Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Aero Leather advice - lightweight CXFQHH or Pinnacle?

Bullitt

New in Town
When I bought my Aero BR Jacket, I could choose between Vicenza and heavy FQHH CXL. Back then Vicenza was a relatively new option. There were many examples of great looking well worn FQHH jackets here, but the stiffness put me off a bit and as I wear it casually, I ordered Vicenza.

I have been happy with my choice. The jacket is lined with a braeriach (mid-weight) tartan fabric and, with a wool jumper underneath, it keeps me warm in cold weather (- 10 ˚C) without being stiff.

The only thing I don’t like is that I probably can’t wear the jacket in rainy weather, because of the vegetable tanning process. A FQHH jacket with all the oils is almost waterproof, but rather stiff in the cold.

I really enjoyed visiting the Aero factory and it’s only 5.5 hours on the train from Kings Cross to Galashiels.

Last edited:

jkohlx

New in Town
I really enjoyed visiting the Aero factory and it’s only 5.5 hours on the train from Kings Cross to Galashiels.

Thanks. It is tempting to visit the factory despite it being quite far (although I realise it's comparably close to many members on here!) - but wondering what you gain from going to the factory, rather than an experienced retailer like Bolt? They have leather + lining samples at Bolt, jackets to try, and it's a 5 minute walk from where I live!

Bullitt

New in Town
When I bought the jacket, Bolt only had a few samples, therefore I took the train to Galashiels. At the factory, I could try on different jackets and got good advice about all the details from Denny, the founder’s son. To be honest, I had to go to Edinburgh anyway, so it was just a small detour. I quite liked visiting the place where the jackets are produced. I am sure Bolt does a good job and they will give you great advice too.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
The only thing I don’t like is that I probably can’t wear the jacket in rainy weather, because of the vegetable tanning process. A FQHH jacket with all the oils is almost waterproof, but rather stiff in the cold.
Same for me as @MrProper said. It never bothered me to wear a veg tan leather jacket in the rain. On the contrary, that is only good for the jacket (mold to your body). There are also quite some difference in veg tan to veg tan, different tanneries different leather. My FW leather jackets have always withstood the rain well. Of course, it's different if you wear a leather jacket to a motorcycle ride, where the water column is of course much higher than when you go for a walk in the rain.

Bullitt

New in Town
That's good to know, @MrProper and @58panheadfan.

I wore the jacket a couple of times in a drizzle and wiped it dry with a terry cloth at home. No problem. However I thought proper rain, when the leather soaks up the water, wouldn’t be good for the Vicenza.

DamonCyclee

Familiar Face
Same for me as @MrProper said. It never bothered me to wear a veg tan leather jacket in the rain. On the contrary, that is only good for the jacket (mold to your body). There are also quite some difference in veg tan to veg tan, different tanneries different leather. My FW leather jackets have always withstood the rain well. Of course, it's different if you wear a leather jacket to a motorcycle ride, where the water column is of course much higher than when you go for a walk in the rain.

It builds Patina, but must be careful of the tannage, some of them will give you perm rain spots. But again, depends on person preference IMO, depends on how bothered you are about it.

jkohlx

New in Town
Hello again! Back with a leather query - I placed my order through Bolt at the beginning of December and requested the lighter weight CXFQHH - but have now been told all the light weight skins have been used up, which is frustrating as you can imagine. I now have the option of sticking with CXFQHH in a mid weight, or switching to Vicenza or Badalassi, which has the shine I'm after. I want to make sure the jacket is wearable and doesn't take forever to break in... thoughts welcome!

Khilij

One of the Regulars
Another supporter of CXL Steer. I have a jacket in black CXL SH, it's fantastic stuff. Gets you that weight as well as being more comfortable out of the box, in my opinion. I don't think it will disappoint you. I've never had a jacket that was made of CXL FQHH, but its reputation for stiffness has long steered me away from it, personally.

jkohlx

New in Town
Back with an update - the jacket finally arrived - but has been made wrong. I ordered a zip sleeve highwayman, and received a highwayman with zip sleeves. It looks like I'm going to be stuck with it, as I'm being told the jacket was custom made for me and won't be able to be sold on. A very frustrating process and I wish i'd just ordered directly through Aero as I don't know how the miscommunication happened. The jacket looks great (it's lightweight CXL FQHH), but I prefer the design of the zip sleeve highwayman - hence why I ordered it!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 15.41.25.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 15.41.25.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 83

jkohlx

New in Town
I agree it's confusing - but you'd think that the people making/selling would understand the nuances. Zip sleeve highwayman is a different pattern, with yoke across the chest and without chest pocket. Highwayman has a chest pocket. They've made me a custom highwayman, with zipped sleeves...
What are the differences between a highwayman with zip sleeves and a zip sleeve highwayman? Sounds confusing.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Thanks for clarifying! So weird that your order was shipped without QC pictures confirmed by the customer. Seems like it should be a mandatory step in the process.

jkohlx

New in Town
Thanks for clarifying! So weird that your order was shipped without QC pictures confirmed by the customer. Seems like it should be a mandatory step in the process.
Is this something that one usually receives? I sent multiple emails confirming the style that I wanted, but it seems to be a lost cause.

jkohlx

New in Town
You went through Thurston? And they refuse to refund/redo? It is their mistake.
It was through Bolt, and yep they are refusing to do anything about it, saying that 'the jacket is very close to what was expected' and that they won't be able to sell on as it's heavily customised. Disappointing!

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Holy crap that sounds awful. Seems like a real douche move by Bolt while Aero did everything correctly. I'd contact Aero if I were and report how Bolt treated you as a customer. Hard to believe that Aero would be ok with this.

Last edited:

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It was through Bolt, and yep they are refusing to do anything about it, saying that 'the jacket is very close to what was expected' and that they won't be able to sell on as it's heavily customised. Disappointing!
It went badly. Strictly speaking, they didn't deliver what was ordered, unless the description allows for an interpretation. Customised or not. Close to what was ordered probably doesn't count. If you wanted to, you could start a legal dispute. But is it worth it?
I would probably warn against this company in every forum and on social media and present the case. Then everyone can form their own judgement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner