minuted later just put my fingers through it. This is a good option for me.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
epr25 said:
I'll have to try that. My real hair won't hold teasing. I could tease it to an inch of it's life and a few minuted later just put my fingers through it. This is a good option for me.

Sounds like hair rats would be perfect for you. You will have to let us know how you fare with them. :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner