Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hairstyist Reccomendations and Referrals

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Ulta Lux look Really nice.. I will have to call for pricing.. kind of on a budget and as much as I would love the full treatment.. I cant afford it.. lol

I love thier myspace!

decodoll

Practically Family
Trying to decide if it's worth it to drive 2 1/2 hours to have my hair done! Hollywood Ultra appears to have moved to New Hampshire. I don't suppose anyone has recommendations for someone in Rhode Island or maybe north eastern CT? I'm guessing not...

My hair was getting horrible, so I finally chose a salon the other day and went in. Rather randomly because I know no one here. It came out fine, but they all seemed very scared of the bright shade of red I requested. They all loved it when they finished, but it wasn't really the red I asked for, and I had brought a picture with me. Plus, the only reason I went into a salon to get my hair coloured was because my OB wanted me to instead of doing it myself because she said they could keep it off my scalp more. However, the stylist put it on with a squeeze bottle instead of mixing it in a bowl and using a brush. I've never seen this done before... it's unusual, right? I could have done that just as well myself! As far as the cut, I just got the teeniest trim and some long layers put in, and I watched her like a hawk! lol I told her I like to set it and do vintage styles, so she decides she's going to curl it for me (curling iron) at the end.... I ended up with a 70's pageboy... I swear I have pics of me from elementary school with this style. :p

balgal

New in Town
Originally Posted by decodoll

the stylist put it on with a squeeze bottle instead of mixing it in a bowl and using a brush.

Really, they did it that way?

Whell this all depends on the length of your hair, if you wanted an all over color, and what brand of color that they will be using (Kadus, Paul Mitchel, etc). I would definately say bowl and brush for the application!!

And if you havent all ready done this, check around town and see what salons offer the best service, and who would take your lifestyle important.

decodoll

Practically Family
Yeah, I searched the internet high and low for reviews of salons... nothing. I don't have anyone to ask because we're fairly new here, and I work from home and don't know anyone.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
For Boston area gals, I highly recommend Miss Laura's on South St in Jamaica Plain! They understand vintage stuff and even have gals there who know how to finger wave. Dominique in particular is good with vintagey stuff.

The best part is that a cut is only $30 and the whole salon is full of vintage stuff - chairs, dryers, you name it!

decodoll

Practically Family
KittyT said:
For Boston area gals, I highly recommend Miss Laura's on South St in Jamaica Plain! They understand vintage stuff and even have gals there who know how to finger wave. Dominique in particular is good with vintagey stuff.

The best part is that a cut is only $30 and the whole salon is full of vintage stuff - chairs, dryers, you name it!

hmmm... I have a friend who lives in Jamaica Plain... maybe a trip to the salon is in order next time I visit her. :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
decodoll said:
hmmm... I have a friend who lives in Jamaica Plain... maybe a trip to the salon is in order next time I visit her. :)

Be sure to book ahead. Don't need a ton of time, but usually a couple of weeks. It's a small place and i think they only have 2 stylists.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
roots66 said:
I wish I could find a place like Miss Laura's here. I read a lovely article about it a while back:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ar...ngs_their_curlers_one_beauty_of_a_friendship/

Oooh thanks for posting that! What a sweet article. And as I said, the prices are better than almost anyplace else in Boston - $30 for a wash and cut and $40 for a partial color (got my blond roots redone), and you can't beat that anywhere! I had a conversation about setting lotion with the punky, pierced gal who did my hair, while we tried to explain fingerwaving to the receptionist.

Next time I go in, I may see if one of the gals is willing to let me pay her for a private instruction session in pincurling or fingerwaving.

Here are some pics.

This one must be old. Those dryers are in a different spot now -
l

l

One of my fellow derby gals being done up in a 60s bouffant!
http://misshoneys.blogspot.com/2008/05/it-aint-easy-being-dame.html
caitlin+002.jpg

caitlin+011.jpg

caitlin+015.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I forgot - I've never had her do my hair, but Shelly at Dellaria salon in Coolidge Corner in Brookline (Boston area) would probably also be a good bet. She's a local pinup girl who's an ace at vintage hair and MUA. She's done a lot of makeup and hairstyling for FL's own Timothy Steiner's pinup photography. You can see examples of her work through his Myspace page or her own (on herself) at http://www.myspace.com/shellsbells.

Antje

One Too Many
ohairas said:
Girls, as a stylst I just want to say that we really *don't* cut the "same way" anymore. And for that matter, not ONE stylist cuts the same as ANY other. Hairstyling is an art and we all do it completely different. However, a good stylist should be able to look at pictures of either diagrams or finished styles and know how it's cut.
When I went to school in 90, we had to learn all of the old school stuff... pin curls, skip waves, fingers waves, the works. They don't even teach that nowadays!

This also means that you really shouldn't go looking for a *salon*. A salon as a whole does not mean that each stylist working there does the same thing or techniques. Word of mouth is always the best referral, and yes you can call salons and see if they specialize in retro hair or have someone there who does. Even if a salon sends their staff to classes, doesn't mean each person will learn it correctly, ect. Don't be afraid to ask for some sort of portfolio of clients they have done.

Usually the only stylists who can do this sort of work are those who are really interested in it themselves. They've taken the time to research, or they just have a knack for creating great artistic dos. Feel free to take in research that you've printed out or whatever... but if they don't seem interested then they probably won't do a good job because they won't enjoy it.

There are also stylists who can get a retro look without the old school ways. Everything depends on your hair type and condition, along with their knowledge.

So, my advice is that if you have someone like the above stylist who is honest and willing to work with you, give them a chance. If it doesn't work out for you the first time, go back and tell them why so they understand. Don't become a chair hopper right away, flitting from stylist to stylist. You may never be happy that way. Esp. if it's as simple as the cut was too long /short, or the curl too tight. We don't know unless you tell us.

Just my two cents!
Nikki

Nikki I tottally argree I'm a hairdresser for 9 years now and when I went to school I didn't even learn a lot of things like fingerwaving etc.

But I like vintage do's a lot and that's why I practiced those things and when someone asks for a vintage or retro do I can manage it.

I can really say that some of my collegas don't even know how to do those things.
We as a team just look at the customers and ask what they want and if someone want's something retro or curly then they become my clients, if they wan't funky or maybe short or name, it they be put with one of my collegas,
but it is up to the salon how they work.

Adelaide

New in Town
Possibility Here in South Carolina

I will be scheduling an appointment in Orangeburg, SC at Beauty Time with Ursula. She is an older German lady, who after meeting her I can tell she has an eye for detail.

I brought her a vintage 1946 hairstyle book and we went through it together. She told me that she would like me to schedule two hours so we can 'play' with my hair and see what it will allow us to do! Truly sounds very sensible to me.

She told me that due to our humid climate that some of the more elaborate styles would probably not be feasible. But I am new to the hair aspect of this and am happy to start with Victory Rolls or some such easier aspect.

I'll let you know what we find out and if it turns out well I'll post some photos.

A.

Antje

One Too Many
Balgal,

I obviously went to beauty school here in the Netherlands, in Leeuwarden to be exact.

It is not a private school, the more expensice "Big" hairdressers in our neighbourhoud went to private beautyschool and people say they become better hairdressers, but I don't know about that.

imabarbedoll

New in Town
SF Stylist recommendations?

Can anyone give some good stylist recommendations in SF? Other than the WAK Shack, they're good I'd just like to have some backup options.

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
resurrecting this thread for my own selfish reasons

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone has any hair stylist recommendations for the coastal region of North Carolina.... the Wilmington area. So far I've just seen the Durham area listed and I don't think a 3 hour drive is worth a good hair cut, especially if there is someone near by that could do it. Unfortunately my random google searches have revealed nothing too promising.

xitsvivx

Familiar Face
Hey Ladies & Gents!
I just wanted to let you all know that I am now available for haircuts, styling & makeup at True Salon in Palo Alto, Ca (SF BAY AREA)

I absolutely adore vintage hair (&more) and thought I'd put the word out as I know it can be frustrating to go to a stylist that just doesn't "get" your style.
Take a look at my website for samples of my work & more info!
http://makeupandhairbyvivian.webs.com

I'd love to meet some of you! =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner