Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hairspray a la Travola.

Feraud

Bartender
There is just so much wrong with a remake of Hairspray. Starting with casting John Travolta in the role made famous by Divine and ending with John Waters approval.
See here for the full article.
LAS VEGAS - John Travolta fans finally have their two big wishes: His return to movie musicals after almost 30 years and his first role as a plump Baltimore housewife.

Travolta heads the bill in a new production of "Hairspray," whose cast helped preview the film Wednesday night and blew the roof off the joint with show-stopping footage and live music-and-dance numbers at ShoWest, an annual convention of theater owners.

"I've had the itch for 30 years" to return to movie musicals, said Travolta, who wears a fat suit and prosthetic jowls for the gender-bending part, his first musical role since 1978's "Grease."

Nothing screams, "I can't act!!" than a guy in a fatsuit with jowls.

Shearer

Practically Family
Feraud said:
Nothing screams, "I can't act!!" than a guy in a fatsuit with jowls.

Where's Eddie Murphy? I thought he paid producers to let him wear a fat suit nowadays...

Seriously. Bad idea.

Feraud

Bartender
Shearer said:
Where's Eddie Murphy? I thought he paid producers to let him wear a fat suit nowadays...

Seriously. Bad idea.
Eddie Murphy. How can so good go so wrong?

On the next Celebrity Death Match. John Travolta versus Eddie Murphy in their respective fat suits.

Big Momma (Martin Lawrence) to referee.

Shearer

Practically Family
chicks_small.jpg

Round Card Girls?

(Fat suit... fake boobs... close enough)

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Was there ever a movie 'Hairspray' in the first place????????????? Wow, never heard of it [huh] hmmmm... a remake of something i never saw... and will never see... what fun :p lol

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I set up the convetion rooms at the Paris and Balleys for ShoWest, and when I saw the movie posters for Hairspray my first thought was that it has not been long enough for them to remake it. Ricki was in it only in 1988, come one now.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Im getting confused...

John Waters was on the Daily show last week. They are doing a movie version of the musical play that was based on the original movie (that I adore). :eusa_doh:

But to his amusement, John Waters made the comment of "I hope it ends up an iceshow..." lol

*sigh* I think Ill just stick to the original, and be happy.

LD

RyFranzese24

Familiar Face
I actually got to meet John Waters in November, and talked to him for a little bit. He was very nice and completely what you would expect him to be like in person. He said that it was too bad Divine couldn't do it, and that if he were alive today, he would want the part. He said Travolta is great and is doing a good job. I've seen some footage and I think it'll be okay. I'm looking forward to it, though. And, I hear Waters has a cameo as 'The Flasher' in the opening number.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner